Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Care and Replacing the Engine Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Will this probably be your last Euro car because of a dirty air filter?
Not even. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Audi lines!!! But, I am heading into retirement in about 5-6 years and they are just too difficult and pricey to maintain versus Japanese models. I had to make the same decisions with my motorcycles! I'll be on a fixed budget so those are considerations I must take to heart.

I have always wanted to own a European car and now I do. And I will enjoy it as long as I have it. But there are certainly some growing pains.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, the Asian (and American) cars are catching up fast in complexity. I doubt there are many hobbiest mechanics that could keep up with most of them these days. The electronics alone can require special tools, experience, training and knowledge to diagnose and repair. Think side assist, ACC, brake guard and on and on. Audis, BMWs and Mercedes' are no longer alone in all of these things.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, the Asian (and American) cars are catching up fast in complexity. I doubt there are many hobbiest mechanics that could keep up with most of them these days. The electronics alone can require special tools, experience, training and knowledge to diagnose and repair. Think side assist, ACC, brake guard and on and on. Audis, BMWs and Mercedes' are no longer alone in all of these things.
True, but there will always be better options for those on a fixed income and even the lower end models are getting nicer. Overall, I would just like to be able to change a damn engine air filter and cabin air filter easily on my own and also be able to take the car to a local lube shop for a simple oil change. That's not a lot to ask for.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmn4667
Can you provide a link for the website?

Thanks!
I believe your 3.0T uses the same Filter as my TDI and the SQ5 filter. If so (please verify before you buy it) than you would have 2 choices.

Pro 5 Oiled Filter 10-10121
Pro 5 Dry Filter 11-10121

aFe POWER 10-10121 Magnum FLOW Pro 5R Air Filter | Engineered Adrenaline

V/r
Dan
Old 09-02-2016, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jmn4667
True, but there will always be better options for those on a fixed income and even the lower end models are getting nicer. Overall, I would just like to be able to change a damn engine air filter and cabin air filter easily on my own and also be able to take the car to a local lube shop for a simple oil change. That's not a lot to ask for.
I wasn't addressing comparing less expensive vehicles, only noting the increasing complexity of more auto brands.

You can take your car to any lube shop so long as they use the correct oil. On the other hand, I would never trust my $65K investment to one of those places. Also, if you like to do simple maintenance, why not do your own?
Old 09-02-2016, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Years ago a dirty air filter was much more problematic than it is today. With a carburetor a dirty air filter causes more fuel use because it acts like a choke causing the fuel mixture to richen up. With a modern engine a dirty air filter can actually help you use less gas by limiting the power available. The engine compensates and the fuel mixture is optimized anyway.
Another problem with a dirty air filter is as it gets dirty it passes more dirt. Many after market filters do much worse when dirty passing more dirt when tested. The factory intervals seem fine for normal use, dusty conditions have at it and change more often.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Back on original post and pic, that is fair amount of crap for 15K miles and a 3.0 doing the sucking through what I expect is one panel or maybe cone filter. 2.0T is panel but I don't know 3.0 set up. Are you in an area with lots of sand, gravel, dirt roads? Or parking or driving in areas with lots of trees, blowing leaves, grass, etc. Nothing a filter can't handle, but underneath my reaction is that amount of stuff (and probably more in filter still) in 15K miles is on heavier side.

Filter intervals don't surprise me. Not meaningfully different than my Chrysler or Toyota than preceded family Q5, both also panel filters in fuel injected V6 motors. And both of those with pedestrian intake and air box set ups. Pleated area of either a panel or cone arrangement are fairly similar, whichever you have. On the practical side from having dealt with these a fair amount on my W12 that sucks 6 liters through two cone filters, there I had a 40K mile change interval. But air path is less then 12" from grill to filter, straight in like ram air flow. Great bug and grass catcher too. At $80 plus a pop for DIY two quality filters, I just pulled them at 20K approx (half the interval), blew off with air nozzle at low to medium air pressure (not high), blew the box out similarly and reassembled. No big deal, can breathe better and 30-45 minutes of my time for twin boxes once I learned how they are put together. Didn't install my first set of filters on my per filter dime until post 100K--since AudiCare and the old extended version took it through first tow major intervals ending at 75K.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aFe Filter for the 3.0 V6 TDI

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery
I believe your 3.0T uses the same Filter as my TDI and the SQ5 filter. If so (please verify before you buy it) than you would have 2 choices.

Pro 5 Oiled Filter 10-10121
Pro 5 Dry Filter 11-10121

aFe POWER 10-10121 Magnum FLOW Pro 5R Air Filter Engineered Adrenaline

V/r
Dan
Just wanted to confirm the above filter works on the 3.0 V6 TDI in the Q5. Thank you.