Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Assist did not approve rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Assist did not approve rebuild.

Hi this will probably be a long winded question so here goes, I have a 2009 A4 Avant I bought at 87000ks.

After discovering it had oil consumption issues I took it into a dealer for an oil consumption test, it failed miserably, waited for approval from Audi assist for rebuild denied as discrepancies with service history ( wasn't always serviced by Audi ) all of this before I owned the car.

Some might say you should've checked the service history, I bought the car out of warranty so I didn't care who serviced it as long as it was serviced and it was serviced regularly, didn't expect after 2 months to be topping up with oil ( yes I didn't know about this issue before purchase)

I guess what I'm trying to get at is... not using Audi dealers with Audi specific oils, being a bit late on a service......once....according to Audi Australia and Audi Assist be the cause of this oil consumption problem?

I have read on forums about class action law suits against Audi in Europe and the US from people buying the car from brand new and this issue happening after 15-30,000mls? I assume these people were getting their cars serviced by Audi?

Anyway thanks for listening and any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I have no guess how the laws work in Oz, so you'll need to do some local research.

But here in the US, our federal courts have ruled that auto makers (specifically) must honor a warranty unless they can prove (specifically) that the customer's actions, like using a non-approved oil, really caused the failure of an engine. You see the line of thinking? Our courts are saying sure, maybe bozo used the wrong oil, maybe he didn't. You've got to show proof that was the actual cause of the problem--or else it will be assumed not to be relevant.

There might be similar rulings in Oz, that would encourage (or require) that Audi honor their usual program terms, unless they could prove the PO's previous service history was actually the cause of the problem. Either way, you'd need to know if Oz has set any precedent on this, and even then perhaps remind Audi that they will need to prove the previous service has been the problem, as opposed to "might have been" a cause. Do you have a city or county "Consumer Affairs" agency that might be able to help you find that out?
Old 11-07-2017, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thanks very much there is a consumers body I can go to here in Oz, I will give them a call.