Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Any Issues with Pano Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Awrench
We specifically ordered ours without the sun roof (every one the dealer had was fitted with the sun roof). We have a sunroof in our BMW and pretty much never open it and it produces some wind noise so we decided that a bit of extra headroom and less heat in the summer was a plus...and it cost less.
You won't be disappointed! I took delivery on Friday and just got back from a weekend break-in road trip. I absolutely LOVE this thing!

I can now report,first-hand, that not having all that weight up there makes a noticeable difference in handling. It's hard to explain, but if you drive both you will feel the difference. It is most noticeable when you are shifting the weight back and forth like in a slalom. It is so much quicker to change directions that it actually feels lower to the ground. It's not, of course, but as I said, it's hard to really explain how different it feels. I am so very happy I decided to nix that sunroof!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob, it would be tempting since it also cuts UV and that prevents long-term damage in the interior. But "coating" a windshield is also generally illegal, and I just don't like to tempt fate that way.
I have to take it back to the dealer for my scheduled appointment to apply the Crystaline, but they have clear. It will be applied to my windshield and the pre-tinted windows, and the front-sides will be matched to the back.

Also, you make an excellent point about it protecting the interior, specifically the dash. That didn't occur to me but it's another reason that I'm very glad I sprung for it.

On another note...if you do get or have the pano-roof, and you live somewhere that you have to take steps during the Summer months to not burst into flames, I feel the Crystaline application to be mandatory...IMO

Last edited by SQive; 05-12-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We had it on the windshield also. Had it taken off as at night it makes all the car lights/traffic lights fuzzy. Be sure to ask the dealer about it before you have it installed!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
We had it on the windshield also. Had it taken off as at night it makes all the car lights/traffic lights fuzzy. Be sure to ask the dealer about it before you have it installed!
Hmm...
I hadn't considered that aspect. How bad was it? Do you feel it was applied properly? I will ask the dealer about it, but may go ahead and experience it for myself because of its benefits.