Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adding Automatic Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
It requires a new windshield because the rain/light sensor mounts within the mounting point of the auto dimming rearview mirror. If rain/light sensors was spec'd on the vehicle, the auto dimming rearview mirror was part of the package. Like I said, its a lot of work.
Not true in the US. You can have the rain/light sensor, but no auto dimming rearview mirror.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Not true in the US. You can have the rain/light sensor, but no auto dimming rearview mirror.
Thanks Bob. I do stand corrected. The day/night mirror was originally offered with the rain light package in the US. Later on audi just included the auto dimming one as standard across the line. The auto dimming mirror is not required to retrofit auto headlights, however a windshield change still is.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys, well lesson learned for myself, I just assumed it was standard items, Those are things i miss on this car, memory seats. and auto headlights. I think i will add the auto dimming mirror as that doesn't' seem to be a complicated install, as long as the power cable is tucked in the headliner.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by HelixAudi
Thanks Guys, well lesson learned for myself, I just assumed it was standard items, Those are things i miss on this car, memory seats. and auto headlights. I think i will add the auto dimming mirror as that doesn't' seem to be a complicated install, as long as the power cable is tucked in the headliner.
Audi and VW don't leave extra wire in the car for features not originally spec'd to the car. Every wiring harness loom for each car is custom built to support only those features. The only exception to this would be the trailer brake wiring under the front dash that runs to the back of the car, and possibly rear seat entertainment wiring prep if ordered when the car was built. Sorry. You'll have to add that wiring too.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audi and VW don't leave extra wire in the car for features not originally spec'd to the car. Every wiring harness loom for each car is custom built to support only those features. The only exception to this would be the trailer brake wiring under the front dash that runs to the back of the car, and possibly rear seat entertainment wiring prep if ordered when the car was built. Sorry. You'll have to add that wiring too.
Hah i just can't win, well maybe i will have the wife just live with it! Not that big of deal.

Thank you so much for all your input today
Old 04-25-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Now i have found this, AUDI Q5 8R Light Rain sensor + Coming Home / Leaving Retrofit package / Upgrade | eBay i also uploaded a photo of my current mirror, it looks like it has a spot for the sensor?

My wife just want's lights to turn on a night when she hits the unlock key for safety reasons.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Club AutoUnion

Well good news for you. Looks like you already have the windshield to support the rain/light sensor. You can go through a number of parts sites to get the items to do the retrofit. Kufatec.de (emphasis on the .de part) has custom retrofit harnesses already built for purchase. You could get the harness for the rain/light sensor in combination with the auto dimming mirror connection as well. I'd check out that site for your harness. Prices are in Euros and they ship FAST! Even coming from Germany it will surprise you. As far as the parts, you could check https://www.audiwestlakeparts.com They are who I use to source a lot of my parts for my retrofits. Very competetive and quick delivery. Regarding you question about just enabling the coming home/leaving home feature, unless someone else other info I do believe the rain/light sensor is required as the car needs to know if it's dark outside to turn the lights on when you unlock the car.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well good news for you. Looks like you already have the windshield to support the rain/light sensor. You can go through a number of parts sites to get the items to do the retrofit. Kufatec.de (emphasis on the .de part) has custom retrofit harnesses already built for purchase. You could get the harness for the rain/light sensor in combination with the auto dimming mirror connection as well. I'd check out that site for your harness. Prices are in Euros and they ship FAST! Even coming from Germany it will surprise you. As far as the parts, you could check https://www.audiwestlakeparts.com They are who I use to source a lot of my parts for my retrofits. Very competetive and quick delivery. Regarding you question about just enabling the coming home/leaving home feature, unless someone else other info I do believe the rain/light sensor is required as the car needs to know if it's dark outside to turn the lights on when you unlock the car.
Well this is great news! I will start to order some parts! as for the harness they have a few different kinds:
I think it is this one:
https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/rains...8r-a4-8k-a5-8t

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/audi/...8k-a5-8t-q5-8r

As well since i have The single climate control ( has automode) i am safe to assume my existing mirror has the humidity sensor.

Thanks again for all your input! If i retro fit all this then that fixes the issue for the coming home settings.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Club AutoUnion

I would thoroughly investigate your retrofit before you buy anything. Possible parts list. Wiring diagrams. Tear down procedures. It's always good to have a plan. As with any retrofit, there is a possibility of going down a rabbit hole where you may find other parts that need to be changed (some could be very very expensive). Retrofits commonly venture into uncharted territory. Vehicle coding would also need to take place so I hope you have access to VCDS as well.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I would thoroughly investigate your retrofit before you buy anything. Possible parts list. Wiring diagrams. Tear down procedures. It's always good to have a plan. As with any retrofit, there is a possibility of going down a rabbit hole where you may find other parts that need to be changed (some could be very very expensive). Retrofits commonly venture into uncharted territory. Vehicle coding would also need to take place so I hope you have access to VCDS as well.
Yes this true, has no done this retrofit before on a Q5. Searching the fourm people have done it on the A4, and A5. As for the VCDS I have someone in my area that does
the coding as long as I can provide the codes.

Quick Reply: Adding Automatic Lights