Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone replaced front sunroof drain hose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone replaced front sunroof drain hose?

Hi,
Our Q5 got a leak at the connection of the drain hose to the sunroof.
I tried to use the sealant tape from HD without success.
I could probably fix the problem if I remove the original hose end and attach a nipple+plastic hose to both sunroof and train tube.

However, the original OEM hose is not too expensive and I already removed the visor and the grab handles so I can easily replace the upper part of the hose.

I cannot see how to pull/replace the bottom part which goes under the dash.
If it is not too difficult to remove the bottom of the hose I would replace the whole thing.

I also was thinking of cutting the new hose and replacing the upper part only by splicing a connector at the level of the A-pillar so I would not have to replace the whole thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

This may help..................

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 10-18-2018 at 06:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Petruska:
DonTexanoEternal (12-30-2019), simplesez (08-14-2019)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

HI Bob,
Thanks a lot- it looks like the hose is not attached to anything after it goes down into the dash- I will check tomorrow. If that is the case I will replace the whole thing. I have been watching videos of the lower knee bolster/lower dash removal because I thought I would have to remove that in order to gain access to the lower part of the drain hose.
I will describe if /when I change the hose/tube.

BTW, I contacted Audi and informed them that, IMHO, such a leak can be a safety concern because the water drips down the A-pillar over the side curtain airbag- they replied, "You need to take the vehicle to the dealer to diagnose the problem and then we will see what if anything we can do". I asked who would pay for such diagnostics- the lady replied, "You would have to pay". I asked, "Why do I need to pay for something that i can see myself, like water dripping from the drain tube?" She replied, "Because we need the diagnosis". Total BS (in my opinion)- they want me to go and pay $120 for something I can see myself, but they are not committing to provide any assistance after that.
The Q5 also had a leak from the top of the windshield because it was not glued well at the factory according to the glass shop guy. The sides and the bottom were glued fine but the top edge was lose. He was able to remove the original glass without braking it and re-glued.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just in case someone else has the same problem- the front drain hose exits on the side of the A-pillar, between two door hinges.

I connected a thin synthetic rope to the old hose before pulling it out- you have to pull from the pillar so the old hose would go down into the dash and out eventually. Then, I tied the rope to the new hose and pulled it in/up.
It helped that I removed the lower dash which enabled me to grab the hose when it exited the A-pillar on the inside before pulling it up.
To remove the lower dash you 'd have to remove upper dash trim at the bottom of the instrument panel- it just pulls out, and then remove 4 screws holding the lower dash- one of the is hidden under the upper trim and another under the fuse panel.
I lubed the end of the hose I was pulling up to make it easier to pull it through the A-pillar ( you are free to guess what lubricant I had on hands...)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

gonna have to do this soon. Heard a gurgling in passenger side roof while in car wash the other day. then came the water draining out of the A pillar. Hopefully just a clog.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the images and instructions.