Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: Does your Q5 exhibit abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd gear when you first start driving?
I have a Q5 3.0T and I HAVE this issue
16.67%
I have a Q5 3.0TDI and I HAVE this issue
14.44%
I have a Q5 2.0T and I HAVE this issue
23.33%
I have an SQ5 and I HAVE this issue
14.44%
I have a Q5 3.0T and I DO NOT have this issue
11.11%
I have a Q5 3.0TDI and I DO NOT have this issue
8.89%
I have a Q5 2.0T and I DO NOT have this issue
7.78%
I have an SQ5 and I DO NOT have this issue
5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd gear on a cold engine?

Old 03-31-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Good luck. Hope this or another TPI specific to your Q5 applies, and that dealer updates the TCM firmware correcting the 1-2 harsh gear shifting issue.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '14 TDI and I've noticed this. It seems to happen more often if the auto stop/start system is activated
Old 04-07-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

At this late date, I'd like to add in that I've 'solved' this problem on my car. I noticed the fumfering and bad shifting when I start up, and have to slow/stop/turn as I'm getting out onto the road and my vehicle speed is changing, but still at 'walking' speeds.

If I put the car in Sport mode instead of Drive? No problems at all.

Which proves to me that the transmission programming is making bad shifts because it can't quite figure out what to do at certain low speeds and throttle calls. Putting it in Sport literally tells the transmission "OK, hold your gear down, don't upshift" and apparently prevents the premature upshifts, which then result in immediate downshifts again when in Drive mode.

Solution? Have the wetware with the gray mass take over the shifting.

Or get a Chevy.(G)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
At this late date, I'd like to add in that I've 'solved' this problem on my car. I noticed the fumfering and bad shifting when I start up, and have to slow/stop/turn as I'm getting out onto the road and my vehicle speed is changing, but still at 'walking' speeds.

Which proves to me that the transmission programming is making bad shifts because it can't quite figure out what to do at certain low speeds and throttle calls. Putting it in Sport literally tells the transmission "OK, hold your gear down, don't upshift" and apparently prevents the premature upshifts, which then result in immediate downshifts again when in Drive mode.

Or get a Chevy.(G)
I really don't know how anyone can drive a 2.0T Q5 in D mode, and not Sport. I find D mode the most sluggish performing dog of any vdhicle that I ever owned. If my 2014 only came with D mode the Q5 would have been unloaded in a month on something else. OK so you may lose 1-2 mpg, but do people that spend $45-60K on a vehicle really worry about 1-2 mpg less! I'm very happy with my 2.0T engine/tans performance when driven in sport mode.

Also performing a throttle body adpation occassionaly with VCDS restores crisp acceleration and crisp shifting. My trans upshifts/downshifts so smoothly with a hot/cold engine it almost feels like a CVT trans.

Go read the next gen 2018 test drive comments, the trans shifting now seems to be more annoying....progress!!!

My 2014 warranty runs out in June, so I need to go shortly to the dealer to have the PCV valve(recall)and crazed headlights replaced, and the aux heating element and aux cooling pump coding done. I'll test drive the 2018 just to see how badly the trans performs. I will not be buying a 2018 Q5 I just could never get passed that glued on IPAD display look, bloated body style, and fake exhaust ports.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 04-07-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob, just this weekend I was thinking along similar lines. WTF would anyone want to drive an automatic at all? (Oh, right, stop-n-go bumper to bumper traffic.(G)

I find no matter how the car is shifting, it can't anticipate what I am going to do next, so it simply is in the wrong gear. But realistically, who can call a 4500# petit behemoth a driver's car? I mean, pink hippo's in tutu's doing ballet, that's cute, but it ain't the Bolshoi, and it ain't ever gonna be, right?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd

Or get a Chevy.(G)
just to clarify, what you described above is not what I referred to in OP.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I really don't know how anyone can drive a 2.0T Q5 in D mode, and not Sport. I find D mode the most sluggish performing dog of any vdhicle that I ever owned. If my 2014 only came with D mode the Q5 would have been unloaded in a month on something else. OK so you may lose 1-2 mpg, but do people that spend $45-60K on a vehicle really worry about 1-2 mpg less! I'm very happy with my 2.0T engine/tans performance when driven in sport mode.

Also performing a throttle body adpation occassionaly with VCDS restores crisp acceleration and crisp shifting. My trans upshifts/downshifts so smoothly with a hot/cold engine it almost feels like a CVT trans.

Go read the next gen 2018 test drive comments, the trans shifting now seems to be more annoying....progress!!!

My 2014 warranty runs out in June, so I need to go shortly to the dealer to have the PCV valve(recall)and crazed headlights replaced, and the aux heating element and aux cooling pump coding done. I'll test drive the 2018 just to see how badly the trans performs. I will not be buying a 2018 Q5 I just could never get passed that glued on IPAD display look, bloated body style, and fake exhaust ports.
I drove my 2013 Q5 in D mode virtually 100% of the time with no issues. I'd use Sport occasionally just to make use it still worked. I just comes down to driving styles and preference. Having the choice is good.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I drove my 2013 Q5 in D mode virtually 100% of the time with no issues. I'd use Sport occasionally just to make use it still worked. I just comes down to driving styles and preference. Having the choice is good.
I respect everyone's driving style, I'm an old agressive driver and this Q5 is my first non-manual trans vehicle. Just curious.......My question to you is what you didn't like about Sport over D to change back to D mode?
Old 04-07-2017, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I respect everyone's driving style, I'm an old agressive driver and this Q5 is my first non-manual trans vehicle. Just curious.......My question to you is what you didn't like about Sport over D to change back to D mode?
I'm an old (not too aggressive these days) driver too - I drive aggressive enough to get around in city and suburban traffic but that's about it. In traffic, I found the throttle in Sport to be too hyper and jumpy for my taste. Having said that, I'm sure I'd learn to modulate it if I used it all the time, but just didn't find the need for it.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I'm an old (not too aggressive these days) driver too - I drive aggressive enough to get around in city and suburban traffic but that's about it. In traffic, I found the throttle in Sport to be too hyper and jumpy for my taste. Having said that, I'm sure I'd learn to modulate it if I used it all the time, but just didn't find the need for it.
Good answer, thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd gear on a cold engine?