Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Any "simple" exhaust mods for a bit more rumble ?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any "simple" exhaust mods for a bit more rumble ?

Enjoying my "new to me" 2011 3.2 S-Line, 24k miles, like new.

One thing I am considering changing is the exhaust ... its is so quiet you can hear the mechanical engine noise over the exhaust itself - not a terrible thing, but might want a bit more exhaust rumble.

Thinking about changing out that center section resonator/muffler (whatever) in the rear. I did this to my 2000 Mercedes E55 with really good results... there, I cut out the center section and replaced it with a Magnaflow X-Pipe.

Result - a tad more rumble at idle and down low, and a much more open and sounding exhaust when you stomp on it. The whole thing (parts/labor) cost me under $200 too.

I don't want too much noise, and don't want to spend a bunch of $$ on a full exhaust either, so ...

Anybody do something similar to their Q5 ?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could replace the mid-muffler with straight pipes. Might be a Little louder but a cheap enough mod to return to stock from. I think the x-pipe would be the way to go imo though.

Originally Posted by 2000BEAST
Enjoying my "new to me" 2011 3.2 S-Line, 24k miles, like new.

One thing I am considering changing is the exhaust ... its is so quiet you can hear the mechanical engine noise over the exhaust itself - not a terrible thing, but might want a bit more exhaust rumble.

Thinking about changing out that center section resonator/muffler (whatever) in the rear. I did this to my 2000 Mercedes E55 with really good results... there, I cut out the center section and replaced it with a Magnaflow X-Pipe.

Result - a tad more rumble at idle and down low, and a much more open and sounding exhaust when you stomp on it. The whole thing (parts/labor) cost me under $200 too.

I don't want too much noise, and don't want to spend a bunch of $$ on a full exhaust either, so ...

Anybody do something similar to their Q5 ?
Old 09-13-2015, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Interesting... not much feedback on this topic. Funny on BenzWorld the E55 forums are littered with various exhaust mod ideas and such.

Prolly gonna remove the center section and replace it with one of Magnaflow's muffled x-pipe's ... wont break the bank, be a little different, and might provide a bit freer breathing in addition to a bit more volume, but not overly loud... we will see.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BEAST
Interesting... not much feedback on this topic. Funny on BenzWorld the E55 forums are littered with various exhaust mod ideas and such.

Prolly gonna remove the center section and replace it with one of Magnaflow's muffled x-pipe's ... wont break the bank, be a little different, and might provide a bit freer breathing in addition to a bit more volume, but not overly loud... we will see.
Post up a write up once your done, interested to know how this turns out!
Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Also had a 2010 Q5 3.2...

Enjoyed its flexibility and comfort, but was not enthralled with its performance - no SQ5 or 3.0 was available at the time. We kept it less than a year. With respect to the lack of performance conversations, the typical audience for the Q5 is not the performance crowd. The E55 is a performance oriented car and folks buying it are obviously committed to the idea as they are paying the huge up cost for the E55's capacity over a standard E500/350/320/300, etc.

If you really enjoy the Q5, then you might set your eyes on the 3.0 or the SQ5 (perhaps a CPO) as they have a much broader range of performance options. The SQ5 is a real hoot and we are test driving one now for a possible replacement for our S4. The leases are great. I would advise against starting down the road of enhancing the Q5 as it is so well balanced. More power will overwhelm the brakes, the suspension needs upgrading, etc. By the time you do that, you could be an SQ5 with full warrantee.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 09-13-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The Q5 is actually my wife's car, but I am one of those people who cant leave things alone and enjoy making our cars "our" cars ... usually by tinkering and adding subtle changes.

I have no interest in spending $$$ attempting to increase the performance of this Q5, my wife loves it as-is ! I drive a 2012 M3 and still own the E55 those are my screw around cars, smile everytime I get behind the wheel .

I will likely add the x-pipe muffler just for fun. It is a cheap mod and easily reversible if too loud (unlikely).
Old 09-13-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Got it...

… you have plenty of fun toys ;-)

One of the reasons we parted company with the Q5 is that there was just no upgrades available at the time. It was my wife's primary car and she is a passionate canyon carver as well. We are limited to a two-car garage in our current condo and no street parking allowed - so a third car would have to be off site (arghh. We left Cape Cod where I had 1000 sq ft workshop and room for 4+ cars). So she now has the S4 and I have the RS5. We miss the convenience of the Q5.

Your M3 is also the last of a dying breed of V8 performance cars. Since 2015 was last year before forced induction arrives for the RS5 (2017), I wanted to drive an 8300 rpm V8 while they still existed, so the RS5 followed me home.

My wife is understanding about all of this as I am an old codger (nearly 60) and have had thirty cars, BUT - only one woman. She likes that score.

The E55 is a hoot as well - spiritual successor to the AMG Hammer of my youth.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 09-14-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eric strauss
… you have plenty of fun toys ;-)

My wife is understanding about all of this as I am an old codger (nearly 60) and have had thirty cars, BUT - only one woman. She likes that score.
Haha! That's perfect. It is SO difficult finding a woman that understands/accepts/supports and even has more than a a passing interest in cars. I have the same and count my blessings every day.

Except her "that'd be cool. Just get it if you want it" encouragement has forced me to develop some $$ self control lest I'd be living in one of the remaining cars.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have really been a Benz guy the past 12 years (ML55, E55, G500, E550) and had my mind set on a ML350 BlueTech, but when the wife drove the ML and Q5 back-to-back, she fell in love with the Q5.

I never buy new, but instead look for mint condition depreciated examples whenever I buy a "new" car. This Q5 really clicked all the boxes and has been great in the past few months of ownership. As-is I think the overall performance is more than acceptable, including surprisingly good gas mileage (26+) on the highway.

One of the things that helped me try Audi versus MBZ is my sons 2001 S4 Avant. He has 160k miles now, been his car throughout 9 years of college, overlooked many times with the "deferred maintenance" that goes along with being a college students but is still running strong.

Recently helped him replace the alternator and the AC condenser fan - man that car has a tight engine compartment - not so with the Q5 !
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Haha! That's perfect. It is SO difficult finding a woman that understands/accepts/supports and even has more than a a passing interest in cars. I have the same and count my blessings every day.

Except her "that'd be cool. Just get it if you want it" encouragement has forced me to develop some $$ self control lest I'd be living in one of the remaining cars.
Nooooo. I am very lucky that my wife understands and supports me spending lots of money on my cars BUT I am also very happy that she is quite content to potter around in an S-Line A1. If she was into her cars too I would be bankrupt!