Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adblue Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adblue Pump Problems

I have a 2015 Q5 TDI that I purchased brand new and picked up in September of 2014, have had the vehicle replaced back in November of last year because of transmission issues, and since then I have had the Adblue code show up twice in my vehicle. Audi has been great at replacing the pump without issue, but this time the code popped up after they changed the pump when they took it for a test drive. Looks like the issue will need further troubleshooting and they need to escalate to Audi Canada. Apparently there is an issue with the pumps, not sure if others are in the same situation. I saw some threads on other Audi lines. Wanted to get a discussion started for the Q5's.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not even 100 miles into our 2015 Q5 TDI, the car threw a code on my wife's way home from work:

1 Fault Found:
9645 - Reductant
P20E8 00 [237] - Pressure too Low
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 44 km
Date: 2014.10.17
Time: 09:08:39

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

Audi replaced the reductant (Adblue) pump & gasket and all has been just fine since (~4K miles now). I chalked it up to a case of infant mortality but I suppose there could have been a bad batch of pumps out there too. We took delivery in mid-October (car ordered in July and built in Sept) if that info helps any.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same adblu fault pop up 3 times. Dealer replaced pump every time. I opened a case with AOA with an attorney and they agreed to replace my vehicle. This time i asked for a 3.0T instead of TDI as the experience was bad for me. SUrprised to see these issues popping up more often.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mihar
I have a 2015 Q5 TDI that I purchased brand new and picked up in September of 2014, have had the vehicle replaced back in November of last year because of transmission issues, and since then I have had the Adblue code show up twice in my vehicle. Audi has been great at replacing the pump without issue, but this time the code popped up after they changed the pump when they took it for a test drive. Looks like the issue will need further troubleshooting and they need to escalate to Audi Canada. Apparently there is an issue with the pumps, not sure if others are in the same situation. I saw some threads on other Audi lines. Wanted to get a discussion started for the Q5's.
Wow. You've had really bad luck with the Q5. Two Q5s with issues is somewhat shocking to me. My 14 TDi has been perfect for the last 9K. Hopefully this issue has been resolved by Audi.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gautamssc21
I had the same adblu fault pop up 3 times. Dealer replaced pump every time. I opened a case with AOA with an attorney and they agreed to replace my vehicle. This time i asked for a 3.0T instead of TDI as the experience was bad for me. SUrprised to see these issues popping up more often.
Dreading having to get the car replaced, this would make it the second time. Let's see what AOC says about it. I really like the TDI option for the gas consumption hopefully they can solve for the Adblue pump issue.

Last edited by mihar; 04-01-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CharlieG
Not even 100 miles into our 2015 Q5 TDI, the car threw a code on my wife's way home from work:

1 Fault Found:
9645 - Reductant
P20E8 00 [237] - Pressure too Low
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 44 km
Date: 2014.10.17
Time: 09:08:39

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

Audi replaced the reductant (Adblue) pump & gasket and all has been just fine since (~4K miles now). I chalked it up to a case of infant mortality but I suppose there could have been a bad batch of pumps out there too. We took delivery in mid-October (car ordered in July and built in Sept) if that info helps any.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hopefully it is a bad batch issue which can be resolved
Old 04-01-2015, 12:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will keep this post updated on what I hear next. When I had my first replacement, Audi of Canada did right by me. Hoping for a resolution this time also.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting.

I have both my 2014 TDI and 2015 TDI Adblue sensors replaced as well..before they hit 10K

Thought it was weird....dealer said it wasn't an issue. GO FIGURE!?!?!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mihar
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hopefully it is a bad batch issue which can be resolved
Most likely that's what it is, I'm up to 21K problem-free miles on my 2014 TDI and I haven't seen much of anything around here indicating a lot of people are running into it (but if there's a bad lot then we may see more in the nearish future -- hopefully Audi gets the problem resolved and puts a TSB out so anyone with a pump from a bad lot can get replaced easier, and hopefully before running into problems).

All cars have a lot of parts in them, and QC is never 100% no matter how hard you try, so part failures are going to happen. What matters is that the incidence rate is as low as possible and the manufacturer takes care of the issue if it's obviously not just "wear" and cracks the appropriate heads in the supply chain if there's a bad lot (vs. one or two individual parts).
Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have had this issue many times on the 335d. Urea is relatively new technology for cars. Urea crystallizes very easy and messes up pumps and sensors. These are all issues that should be covered under your emissions warranty.

Quick Reply: Adblue Pump Problems