Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anybody else bust off the sun visor hook?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anybody else bust off the sun visor hook?

My driver-in-training 15 year old daughter gave the sun visor a tug and SNAP - off broke the plastic hook that the visor snaps into. Somebody please tell me that it's not just her. Or maybe it is?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
My driver-in-training 15 year old daughter gave the sun visor a tug and SNAP - off broke the plastic hook that the visor snaps into. Somebody please tell me that it's not just her. Or maybe it is?
:-(
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you bring that up. My wife had the sun in her eyes last weekend and said why won't this come down ... and snap ... broke it right off. SHe drives the car like 2-3 times a year.

It's pretty simple to pop off the little hook thing. You just have to pop it out toward you, not straight down. The dealer had to order the part (didn't have the one for the black headliner in stock) so I have to go back to get it put on.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Funny you bring that up. My wife had the sun in her eyes last weekend and said why won't this come down ... and snap ... broke it right off. SHe drives the car like 2-3 times a year.

It's pretty simple to pop off the little hook thing. You just have to pop it out toward you, not straight down. The dealer had to order the part (didn't have the one for the black headliner in stock) so I have to go back to get it put on.
Yep, that's how they break. People try pulling down on them to release it, instead of pulling back.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
So far so good. My 12 yr old boy hasn't killed it yet...maybe it's an anti-male thing.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep & It's one of the 1st parts I look for on the junk yard audis and 75% of the time someOne else got to it before me.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yup. snapped here as well, when actually putting the visor back in place ;-)

My dealer replaced it for free (warranty?). The service manager had a box full of visor clips in his drawer (popular item?) with a plastic tool to remove the old one. He went to the parking lot and put a new one in. No questions, no paperwork. Took me 5 minutes total (walk in, explain, get it done and leave).
Old 02-29-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks everyone. I figured it was our fault but the stealer is replacing it for free under warranty. Based on all these replies, it sounds like Audi should have designed the hooks a bit more robust.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Probably late to the thread, but figured I'd let you know it's not just you. I have a friend who just had it break on her A6. I talked to the parts guy at the Audi dealership, and they said they get a fair share of requests for them. Said they get some crazy looks when they tell people the cost of the part is $45-$60 for the clip. Nice that they'll do it under warranty, but definitely an issue not just with you... If I do the same to mine, we'll know it's men that do it too...

Sean
Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dealer charged me $40 for the clip - said it was not covered by the warranty. Guess I need to find a new dealer...

Quick Reply: Anybody else bust off the sun visor hook?