Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone towing with their Q5?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was curious how durable the suspension is on bigger loads going long distances. My wife and I have '10 Q5 3.2L and we use it to tow our 19' Yamaha Boat about 200 miles total each weekend in the summer. It does this trip like a CHAMP! We are thinking about driving 2600 miles to Key West and back with the boat. My main concerns are the rear suspension holding up as well as the transmission. Any one have any opinions on whether this is a good/bad idea or what the Q can handle with the long distance. We have brakes on the trailer and the Audi Factory Towing package installed. The total weight of the boat and trailer is around 2900lbs... so I would say total towing weight with luggage and stuff would be around 3100lbs.

Any input or experienced input would be awesome!!! Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

34-
I don't know the spec on your car but if it is similar to the 2014, that's over 4000# and your 2900 is well inside of that. Most of the mileage to KW should be interstate and most of that is pretty gentle on the suspension in the SE US. As most of the road hogs like to do 'speed patrol' three abreast under the posted limit...you'll put even less load on the suspension being unable to speed in many stretches.

I did see a huge pickup truck towing a go-fast boat go tearing up an express ramp outside of Miami a few years back. Coupla miles later, the local lanes were all bogged down, as we all picked our way through the debris that used to be the pickup truck and boat. At 85mph it literally tore the rear bumper off, scattered parts of everything across the highway.

So it isn't just the suspension, bear in mind, your speed will make a huge difference in the stresses on the car. Audiobooks can help with that.(G)
Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the input! The only reason I am really concerned about the suspension is my Father in law thinks it squats too much and if it does, Im worried that will damage the rear suspension / put too much strain on the rear. Any input on the transmission?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If the load is within spec, properly balanced and all?

I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure the tranny & brake fluids were changed if that was called for. Try to drive a little gently, avoiding sport mode (G) and turbo boost to gentle it up a bit. Other than that? Supposedly it is built to handle the job.

With 2600 miles, I'd check the trailer's bearings, wheels, and get a spare for that as well.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

too much "squat" would mean your trailer isn't balanced well, i.e., too much tongue weight. I tow a 3600 lb tool trailer to events in the spring, summer and fall and we have that balanced well with about 300 lbs on the tongue. There is no significant squat to the rear suspension on the Q5. The Q5 is rated for up to 440 lbs on the tongue. You can get trailer tongue scales to measure this. Poorly balanced trailers can also be dangerous - it's worth figuring this out and getting the weight distribution set up properly.

I would also suggest the opposite @Redd, of driving "gently" - under tow load, you want the engine in the power and torque band vs, "lugging" in a too-tall gear and making the engine strain harder. I keep it in S when towing and keep my speed reasonable. On steep ascents or descents, I shift it manually to keep it where I want in the RPM range and help use engine braking a bit. Mind you, everything is (and should be) happening at a slower pace with a trailer.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Adam-
I don't think you mean the opposite of what I mean. What I call "gently"....well, let's just say I wouldn't do a 4->2 downshift with wide open throttle in a stick while pulling a trailer. 5->3, probably not. But that doesn't mean I'd stay out of the powerband, either.

On a good day, in a less sophisticated car, yes, I can make a yellow cabbie pull over and cry "Mommy!". My parole officer tells me I should find other ways to have fun.(G)
Old 12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to know we're on the same page then Redd
Old 12-27-2020, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by OlyS4
Hi all, we are looking to replace my wife's E53 X5 3.0 and want to be able to tow a small (18ft, 3200lbs w/trailer) ski boat. I have an 01.5 S4 so naturally I wanted to look at Q7's. We drove a 3.6l, and she loves the interior and the way it drives, she is not sold on the overall look of the Q7 however so we drove an E70 X5 3.0si. Although esthetically it is really nice and had decent power, the iDrive system is not very intuitive and the interior seems to be a little cheaper then our previous model.

We had originally thought that the Q5's were too small for our needs, but have now decided to give them a good look and am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, or has owned either the Q7 or X5 and now owns the Q5? Specifically, is there a tow hitch available from Audi or a high quality aftermarket set up? Is anyone currently towing with their Q5, and what is the max rated tow capacity/braking capacity while towing?

Thanks for any input!
Our Q5 2.0 Premium quattro (max towing 4400lbs) was not a problem once I learned to use the manual shift function. We were pulling a 19ft 3800lb camper from Naples FL to Durango CO. Wind seemed to effect the trailer but slowing down reduced the effect. We were advised (by other travelers) not to cross a 11,000 ft pass in the Rockies. Apparently the steep incline multiplies the towing weight.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

we have an airsteram 22FB. towed for 4 years now.
we use WD and Sway control
No issues, very stable

at most we lose 1/3 gas mileage if it's

very windy and many hills
The following 2 users liked this post by waninae39:
rez (01-23-2022), TwiceMyAge (03-12-2021)
Old 12-28-2020, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Considering adding tow package to 2020 SQ5, but have questions

Just bought a 2020 SQ5, Prestige.

It doesn't appear to have a tow package installed, unless I'm overlooking it.

Looking for advice on possibly getting a dealer installed tow package. Have you upgraded after purchase? What was the parts and labor costs? I'm presuming it's a 1 day job, so will need to plan accordingly.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

- TimWash, DC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone towing with their Q5?