Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adaptive Damping VS. Stock - Q5 TDI - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Damping VS. Stock - Q5 TDI - Worth it?

Hi Gang,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2014 Q5 TDI. Does Adaptive Damping Suspension (active damping) on the Q5 make a noticeable difference?

The Q5 I'm considering HAS it but is 1300 miles away, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle. Also, this Q5 does not have a trailer hitch, and that's important to me.

Am coming from a 2010 A6 Avant w/Sport Package, great fun to drive. Generally HATE SUVs, but good luck finding a newer sporty wagon under $30k that's not a gas hog (AMG).

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by heymatey; 01-05-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

No-one answered, I searched the forum and despite reading several threads didn't get a decisive consensus.

Anyway, I bought the one equipped with ADS. Will drive for a week in each mode and update this thread with impressions.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for about the same car, with trailer hitch preferably also.
Mind sharing where you got your car and the specifics, and, for the harder ask, what you paid for it (could send me a PM, or not - all understandable.)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Car was in FL, I am 3rd owner; 2nd had it since about 5k miles and took meticulous care of it. Was CPO for her.
Premium Plus, Sport Line Plus, Sport Interior, B&O. Dealership was asking around $24k, I got it for less.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

heymatey can't speak to the ADS because I keep my cars a long time and replacing the shocks shouldn't be a real painful experience which it is with ADS, so I went standard.
Anyway you've purchased a wonderful machine which you're likely to really enjoy.Therein lies the problem, you'll probably want to keep it long enough that this will become an issue.At that point you can install standard shocks, you'll get a warning light that you can either ignore or deal with using Vcds ?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

MurrayA4: I'd read somewhere in the forum that ADS dampers aren't that much more expensive to replace than standard shocks. When the time comes, I guess we'll see!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heymatey
Car was in FL, I am 3rd owner; 2nd had it since about 5k miles and took meticulous care of it. Was CPO for her.
Premium Plus, Sport Line Plus, Sport Interior, B&O. Dealership was asking around $24k, I got it for less.
How many miles?
The $24k is a good asking price, depending on the mileage.
Getting it for less is getting into the "you stole it "range.

Did you drive down or have it shipped?

Did you consider the white one that's for sale on here in NC?
Looks like a nice car, same equipment, tho 75K miles which is why I'm not after that one.

What part of CT are you in?
I'm in western MA, work across the street from BDL airport.

I'd like to take a harder look at a TDI then you get to do at a dealer, and quiz you on your first impressions.

Sounds like a good deal - congrats!
Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Recently purchased a 3.0T Q5 and wanted a trailer hitch as well, but opted to buy the vehicle that had all the options/colors I wanted and will add the hitch later. You can find the OEM one for $500-$600 with all the wiring online, all you need is a few hours and Vagcom.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by heymatey
Hi Gang,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2014 Q5 TDI. Does Adaptive Damping Suspension (active damping) on the Q5 make a noticeable difference?

The Q5 I'm considering HAS it but is 1300 miles away, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle. Also, this Q5 does not have a trailer hitch, and that's important to me.

Am coming from a 2010 A6 Avant w/Sport Package, great fun to drive. Generally HATE SUVs, but good luck finding a newer sporty wagon under $30k that's not a gas hog (AMG).

Many thanks in advance!
Adaptive Damping is part of the following package though I am not sure if active sport differential is an extra. If you do get adaptive Damping then it means that you have the ADS package.
Audi Drive Select (ADS) Modes: Comfort Auto Dynamic (Custom) 3-4 modes depending on year of Manufacture. Each mode selection controls the following 4-5 listed points all automatically and all instantaneously.
1. Engine response
2. Transmission response
3. Steering Wheel response (difficulty)
4. Adaptive Damping response
5. Active Sport Differential response

I have retrofitted mine (trim, switch, harness and coded ) but can only control 1 2 and 3 but I am very satisfied with this technology
This being said make sure you get a Q5 with ADS.

However if the Q5 comes with MMi you could enter the secret menu and enable the ADS (it is easier to code), without having the ADS switch and you could select the ADS mode (1 2 and 3) from the screen.

Last edited by apoelistas; 01-20-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

For the 2014 model year here in the US, ADS was only available as part of the S-Line Plus package. For 2015-16, ADS seems to have been a standalone option.

My 2014 Q5 *does* have the S-Line Plus package.

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Adaptive Damping is part of the following package though I am not sure is active sport differential is an extra. If you do get adaptive Damping then it means that you have the ADS package.
Audi Drive Select (ADS) Modes: Comfort Auto Dynamic (Custom) 3-4 modes depending on year of Manufacture. Each mode controls depending on selection the following 4-5 listed points all automatically (mode selection)
1. Engine response
2. Transmission response
3. Steering Wheel response (difficulty)
4. Adaptive Damping response
5. Active Sport Differential response

I have retrofitted mine but can only control 1 2 and 3 but I am very satisfied with this technology

This being said make sure you get a Q5 with ADS.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Damping VS. Stock - Q5 TDI - Worth it?