Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Driver door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door lock issue

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my 2011 Q5 2.OT. Recently my door stopped locking with the key fob. It also will not 'chirp'. All other doors lock with the fob except for the driver side. We have tried: slamming the door; turning the car off and on; checking the fuse; disconnecting the battery. The lock will engage and chirp when I use the mechanical key. HELP! I would like to get feedback before going to the 'stealership' on Thursday. Another thing I noticed (unsure if it's related) is that I can periodically hear a clicking noise while driving - like the lock is trying to engage. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Driver door lock issue - update...RESOLVED!

Okay - I am just simply going to relay what happened and let that be that. I said a little prayer for God to fix the problem, slammed the door. Nothing happening. I opened the door - then closed it normally and it has been working consistently since then - as though nothing ever happened. This after nearly a week of not working....
Old 06-23-2015, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Sometimes there is no explanation for why something like this happens. One time I couldn't open the driver door while sitting in the seat no matter how many times I tried. I gave up, opened the window, reached down to open the door from the outside, locked the car and went to my appt. When I returned, all was fine and I've never had the issue reoccur in three years. These things are just a mystery. Or a failing, keyfob which hopefully isn't your issue. Dumb question: did you try replacing the battery in the fob?
Old 11-13-2015, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has this happened since? I comes and goes for me every few days.

I am thinking it is a fuse/ relay issue. I looked at the manual for the car and could not figure out which one was for the driver side door lock. Does anyone know?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by westcedar
Has this happened since? I comes and goes for me every few days.

I am thinking it is a fuse/ relay issue. I looked at the manual for the car and could not figure out which one was for the driver side door lock. Does anyone know?
Do a VCDS scan. It will tell you what is going on. If you are lucky, sometimes just clearing a fault fixes it. Most probably a dirty connector or a wire in or near the tube that connects the door to the car.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Do a VCDS scan. It will tell you what is going on. If you are lucky, sometimes just clearing a fault fixes it. Most probably a dirty connector or a wire in or near the tube that connects the door to the car.
I agree that a Vag-Com scan can show where a problem lies but, unfortunately, clearing a fault cannot solve a problem. When you clear a fault, unless it was a one time anomaly, the problem that caused it still exists and the fault will show up again. All it does is reset the log. If it were that easy, we would all be very happy campers - I would have paid triple for my VCDS cable.