Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Ashtray "delete"??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ashtray "delete"??

Got a Q5 last week (2011 2.0T Prem+, Nav, Deep Sea Blue & Cinnamon) and am loving just about everything about it so far. But there is one thing that is annoying me a little. There really isn't a convenient place for me to store my ID badge for work. I'd love to have even a small cubby in front of the gear-shift and/or below the AC controls. Where the ashtray is located would be perfect--has a cover for when I want things out of sight, easy to reach, etc.--except about the only thing that will fit in the ashtray is some coins or... well... ashes.

So, the punchline: Has anybody tried to remove the ashtray and replace it with a plain-bottom cubby like some A3 owners have done? I know it won't be as big a space because of the sliding lid and the 12V adapter (with it's actual cigarette lighter!), but even something big enough for a few business cards and my work ID would be great.

Or alternatively, does someone know what is involved with removing the ashtray if I want to try to fabricate something myself? I didn't want to go and break something right off the bat, so I gave just a very light pull on the tray to see if it would just pop out, but it didn't. It felt fairly substantial, actually.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is a sliding release button just to the right of the ashtray. This allows you to remove the tray and will give you a little bit more room. I hope it's enough!
The other place to use is the tray on the inside of the glove compartment door.
I had to find a spot for my parking pass. I stuck a small Velcro button on it and I stick it to the rear nook inside of the central armrest - works great.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a space right between the armrest and cupholders, which is where the controls for the heated/cooled cupholders would go in the prestige model, would go. This is where I store my parking pass.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrV
There is a sliding release button just to the right of the ashtray. This allows you to remove the tray and will give you a little bit more room. I hope it's enough!
The other place to use is the tray on the inside of the glove compartment door.
I had to find a spot for my parking pass. I stuck a small Velcro button on it and I stick it to the rear nook inside of the central armrest - works great.
Oh good, I'll try that as soon as I get back to my car this afternoon!

FitzLA, yeah, I have a couple really small things in the spot I think you're talking about, but my ID seemed a bit cludgy there. If removing the ashtray doesn't give me enough room, I may try that spot again.

It's really unfortunate that they couldn't come up with even a small cubby under the center console for loose items. And so far the cupholders seemed like they might be pushing it with larger drinks. Oh well, as much as I like having nicely organized storage areas and large cupholders, I sure wasn't going to buy a car based on those things. I'll just come up with some simple solutions to what spaces are in the car.

The first work-around I had was to get some small accordion folders to keep various paperwork and some maps organized in the glovebox--with Nav, I don't really need the maps, but sometimes I still like to use them for planning a long trip/route and as a backup. The glove box is enormous compared to my Accord's, so organization is going to be more important if I ever actually want to find something in there.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to remove the shifter panel to get the ashtray completely off...

I had it off when I was doing "other" experiments
Old 01-25-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

So does anyone know if this part is available for the Q5??
Old 01-25-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

There is of course the incredibly tiny sunglass holder in the overhead. My spare sunglasses are NOT terribly large, but they won't fit. Neither will a standard credit card. Still, the space is there.

You could try a door armrest pocket, they're sold inexpensively on Amazon in black or "tan". It is a small "bucket" that pops into the gap in the arm rest, so that can be used as a handy storage pocket.

The ashtray, even with the liner removed, really is just another cruel joke.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Redd! I already installed the door armrest "pockets" and the center console tray - great additions! I am still on the hunt for more storage. I have been trolling the Audi owner boards to see if there is a Q5 ashtray delete option like the pic shown above - seems odd that Audi would have the option for only certain models....
Old 01-25-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

There are also EU-spec and third party "under seat bins" that fit under the front seat and slide out for some storage. Plenty of space down there, but AoA seems to think colonials don't deserve access to it.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just start smoking and use the ashtray properly......lol

Quick Reply: Ashtray "delete"??