Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anti -theft

Old 04-08-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti -theft

What’s the best anti-theft device to install in addition to factory installed alarm in 2019 SQ5 Prestige ?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by marvingunz@mac.com
What’s the best anti-theft device to install in addition to factory installed alarm in 2019 SQ5 Prestige ?
Do you have the full alarm? with motion sensor in the dome light and enable disable button on the drivers door (you will have to open the door to access it)

1. If you dont then you have to retrofit the full alarm. Done it on mine but it was more difficult than yours because my European Q5 did not even have the siren. This is sufficient for my needs.
2, If you do then someone else should reply with more experience because for me 1 is enough, happy with it.

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-08-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Cyprus is a small place, it may not require the antitheft protection that any city on the mainland US or EU does.
Here, there are thousands of tow trucks in any major city, even a 2nd or 3rd rate city. Twenty seconds is all it takes and any car is gone. An hour or two later and it is in a shipping container scheduled to go overseas in 24 hours, or it is in a Quonset hut for 48 hours to see if it is being tracked, before it goes to a chop shop and six hours later, there's no sign of the car left.

I suspect the stakes are a bit higher and the players more professional.

The only real security is a fully separate (Audi doesn't play well with others) system that includes motion sensing, geofencing, and cellular tracking. The tracking can be easily disabled or beaten, but the fines for doing that are higher than the fines for car theft, so the systems still get the chance to work--until the car is in a shipping container, underground, or whatever. You at least have a fighting chance.

Sorry, I don't know a brand to recommend. You might try Vyper and a few of the other big names, and if you don't know which end of a diode is the anode...ask them about a professional installation in your area as well.

Or just skip the security system, and put in a GPS tracker with geofencing. It will call you to let you know if the car moves without permission, or without being started. You just have to remember to keep your phone on, all the time. Verizon has one, there are independents out there too. Some can just be plugged into the ODB port, which isn't too stealthy or secure, but certainly is an easy install.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Certainly the probability of the whole car to get stolen is lower than other larger european cities however there are events of cars being stolen but mostly parts of them like rims, radios etc

Getting the full alarm retrofitted gives me peace of mind because at least I feel I get a chance to prevent rims or internal hardware parts to fly away.

Full alarm has an inclination sensor and internal motion sensor.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not familiar with the upgraded or base Audi alarm system. But in the 80's, my car was broken into, and oddly enough one of the front turn signals had been smashed. I found out that since the aftermarket alarms usually flashed all the turn signals, car thieves knew that if they smashed a turn signal and shorted the socket out, that would normally BLOW THE FUSE and that often silenced an entire alarm system.

Nice, huh?

The solution was to relay-isolate the signal lamps and siren from the alarm itself...but who knows what equally simple ways there are to bypass the Audi system? Or to just use a crack box, copy your codes, and drive off in the car without being noticed. Probably more effective to put the car on AirBnB and have someone pay to "sleep in fine leather upholstery with a view of the mountains and sea" every night.(G)