Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advice needed: Worth waiting for TDI settlement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Advice needed: Worth waiting for TDI settlement?

Hi all, need some advice.
I have a '14 Q5 TDI, which I was planning to trade last fall. Ordered a 2016 Benz C450, put down a good sized deposit, and a few days later the 3.0 TDI was dragged into the Dieselgate fiasco. The car was already locked in for production, I still wanted it, and also expected the issue to be resolved fairly quickly. We are fast approaching a year since the news broke, and we still don't really have a light at the end of the tunnel. We still have no idea if the August 25th hearing will bring us good news, or more waiting.
I also have a CPO '12 Cayenne S, that I love and plan on keeping until the 100k warranty expires.
I have a 2 car garage, so the Audi is parked outside. I try not to let the Q sit for more than a day, and I'm pretty good about rotating the cars, but this is my first summer in this house and I'm dealing with a big chipmunk/squirrel problem. The CEL came on, and I took it into the dealer. Faulty diesel particulate sensor. The next morning they gave me a call. The good news was that the sensor itself was fine (which was a relief, it was about $900 and I'm out of warranty) but the bad news was that rodents have been eating the bottom of my car. Within three days of getting the car back, I was driving it home and got an intermittent "Oil Level! Sensor Defective" warning. It would come and go every few seconds. The next time I started it, I was getting the same type of warning but for the auto stop/start system. I looked under the car and there is a large wire dangling, obviously chewed through. To get the CEL issue fixed the first time cost me about $11 in parts but almost $400 in labor. I really can't leave the car parked outside anymore, but have no choice.
I called the dealer, and they are taking in TDIs on trade. To be honest, I don't like the C450 nearly as much as I thought I would, and it's got quite a few minor but irritating problems.
I'm considering trading the Q5 and the C450 for a new 2017 A4, but I am also hesitant- I've had two Audi diesels, and I have owned the Q5 TDI long enough that I feel like it might be worth it to wait until they figure out what is going to happen with the V6 diesels. We do have the upcoming hearing, but from what I've read the actual data required to certify the potential "fix" won't be available until at least December, and I have no interest in waiting that long.
Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on ridding myself of the TDI stress vs. potentially shooting myself in the foot should a buyback etc. happen.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similiar situation... can't believe they can drag it on this long!!! Have a chance to buy my son's 2015 Macan S but don't want to sell the Q5 at a BIG discount only to have a buyback announced two days later...
Really beginning to be really p*ssed off about this whole mess and I'm a long time Audi owner!
What a total cluster!!!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Feel your pain...sold my TDI BACK TO the DEALER for a 2017 3T Sline for an incredible deal. The deal was MUCH BETTER than I could get from either BMW or Honda Pilot or MB GLC. Did not like any of these alternatives relative to the Q5. And they were much more expensive....bonus!

We loved our Q5 TDI and wanted to stay with the Q5. Unfortunately, I did not want to keep the TDI as I felt its future was not likely to be what we wanted long term when all was said an done.

My stress levels have disappeared and I now feel pretty good about the change. Perhaps check with your Audi dealer and ask then to demonstrate the loyality that Audi is always talking about.

Just waiting for delivery now! Should be Here any day now!

Cheers
Old 08-15-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by jhumph88
Hi all, need some advice.
...I really can't leave the car parked outside anymore, but have no choice.
I called the dealer, and they are taking in TDIs on trade. To be honest, I don't like the C450 nearly as much as I thought I would, and it's got quite a few minor but irritating problems.
Can't make any comment on the US TDI situation, but if you need to go down to two cars immediately / the Audi dealer will accept your TDI as a trade / you are looking to replace the C450, perhaps trade the TDI now as a deposit on the S4 which is arriving Q1 next year, then selling the C450 when that arrives. Whilst dealers will not have the pricing spec details for a B9 S4, I suspect most would take a deposit order, with a negotiated percentage discount of course. Although with the long wait for the S4 and pent up demand, discounts likely to be modest.

I can understand why you are a bit disappointed with the C450, and feel the S4 will have the refinement and detail quality that the C450 lacks, yet all the performance. You might find the 2.0TFSI a bit lacking in mid range punch vs both your TDI and the C450. Although it is hardly slow.

Now that the C450 has been replaced by the C43, not sure what will happen to values between now and in 6 months, however. I know that the move from 7G to 9G gearbox is about the only tangible change aside from the badges and a slight adjustment of the fixed (not variable in 4Matic, which also uses open diffs) torque split front/rear, but values aren't always based on logic.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure that I understand why it makes any sense to make a move now when the end game is still unknown...?
Old 08-16-2016, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

The only reason VW settled with EPA, CARB and the civil plaintiffs on the 2.0L is because of the overwhelming liability under US law. It was cheaper for VW to settle and move on instead of facing the full fury of the Feds, States, and civil plaintiffs. I have no doubt there is as much liability per car for the 3.0L vehicles. It is only a small amount of time before we hear of the proposed 3.0L settlement. I expect to hear something in the August 26 status conference.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not holding my breath... probably more delays after the late August meeting... can't believe they can just keep dragging this on, but I guess that's the way lawyers work.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 2010 Jetta TDI and after receiving the buy back letter in the mail, if the buy back for the Q5 is anything like the 2.0, I would do it.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to say how much the Rodent lawyers at Audi will eat off the bottom of the settlement at his point.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher
Hard to say how much the Rodent lawyers at Audi will eat off the bottom of the settlement at his point.
It was in news recently. Lawyers asked Judge Breyer for $320 million on a civil settlement of $10+ billion. That's like only 3%. This judge is good.

Quick Reply: Advice needed: Worth waiting for TDI settlement?