Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake

What is a good brand air intake for the 2014 Q5 S line?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If you mean an air intake FILTER, the OEM is usually Mann, and those are widely available online.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

AWE has a performance version of the filter, which is better. Used it for some 40k before I cleaned it.
OEM air box and intake are great already, so all options out there are merely aesthetic, not really any improvement in performance.

Cheers,Bob
Old 05-03-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Performance" meaning "Allows a higher flow of air at the same micron filtering level" or
"Performance" meaning allows a higher flow of air by reducing engine life because the filtering is not as fine?

It is a rare bird that outperforms factory filtering these days, without being intended for performance--at the cost of engine wear. Or oiled filters, which can harm air mass sensors. And of course, mass marketers somehow never seem to have manometer and dyno tests to back up their claims.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The Q5 already has a cold air intake. It preforms really well already. At this point you would be changing it for style or sound. What are your goals?
Old 05-03-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Warhead
The Q5 already has a cold air intake. It performs really well already.
A-men.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nursinggrl2014
What is a good brand air intake for the 2014 Q5 S line?
Echoing what others have said. Air intakes on modern cars generally do not improve performance. They make more noise which is maybe what aftermarket buyers want. Seems like a waste of $200. Air intake improvements died around the year 2000. Since then manufacturers have figured out very well engineered factory intakes.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah don't fall victim to this type of marketing scam.It all derives from the "manufacturer" is trying to deny us hosepower phenomenon.The Germans understand how best to provide air to their engines. Don't waste your cash !
Old 05-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would respectfully disagree regarding air filters for the stock air box on the Q5. There is good data published on other boards regarding the flow characteristics of the stock airbox and filter. It is true that the box is a good design and that little is to be gained from replacing it with some other type of system. It is enclosed and receives its air from the front grill. That is as close to a cold air intake as you can get.

But, the stock filter can be improved upon. The studies I reference show that several well-designed, high filtration aftermarket drop in fliters do improve air flow.

Probably the two highest flowing filters that provide good filtration are both oiled cotton gauze design: AFE Pro 5R (part#10-10121), and K&N - 1987. I run the K&N. This is in combination with the commonly used 034 silicone throttle body intake tube. This inexpensive reinforced silicone tube is rigid and will not collapse as can the factory tube under full vacuum from supercharger boost. The tube will, however, cause some increased supercharger "whistle". It is modest, but if it bothers you, stick with the factory tube and the drop-in filter upgrade. I don't know if the 034 tube makes more power. It does reduce the likelihood that the suction from the s/c would reduce the interior diameter of the stock plastic piece which could rob you of some of the available power under WOT.

Here is the hard data: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/756701-Airbox-based-vs-Open-Intake-setups-comparison-Unexpected-results?highlight=3.oT+air+box+mod

There are absolutely zero known reports of inadequate filtration on the 3.0T supercharged engine running either of these filters for years.

I do agree that it is a waste of money and will probably degrade performance to install an aftermarket full intake system. There are gains to be made by upgrading to a higher flowing drop in filter, though, as the data confirms. I do admit that opening up the fender side of the stock air box toward the bottom (so-called air box mod), which I have also done, may be better than changing from the stock filter. One guy in that forum, Loe, has the fastest 3.0T engine Audi (an S5, I believe). He is running the modified air box and sometimes the AEF and sometimes the stock filter. He is down into the high 10's in the quarter mile, so it's flowing very, very well.

Last edited by MSQ5; 05-08-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

MSQ5 I'm not going to be a hypocrite on this one ( I run a K&N in my Alfa Gtv6 ) but seriously the gains derived from changing the actual filter are small enough to be questionable,I guess if they were HUGE I'd be even more sceptical.Just be really careful with any oiled filter cause Maf sensors don't appreciate being oiled.

Quick Reply: Air intake