Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Another Hitch bike rack question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The other thing to consider is if the look of an aftermarket hitch bothers you or not. Personally, I would only install an OEM hitch (as all of the current aftermarket hitches sit very low and I don't personally care for the look below the rear bumper, where as the OEM sits up under the bumper). It's obviously personal preference, but I haven't been able to talk myself into the OEM hitch (even if you can get it for $700 and install it yourself).

We put the Kuat NV on our Q7 and love the rack.

http://kuatracks.com/en/products/bike/the-nv/

-tgt

Originally Posted by abacon09
For the hitch it really comes down to how much money you want to spend and if you plan on towing. The Audi Hitch is going to cost you around $1500 or more to buy and have the dealer install. But the advantage is it will be better for towing (in my opinion) and it will be properly wired for use with a trailer. An aftermarket hitch like mine (Curt Hitch) your going to spend around $250-$300 for the hitch. I installed it myself (it was challenging and took most of a day) or you can have someone install it at a rack shop for like $200. Personally I will not be towing with my hitch. I don't have the wiring required and seeing how it connects to the frame, I'm not going to two with it (others may disagree). But for the sole purpose of using a hitch mounted bike rack it works great and was significantly cheaper.

As for the rack, I quite like the Thule T2 rack. Its the tray style but folds up against when no bikes are on, leans away when the bikes are on so you can access the trunk, and is very easy to get bikes on and off. If you have a carbon fiber bike frame, its one of the few ways to go. I had to make a small modification to the plastic wheel trays to make them shorter so when the rack is turned up against the car they don't make contact. I was originally considering the hanging bike racks that move away from the back of the car but I am really glad I picked the T2.

Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jibou
Thanks for the quick reply, even with the rack in tilted position (if that model supports that position) ? kind of sucks... do you have the oem hitch or a third party that is installed at a lower position ?
I have the factory hitch.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the factory hitch. I didn't want someone experimenting on my car.

Anyway, I have the Kuat alumimum 2-bike rack. Two things. First, I don't leave it on my Q5. It's so light that I can throw it on in 3 minutes. I've timed it. Second, with the bikes loaded I can tilt it down and open the back. With it unloaded, I can open the back as long as I don't have it folded up. That said, it folds down like nothing. The only fear I have is hitting the open rear lid button on the remote. I came close once.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are remotely thinking about towing, you probably should get the Port Installed Tow Hitch that Audi offers to save yourself the trouble of getting the electronics fixed for your aftermarket hitch. It seems like everyone who installed aftermarket who tried to get the electronics working had a bit of trouble with it.

If you are pretty sure all you are going to do is haul bikes around, then might as well get the aftermarket and save a few bucks. The towing capability is relatively new to Audi so I'm not sure if there really is market data on the resale value.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Is this w/ the trailer wiring included too? My own value logic when I worked thru it.

The Audi one as port installed is w/ the wiring. I assume if you buy the hitch OE from Audi you get the right wiring package too, but worth asking. When I ordered mine, at first I left the hitch off and figured I would DIY it as I have before. Plus that can save on the total purchase amount that goes into the California registration fee for years, and if gotten out of state, the sales tax in most cases. But as soon as I saw stuff like side assist and that the 2.0T or hybrid needs the lower bumper cut, it became pretty easy just to let them do it, so I added it in. Then it's in the car warranty too. Physical part, it's obviously just steel and "body work," but electrically could have issues along the way in theory.

As another data point, if you go w/out wiring for just a rack or something consider this anecdote: my wife just last week had to get our boat to a lake w/ a 200 mile tow distance. But we were arriving and departing at different times and for several reasons needed two vehicles, one for each direction. She had a friend going with a decent tow capable SUV and 2" hitch. So far, so good...but then no wiring a la the bike rack idea. Had to borrow a completely different vehicle instead, even with that one going with a hitch but no wiring. Left two impressions: 1. The chance for an easy and logical way to tow on the fly (assuming a competent driver) evaporated with an expected critical tow component missing, and 2., it educated me that for any future used vehicle buys involving hitches, I will be sure it has real wiring; if not then no added market value to hitch in my mind, plus a hassle and further $, work and risk to retrofit it later. More so once car goes out of production for a while.

Also, having just had a guy on the D3 (last gen) A8 board perhaps blow up a bunch of his rear tail and trunk wiring trying to (competently) do the Westfalia (long time Euro factory hitch partner) install this past week-- even though I had done it successfully on the same car (to the level of pulling bumper skin and having to change pinouts in several connectors and a fuse panel [likely way more than the Q5 that probably starts with a take off point in the wiring harness]--it reinforced that for a few hundred $ incrementally, it felt like the right decision on the Q5.

The one field use argument the other way (besides $ in initially and the hidden reg. fee impact) is back on the Sienna and Town & Country AWD's, in both cases the factory hitch had compromises--Toyota was only 1 1/4" and Chrysler hung down a lot--compared to the name brand aftermarket ones like Curt, Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch. In those cases, I used the factory wiring kit that could be bought separately and did a DIY. Both just bolted to the frame rails with no bumper mods or removal, so the mechanical part was easy. On the Q5, it seems like if anything the factory one is relatively high (necessitating 2.0 bumper cutting). Having dragged enough hitches in towing--2800 to 3000 pounds all in with well balanced/proper tongue weight--I'll take the clearance, especially if I don't have auto load leveler shocks (like the T&C did) or adjustable air ride height (A8). Q5 does start a couple inches higher than those minivans at least for towing and the ramp splash.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-13-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default +1

See my other long response below w/ similar themes and real life back ups to some of the points here. And the D3 (A8) poster child nightmare of what can go wrong in theory even if well intentioned and using quality parts and instructions: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24453078

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-13-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Happy with Thule T2

Hello -

In light of some recent posts re: bike racks, I thought I'd add these photos....

I bought the Thule T2 which I am **VERY** happy with. We have the factory hitch.

The bikes go on & off in just a few seconds, far more easily than the "hanging" type racks I have for the other cars.

Also, if your top tube is not horizontal (i.e. full suspension or some women's bikes) the hanging type make your life even harder.

Note that the T2 allows you to fold the bikes AWAY from the car, so that you can open the hatch.

I also considered the very similar Yakima Hold Up (they had both models on the showroom floor at "Rack Attack" for the same price) but the Thule seemed to have a much stronger linkage / pivoting area than the Yakima.

See photos below....
Attached Images    
Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Cobalt,

The Thule T2 looks nice, but only 2 bikes. I currently only have 2 bikes, but would be good to

Thanks for those pics.

What are other Q5 owners using?

There are quite a few cheap options 100~ish, but not sure if they will do the job appropriately.

Then there are the pricier ones from Yakima and Thule.

on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Yakima SwingDaddy 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Yakima SwingDaddy 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Thule 9027 Apex Swing Away 4 Bike Hitch Rack: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Thule 9027 Apex Swing Away 4 Bike Hitch Rack: Sports & Outdoors

Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Audi hitch installed and the Thule T2 bike rack. I can tilt the bike rack down and open the rear hatch with no problems when my bikes are on the rack.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mwaarna
Cobalt,

The Thule T2 looks nice, but only 2 bikes. I currently only have 2 bikes, but would be good to

Thanks for those pics.

What are other Q5 owners using?

There are quite a few cheap options 100~ish, but not sure if they will do the job appropriately.

Then there are the pricier ones from Yakima and Thule
There is a 2 bike add on for the Thule T2 2" receiver model allowing 4 bikes total although it also increases the length. I believe the add on part is $169 or so. I have the T2 and recommend it highly but like anything, it's not for everyone.

Quick Reply: Another Hitch bike rack question