Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop&Go

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop&Go

I saw somewhere mentioned that you can get Q7 with Stop&Go functionality. I'm considering hybrid Q5, but does Adaptive Cruise Control have Stop and Go functionality in that?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default No adaptive cruise, let alone stop & go on a Hybrid

Would have gotten it if it was available on my 2013 Hybrid, but the Hybrid doesn't have adaptive cruise either standard or optionally. Same for 2014, where the only real change for Hybrids was a few more color choices.

One of the few things missing where you have to get one of the six cylinder models--basically this and Drive Select IIRC.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zico
I saw somewhere mentioned that you can get Q7 with Stop&Go functionality. I'm considering hybrid Q5, but does Adaptive Cruise Control have Stop and Go functionality in that?
Unfortunately no version of the Q5/SQ5 has ACC w/ Stop & Go functionality. As far as I know neither does the Q7. I believe that ACC w/ S&G starts on the A6 and up in the US. Not sure about European models.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

ROW have had stop/start for several years and it was actually introduced to the U.S. with the A6/A7 in 2013 models as a standard feature. It's not directly related to ACC as it appears in those models without that option.

Unlike with previous Euro models, the A6/A7 Stop/start can not only be deactivated at the push of a button but will remember the setting next time the car is started. Which is a good thing for me as I don't care for it. I don't sit in daily traffic so whatever tiny gas mileage or emissions improvement would be gained is minimal. While others find it acceptable, for me it's annoying, particularly if I want to make a fast getaway from a stop - there is an ever so slight delay that I find disconcerting. And there's the extra starter and battery workouts over time consideration.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned Start/Stop has been standard on Euro Q5's for some time - and is not related to ACC.

It is related to Hill Hold Assist though...

If you come to a stop, and are very light on the brake, the engine will not cut out, if you are heavier/normal in the amount of pressure you applied as you come to a stop it will.
Once you lift off the brake the engine will restart - but if HHA is turned on then the car will not move.
With this I find it no problem for fast getaways at junctions;
If I am going to be stopped for a while at a light, leave my foot on the brake (engine off)
If I can see I am only going to stop briefly use light braking to a a stop (engine stays on)
If I am going to stop for a while, but at the front of a queue for a junction, normal braking (engine off), lift off the brake all together as I see a gap arriving (engine starts and HHA holds the car still), floor it into the gap...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe zico was asking about the Stop & Go feature of Adaptive Cruise Control, not the Start/Stop System that isn't associated with ACC.

Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go allows the vehicle to come to a complete stop when the ACC is enabled. Once the traffic starts moving again, the cruise control resumes to it's programmed speed (or safe speed relative to the distance of the car in front of you) from a stopped position without any user input.

Either way the US Q5 doesn't have ACC w/ Stop & Go, just basic ACC - which btw is still a useful feature!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlwayzBallin3
I believe zico was asking about the Stop & Go feature of Adaptive Cruise Control, not the Start/Stop System that isn't associated with ACC.

Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go allows the vehicle to come to a complete stop when the ACC is enabled. Once the traffic starts moving again, the cruise control resumes to it's programmed speed (or safe speed relative to the distance of the car in front of you) from a stopped position without any user input.

Either way the US Q5 doesn't have ACC w/ Stop & Go, just basic ACC - which btw is still a useful feature!
Ah - yes, the Q5 is only available with the ACC that works from 19mph for engaging and down to 10mph for disengaging. Although technically the user manual says it can bring the car to a complete halt, it is only a best effort in emergency situations (not something I would want to test!), unlike the ACC /w S&G on the A6 and other Audi models which as you say will 'guarantee' bringing you to a nice gentle stop in stop/go traffic and pulling away again as it moves off.

I agree that even in the Q5 form its a very useful feature - I use it on highway and in city driving regardless - you just have to remember to brake when it 'bings' at 10mph!