Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adding Automatic Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So either Vin look up is wrong or for some reason the settings are missing from my computer: According to the Vin look up tool on this site:

18" 10-spoke v design alloy wheels
235/65R18 all-season tires
Temporary inflatable spare tire w/attached compressor
Black roof rails w/crossbars
Front & rear bumpers painted in body colour
Bright aluminum trim around side windows- No Bright Trim around Windows Blacked out
Automatic halogen headlights- ( has Bi- Xenon Headlights)
Auto-blink turn signal indicator
Front fog lights
LED taillights
Privacy glass
Pwr adjustable heated mirrors
Rain sensing speed sensitive wiper ( not the case as there is no settings to turn this off or on)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well I took down the rear view mirror and to my surprise I see the rain/ light sensor correct? So why don't I have the option for auto wipers or the auto switch? Could this be easier am I able just to order the light switch? Have the car coded to enable auto lights and auto wiper?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

8U0955559 is just an air humidity sensor. The correct sensor would be 8U0955559B (vehicle build date up to 05.25.2015) or 8U0955559C (vehicle build date from 05.25.2015 forward) which does air humidity, rain and light. This is even better news for you now as the wiring harness is the same positive, negative and lin bus for the correct part (no new rain/light sensor harness required). Nix your need for the auto-dimming rearview mirror unless you want to run a new harness for that too. The new rain/light sensor also requires a new gel film adhesion pad for the new sensor. There may be one in there already holding your humidity sensor in place against the windshield. If there is, you CANNOT reuse it. It must be replaced. A new gel pad is 8U0955609.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well this is great news! Thank you so much for your insight. It has been very helpful and would be lost without it.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HelixAudi,

I got an Auto Dimming Compass Mirror....well, actually 2.

1 Black
1 Gray or whatever color Audi calls it.

Came out of my 2014 and 2015 Audi Q5.

Need one, hit me up..sure we can work something out.

V/r
Dan

P.S. Good to see your still alive Chris.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Be careful what you wish for. I find the auto dimming mirrors (in all makes) just don't get dim the way that manual mirrors do.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So the Rain Sensor is on order, Light switch on order and i got a power mirror and compass off a 2013 Audi Q5 as well. I have been waiting for kufatec.com to tell me which harness i require.

Would the power dimming mirror just need a power source?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi tells me the whole car is wired for everything, so there should be harness wires for the auto mirror already in place. (Would Audi ever tell an alternative fact?(G)

In theory the mirror doesn't need "power", it needs "ignition power", i.e. a power source that is only on when your ignition is on.

Oh, and if the mirror has the usual compass built into the corner? That needs to be calibrated, see the manual. Basically you hold down a button until it shows calibration mode, drive in a slow circle until it stops, and it calibrates itself.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the quick reply and advice to calibrate it. I may have to take down the overhead panel which has map lights to see if a wire is tucked up there. My hands are way to big to poke around in the headliner.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The overhead panel is, like most Audi things, deceptively clever to remove. IIRC there is one T25 bolt hiding in the sunglass holder compartment. Drop that bolt, and the whole overhead panel comes down. Oh, and the bolt will immediately try to hide under one of the seat rails. (Don't ask me why I know this.)

If I wasn't afraid of "how to transfer all that other stuff" (the rain sensor, etc.) that's below the mirror, I'd almost be tempted to buy your old one. I've just never found an automatic dimming mirror to really dim EFFECTIVELY at night. Or, when there's just some jerk with big high glare-y lights and it isn't quite dark yet.(G)

Quick Reply: Adding Automatic Lights