Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

APR ECU Stage I tune, stiff steering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Just some bum.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR ECU Stage I tune, stiff steering?

We recently had our 2014 Q5 2.0 TFSI flashed with APR's ECU tuning. The steering has been much stiffer (resists turning) seemingly randomly.
Is this a feature? I had read up on these tunings for a good couple of years waiting for the car to be off warranty before getting the flash.

Other than the steering, this ECU update has been amazing!
Old 06-16-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Blech
We recently had our 2014 Q5 2.0 TFSI flashed with APR's ECU tuning. The steering has been much stiffer (resists turning) seemingly randomly.
Is this a feature? I had read up on these tunings for a good couple of years waiting for the car to be off warranty before getting the flash.

Not sure if the following helps because I have not tested it with APR.
​​​​​
Normally you can select the comfort or auto steering if this was changed to dynamic with vcds coding or retrofit ADS where you can change comfort auto dynamic and custom.

​​​​​​
Old 06-16-2018, 12:46 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

FWIW if steering is randomly stiff it might be an issue with power steering. I believe there was a TSB. I know on my '14 SQ5 there was, not sure if it also affects 2.0T.
ECU tune should not affect steering at all unless like apoelistas said it was changed to Dynamic ADS, but then it would just be stiff all the time.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

A vcds scan would give as the info to check if there is a firmware update.

I would think that letters were sent to all affected Q5 owners for the steering CU firmware update unless the firmware update if done (recall) did not complete successfully.

This recall was for the SQ5.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...rchResult&pg=0

​​​​

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-17-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Just some bum.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately our Q5 doesn't have the drive select option (we have the Technik package iirc which doesn't include it. Nice moon roof and HK sound system) Thinking it may be enabled after the update, I looked in the Car settings of the MMI and saw nothing new regarding drive settings before posting. This is a Q5, not an SQ5, so I believe that recall doesn't affect us. We are diligent about all recall notices.

I noticed it when I started driving right out of the parking lot but thought to check the MMI later, not when driving. And the better half hates it. In any case, we're hoping it's a known, undoable side effect of the ECU flash. Things that mess with steering are more than a bit concerning... I have written the installer and APR, but it seems they're both closed over the weekend.

Thanks again, everyone! Will update the thread as I hear more.

Last edited by Blech; 06-17-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Would you mind sharing what octane and your experience with APR's tune thus far. I have a 2016 2.0T and I have been contemplating getting a tune. (APR or Unitronic)
Old 06-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Just some bum.

Originally Posted by Warhead
Would you mind sharing what octane and your experience with APR's tune thus far. I have a 2016 2.0T and I have been contemplating getting a tune. (APR or Unitronic)
91 octane, any higher is not at every station (not even close) around here.

I've only had it since Friday and other than the steering issue, it's been a blast! The better half hates the random stiff steering, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's something they can undo or change.
Acceleration even at highway speeds is fast.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've only had it since Friday and other than the steering issue, it's been a blast! The better half hates the random stiff steering, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's something they can undo or change.
I've got a 2015 Q5 and it started doing the same thing today. No update or changes to the car. I was at dealers looking at trading it in and I was worried one of these messed with something. Let me know if you figure anything out. I will do the same.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I hope your steering issue is resolved quickly amd with ease! I will most likely be waiting till my warrenty runs out before tuning it. APR seems to give more power too! (I would go with 91 as well for the same reason)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Just some bum.

Update: I took the Q5 into the local APR dealer this morning. The owner was there this time and took it for a spin with me. He noticed the random 'stiff spots' as well, especially at low speed (e.g.: parking lots) where you'd sometimes need to firmly grip the wheel to turn it.

They took out the flash so the car was back to factory. It was exactly as it was three weeks ago: finger-touch steering, no stiff spots. They reflashed it again and everything worked perfectly: a noticeable boost from the APR tuning and the steering was seemingly untouched. I'm not sure if APR has an updated flash they put in, but it seems to be fine.

Odd thing that's been gnawing at me since it was fixed earlier this morning: everyone was telling me the tuning should not affect the steering, but the steering was messed up right after the flash and it reverted back to normal right after the flash was removed. So there must be something touching steering somehow. If it were an unrelated glitch with the steering that coincidentally arose right after the flash, it should still be there, right?

Last edited by Blech; 07-04-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: grammar, clarification

Quick Reply: APR ECU Stage I tune, stiff steering?