Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Another Hitch bike rack question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go factory hitch. Much better integrated. I had a Curt after market hitch on my 2011 and took it off before selling it - just thought it was better to get the car back to standard and I believe I got a better price for that.

I have an OEM hitch on the 2013. Works great and I can tow if I want to. Using it mainly for the bicycle rack.

The old Curt hitch is still in my garage waiting for a good home. Free to anyone interested to pay shipping from Southern California.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After my dealer tried to rape me on the OEM hitch (around $2000 with labor), I started looking at aftermarket. I'm sure OEM hitch is a quality product, however, I just wanted a hitch for a bike rack and I think I found a much better option: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2858310
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: On Q5 got an adapter from 2" down to 1-1/4" for our rack (Tiguan has 1-1/4" hitch), and the increased length allows the Q5 tailgate to open/close with the rack still in full upright position. I didn't get a photo of that but will sometime in the future when I use it next. I did grab these two quickly while testing it out. I assume one could get a 2" extension that would provide the same benefit.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Transfer
There is a 2 bike add on for the Thule T2 2" receiver model allowing 4 bikes total although it also increases the length. I believe the add on part is $169 or so. I have the T2 and recommend it highly but like anything, it's not for everyone.
Nice. I just read the description for the T2 and it seems very nice!

The Add on Piece, to add 2 more bikes is 320 bucks on amazon!

Making the complete 4 bike holder 700!

I currently only have 2 bikes to worry about, but cant pick up others for their bikes, but that is rarely the case.

I will strongly consider the Thule T2, due to the reviews here and on amazon.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the dealer install a 2" factory hitch without the electronics harness because I wanted a smaller 'cut-out' in the plastic plate, and I am using the hitch for a bike rack only.

The rack I am using is a Kuat rear bike rack, currently outfitted for 2 bikes (but this can be expanded to 4 bikes, if I want to do so. When this rack is in a tip out mode (which is very easy to do), I have complete access to the rear compartment without taking the bikes off the rack.

In the brief time I have had this system, it works very well- connection to the hitch is very solid.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwaarna
Cobalt,

The Thule T2 looks nice, but only 2 bikes. I currently only have 2 bikes, but would be good to

Thanks for those pics.

What are other Q5 owners using?
I had a Thule T2 for years and liked it but it did interfere with my hatch and back-up camera on my Pathfinder and Outback.

I switched to a 1Up rack and can say it is the best I have ever had for quality and convenience.

www.1upusa.com/

I currently have the one bike option as 90% of my trips are just getting myself to the trailhead. I will get the second bike add on option soon, though.

Kuat makes a great rack as well.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1Up, Kuat, Thule, and even the Yakima HoldUp are good premium racks but they certainly aren't cheap. Especially not cheap when you've already shelled out $700-$2500 for an installed factory hitch. For me, I mountain bike every chance I get (sadly usually weekly) and having an easy to use, strong rack is of huge importance.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
1Up, Kuat, Thule, and even the Yakima HoldUp are good premium racks but they certainly aren't cheap. Especially not cheap when you've already shelled out $700-$2500 for an installed factory hitch. For me, I mountain bike every chance I get (sadly usually weekly) and having an easy to use, strong rack is of huge importance.
Of course to each his/her own on what one is willing to spend/invest in a rack. For me, when I look at the investment in my bikes and the vehicle, I am willing to spend money for a good quality rack and hitch. I was fortunate to have my dealer install a factory hitch and cutout for about $800-did not include the installation of the electronics for a trailer hitch since I use the hitch for a bike rack only.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is the one I ended up buying a few years ago for my Durango and have since started using it on My Q5.

Amazon.com: Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver): Automotive Amazon.com: Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver): Automotive
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loafer123
Of course to each his/her own on what one is willing to spend/invest in a rack. For me, when I look at the investment in my bikes and the vehicle, I am willing to spend money for a good quality rack and hitch. I was fortunate to have my dealer install a factory hitch and cutout for about $800-did not include the installation of the electronics for a trailer hitch since I use the hitch for a bike rack only.
Agreed. When I have an expensive carbon bike, I am more than happy to make sure my rack protects its as much as possible. I would never dream of putting on one of those cheap racks that let the bikes bang together.

Quick Reply: Another Hitch bike rack question