Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Another Hitch bike rack question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Hitch bike rack question

I am planning on have the OEM hitch install on my new Q5 and buying a Yakima Holdup hitch platform bike rack. I am wondering if any of you guys have this setup or something similar. What I want to know is if there is enough clearance to open the rear hatch when the tray is tilted down (with bikes loaded) ?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

This is an older Yakima rack and I can not open the rear hatch with bikes on it.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply, even with the rack in tilted position (if that model supports that position) ? kind of sucks... do you have the oem hitch or a third party that is installed at a lower position ?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an aftermarket curt hitch which sits lower on the rear bumper and a Thule T2 rack. With the rack in the "lean down" position I can open the rear hatch. Based upon the difference in height of the OEM hitch I think it should be possible to still open the hatch with my rack.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

So I am debating on a hitch mainly to be used as a bike rack..

I have a few question:
1) Should I invest in the Official Audi Hitch or get an aftermarket? Later on if I decide to tow, would I have to worry about having an aftermarket hitch?
2) If the unit I get has Side Assist, I know the Official Audi hitch is different based on Side assist or not.. would this be an issue with aftermarket hitches?
3) Which bike racks can swing aside or lean(With bikes on) to allow access to the trunk?
4) Resale value of Official Audi vs After market hitch?
Thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
3) Which bike racks can swing aside or lean(With bikes on) to allow access to the trunk?
I personally have a simple Yakima rack (the kind with the bike suspended from two arms), but when I was looking I noticed somebody else on this board recommended this one, which I believe will allow access to the trunk with bikes mounted:

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-rac...y&kpid=3766-bc
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

For the hitch it really comes down to how much money you want to spend and if you plan on towing. The Audi Hitch is going to cost you around $1500 or more to buy and have the dealer install. But the advantage is it will be better for towing (in my opinion) and it will be properly wired for use with a trailer. An aftermarket hitch like mine (Curt Hitch) your going to spend around $250-$300 for the hitch. I installed it myself (it was challenging and took most of a day) or you can have someone install it at a rack shop for like $200. Personally I will not be towing with my hitch. I don't have the wiring required and seeing how it connects to the frame, I'm not going to two with it (others may disagree). But for the sole purpose of using a hitch mounted bike rack it works great and was significantly cheaper.

As for the rack, I quite like the Thule T2 rack. Its the tray style but folds up against when no bikes are on, leans away when the bikes are on so you can access the trunk, and is very easy to get bikes on and off. If you have a carbon fiber bike frame, its one of the few ways to go. I had to make a small modification to the plastic wheel trays to make them shorter so when the rack is turned up against the car they don't make contact. I was originally considering the hanging bike racks that move away from the back of the car but I am really glad I picked the T2.

Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM
cue
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rtlm
I personally have a simple Yakima rack (the kind with the bike suspended from two arms), but when I was looking I noticed somebody else on this board recommended this one, which I believe will allow access to the trunk with bikes mounted:

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-rac...y&kpid=3766-bc
That might have been me that recommended the softride rack. I have one, and a Q7 with factory hitch. Works great. It's an older model than the link you posted, but still works great.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by abacon09
For the hitch it really comes down to how much money you want to spend and if you plan on towing. The Audi Hitch is going to cost you around $1500 or more to buy and have the dealer install. But the advantage is it will be better for towing (in my opinion) and it will be properly wired for use with a trailer. An aftermarket hitch like mine (Curt Hitch) your going to spend around $250-$300 for the hitch. I installed it myself (it was challenging and took most of a day) or you can have someone install it at a rack shop for like $200.
I am looking to order a Q5 within the next month. So the hitch will be 850 MSRP..

And if I do not install the aftermarket one myself.. it will be a 300 dollar difference.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have this for the Tiguan. Very basic unit, and while I haven't tried to get in the trunk with the bikes on the rack, it certainly seems possible though probably not ideal:

Quick Reply: Another Hitch bike rack question