Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

audi q5 2017 snow chains

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi q5 2017 snow chains

Hi folks,
Neeed to put snow chains today on my audi q5 2017. I have got the stock tires and i got this to install : https://lacledechain.com/product/alp...ck-suv-chains/ . This goes with the tire 235/55-R19.

However i cant seem to get this installed. THe "stuff at the back of tire: axle etc" seems to be getting on my way and is not as easy as this video demonstrates:

I found this thread: https://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/t...kiing-holiday/ that claims that installing snow chains on the default tires and wheels is not possible at all.

Is it true that we cant install snow chains on the default tires and rims?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

You do not need snow chains, just good winter tires

THIS

Last edited by spijun; 02-10-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Exactly!

Another good one...……..

My favorite Audi commercial...……..

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 02-10-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

No one needs chains or snow tires, they can just stay home until the spring.

HOWEVER.

Many people do not have a physical space in which they can store four extra mounted tires, so the ability to keep a set of snow chains or cables in the car, and then throw them on when and if needed, is a damned handy thing. Especially if you don't regularly drive in snow but do run the chance of being caught out in it once in a long while.

Really guys...and don't even think snow tires are rational if you live in snow country. I've outpaced the plows when I was running four STUDDED SNOWS and I can tell you, that studded snows make snow tires look like a cruel joke if you are on hard pack or ice. Especially black ice. On the other hand, studded snows are treacherous on plain wet roads, Hard on tire wear. And the clack-clack-clack at idle speed makes you paranoid about what incredibly huge and hungry tiger may be stalking your car.

So if the OP wants chains...let's just assume there may be a reason for that?

If the video doesn't help, and the instructions don't help, and the chains really are low clearance "S" chains that are made for the tire size on the car? The best thing may be to go to a tire store and politely ask if someone wants to make a fast twenty by showing the OP how chains should be put on. They might even say "hang around a few minutes, glad to show you, no charge."
Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, also consider that conditions and rules outside your region are not universal...

For most visitors to California's mountains, trips begin with hundreds of highway miles at temperatures of 50F or warmer, before suddenly climbing into the high elevations where snow and ice prevail. The vast majority are not keeping their cars in a cold climate for an entire season, but visiting for a day or a week. Also, the National Parks in the Sierra Nevada often require every car to carry chains in winter and will turn you away at the gate if you do not have any in your possession, regardless of whether they are currently required to be mounted.

Just about the only configuration that makes sense here is all-season M+S tires with all-wheel drive, and a set of cable chains stowed away just in case. We have three official chain control levels in between no restrictions and road closure: chains excepted for M+S tires or for 4 wheel drive, chains excepted for M+S tires with 4 wheel drive, and chains required for all.

So, I use all-season tires on my quattro Audis and carry a reasonable set of cable chains to satisfy the law. I have never had to mount my chains on an Audi, but I have them to placate rangers and as insurance should I actually find conditions where my tires do not suffice (something that hasn't happened for me in 20 years).
Old 02-11-2019, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Karl-
Can I ask exactly which chains you chose? There seem to be a hundred on the market and no real good reason to choose any one or the other. But I'm sure there are some differences in quality and performance.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I buy typical "S"-clearance cable chains. Many years ago, I bought sets from local auto stores and really had no choice but the brand they had on the shelf. I should not endorse any particular product, since I have not actually had the need to test them in snow since buying my first quattro A4. My previous set outlasted my car, since I never used them in the snow and the tire sizing changed with the next car.

My most recent set was via Amazon and is "Cobra Chain" from the Quality Chain Co. They seem nearly identical in construction to the previous sets. They are quite inexpensive, so I figure I might replace them after one season if I am ever forced to use them. From the factory, they come well oiled and look like they will last forever in storage. Once they get wet, worn, and/or salty, I don't know how quickly corrosion will set in.