Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anybody else bust off the sun visor hook?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broke the drivers side, dealer replaced for no charge in about 2 minutes. As other mention it is not a very robust design
Old 09-14-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my case it is not the hook that broke, but the little plastic cylinder that goes over the rod that goes into the hook.

I've been trying to find a replacement without success. Anyone knows what is the part number for it?

Thank you

Martin
Old 09-14-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
In my case it is not the hook that broke, but the little plastic cylinder that goes over the rod that goes into the hook.

I've been trying to find a replacement without success. Anyone knows what is the part number for it?

Thank you

Martin
Try here:
AUDI Q5 [AQ5] (USA) 2013: BODY: 85750. SUN VISOR; GRAB HANDLE, FOLDING
https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi_201...F/1385520.html
Old 09-14-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you Spijun, helpfull as always!

Unfortunatly it looks like the little plastic thing comes with the whole sunvisor... Oh well... I will continue my search.

Martin
Old 09-15-2016, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017CMJT8W/

It's not a perfect match, a bit larger overall. I'm 6'3" and can never use visors, because they limit my visibility to the end of the hood. Mine was broken off when someone else was driving the car.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, the replacement parts from China arrived today 17 days after ordering.

The gray color is not anything like a good match. And there is no texture on the exposed plastic surfaces as with the OEM ones. This makes them look cheap.

Worse, the "cover" piece which expands the fastener does not "snap" over the inner "hook" unit, so it won't even stay put. Given this, I didn't even bother to see if it would fit on the vehicle or if the clip would actually retain the sunshade.

In summary, they are cosmetically inferior and functionally unusable. So, I'm out $3.30 for the three of them. Oh well.

Has anyone else had any luck with any other aftermarket offering? Or should I just put in an application for a second mortgage and go OEM...
Old 09-27-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Broke mine on the first use!

Bought a 2012 A4 B8 few weeks ago. Used the visor first time today to cover the side window and while putting it back, the hook snapped! Is this the German quality? We never had any trouble of this sort in our totaled 2002 EXV6 Honda Accord.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

For cars this expensive it seems like Audi would have redesigned such a simple part. After reading this thread it looks this design flaw should have been fixed years ago. I'm currently looking for my first Audi, Q5 2.0T or 3.0T or A6 2.0T. Any other design issues I should be aware of? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After contemplating a delivered price just under $32 for an OEM clip, I took a second look at the parts I ordered from China. I had never checked them out inside the car.

I found that they would be much too tight a fit for the visor to be inserted under the hook as intended. I also found that I was able to easily remove the little metal spring from one. Following that, it was still too tight a fit.

I then shaved and shaped the inside of the hook a bit with a 9/32 drill bit running backwards slowly. This provided a good shape to accommodate the visor.

Finally, I shaved the inside of the nose of the hook with a utility knife and then polished and shaped the cut with a fine file. Ultimately, I got a fit that is secure but not so tight as the original. I now consider it an upgrade.

Additional to the $3.30, I spent an additional fifteen minutes on this little project.

The funny thing is that I normally purchase German cars, synthetic oil, good tires and quality parts. While it's generally not cheap, I have always felt that the value is there. However, this little booger just made me feel badly used.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just received a Chinese clip to replace one broken a couple of weeks ago. Haven't opened the package yet, but I'll look at it with your post in mind. $9 vs. $40 was just too good to pass up. If it doesn't work, no big loss and I'll order a OEM one.

Quick Reply: Anybody else bust off the sun visor hook?