Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi looking to relieve traffic stress with cars that talk to lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Audi looking to relieve traffic stress with cars that talk to lights

Audi is rolling out technology that will allow its vehicles in the United States to communicate with traffic signals, allowing for a more stress-free ride in what it says is the car industry’s first commercial use of the nascent technology.

Audi of America, which is owned by Volkswagen, said select 2017 Q7 and A4 models built after June 1, 2016 will be equipped with its vehicle-to-infrastructure technology.

Known in the industry as “V-to-I,” the technology allows traffic signals and other infrastructure to exchange safety and other operational data wirelessly to vehicles over the cloud.
Audi looking to relieve traffic stress with cars that talk to lights - The Globe and Mail
Old 08-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waninae39
Audi is rolling out technology that will allow its vehicles in the United States to communicate with traffic signals, allowing for a more stress-free ride in what it says is the car industry’s first commercial use of the nascent technology.

Audi of America, which is owned by Volkswagen, said select 2017 Q7 and A4 models built after June 1, 2016 will be equipped with its vehicle-to-infrastructure technology.

Known in the industry as “V-to-I,” the technology allows traffic signals and other infrastructure to exchange safety and other operational data wirelessly to vehicles over the cloud.
Audi looking to relieve traffic stress with cars that talk to lights - The Globe and Mail
This will definitely be a nice feature to have
Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would be great. For example, I get on the expressway and go for 4 miles, then get off and have to turn left at a timed light. A smart system could tell me what speed I needed to go on the expressway, to arrive at the light without having to wait, or without missing the light. Or, if there is minimal no cross traffic, knowing that I approaching in 3 minutes, it could change the light to let me through, then return.

I bet smart infrastructure could reduce fuel consumption by 30% or more on passenger cars without the need for hybrids or batteries. All it requires is a GPS enabled navigation module with 2 way communication to infrastructure network access points.

Really, there's no need to have it integrated in the car unless it's going to drive for you.

The best feature would be cars that automatically moved out the the F***** left lane when you approached from behind at a faster speed.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

BS.
As the link explains, apparently all that this technology will do is allow your dashboard to show the same countdown that an alert driver would already be reading from the pedestrian crosswalk signs. The newer ones count down how much longer a light will be green. So, the car will now do the same for red? Red lights are usually on a 1 or 2 minute cycle, you just deal with it.
Now, TRULY interactive traffic lights were tested here in the 80's. Emergency vehicles were equipped with an IR blaster that would immediately trip the light to green for them. And, clever impatient drivers got hold of the same thing, so the system was scrapped.
New traffic control systems use cameras and computers. If the system sees traffic is backed up, it plays with the lights in an effort to clear the traffic. Which can backfire and cause pileups on longer routes with cross-traffic ties.

One more piece of totally pointless exercise in "Yah, we are a technology company!" but with or without it, you're still going to wait for that light, aren't you?

Now, if the ABS system engaged and slammed the car to a halt when the light ahead turned red, THAT would be technology.(G)