Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Questions about SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Questions about SQ5

Hey everyone. First post and researching my next car. I have never owned an Audi but have owned several other brands. Currently I have a 2014 CTS Vsport which I enjoy a lot, but looking to get into something a little larger. I'm deciding between a smallish suv or a larger car such as the CT6.

I drove a 2016 SQ5 yesterday and really liked it. It was pretty quick and handled just fine. Not as sporty as my car but i'm okay with that. I have some questions to ask while I still do research.

1. Are there any particular years to watch out for on the sq5? I only buy used so it would be 2015-2017.
2. Are oil changes and brakes something I can diy? With my Caddy it requires nothing special or having to flash a computer or anything. Just like any other car.
3. Are the ventilated seats and hud hard to find?
4. How is the depreciation compared to other luxury brands like Cadillac and BMW? I bought my Vsport for 50% off of sticker with when it was 3 years old and 35,000 miles.
5. What suspension options are offered? I think I saw air suspension, but if it's not air then what does it come with? Is there anyway to tell what's in the car by the outside? I ask because im considering buying one that was in a minor accident with a salvage title and fixing it.
6. Are there any common catastrophic or costly issues that plague these cars? If I buy a salvage one to fix I wont have a warranty. (I've fixed a few salvage cars so i'm well versed in it).
7. Any must have options I cant live without? I live in NC so the weather is fairly warm, but enjoy the heated seats and steering wheel in my car. I also like the ventilated seats. I rarely use the radar cruise control but it's nice on occasion. Hud is awesome too and would like to get one too if possible.

If theres anything else you can share about these cars I would appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:55 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

1. Are there any particular years to watch out for on the sq5? I only buy used so it would be 2015-2017.
No particular years to watch out for. I think 2016+ had a slightly different option with diamond stitched sport seats.

2. Are oil changes and brakes something I can diy? With my Caddy it requires nothing special or having to flash a computer or anything. Just like any other car.
Oil change can be done from up top with suction if you like since the filter is on top. Oil change light is MMI re-settable but "Service reminder" requires dealer, VCDS tool or other OBD tool. They can be different intervals. my oil is 5k my service is 10k.

Mine is a 2014 I wasn't aware of either of these options. Maybe there was a comfort seat package that offers ventilated seats, but then you forgo the sport seats and then IMHO why S model.

4. How is the depreciation compared to other luxury brands like Cadillac and BMW? I bought my Vsport for 50% off of sticker with when it was 3 years old and 35,000 miles.
Depreciation is going to be same or worse than other luxury brands. Audi's are not know for good resale perhaps R8 exception.

5. What suspension options are offered? I think I saw air suspension, but if it's not air then what does it come with? Is there anyway to tell what's in the car by the outside? I ask because im considering buying one that was in a minor accident with a salvage title and fixing it.
No air on the MKI years you are looking at. There was an electronic damping available in later years '16-'17 I believe, but otherwise it is standard sport suspension with no ride height difference from a Q5 for US standards.

6. Are there any common catastrophic or costly issues that plague these cars? If I buy a salvage one to fix I wont have a warranty. (I've fixed a few salvage cars so i'm well versed in it).
I have no knowledge of salvage,but off the top of my head I'd keep an eye on water pump, timing chain tensioner system, belts (since supercharged), harmonic damper, coolant/heat excahnger system if you are looking at front end damage as the heat exchanger for the intercooler is quite low in the front of the car.

7. Any must have options I cant live without? I live in NC so the weather is fairly warm, but enjoy the heated seats and steering wheel in my car. I also like the ventilated seats. I rarely use the radar cruise control but it's nice on occasion. Hud is awesome too and would like to get one too if possible.
I may be mistaken but heated seats are standard on SQ5, no heated steering wheel. (It would nix the nice thick flat-bottom wheel anyway.) Vent seats not sure, maybe in the aforementioned comfort package. Subjective options, I like the carbon trim, 21" wheels, B&O and NAV options we got.

Only thing I could say would be sure to drive one. I never drove an adaptive suspension model, but the regular sport suspension can be quite stiff for some people's tastes. I don't mind it though. Otherwise for myself it was a perfect replacement of my B8 S4.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

1. It would be 14, 15, 15, 17 as used and I think 16 had the red calipers F&R.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Depreciation is going to be same or worse than other luxury brands. Audi's are not know for good resale perhaps R8 exception.
I disagree with your answer regarding resale value. It is comparable with many vehicles. Against german cars, it is similar. Against a Subaru, no. I use residual value as a proxy for resale value. A quick search on a 3 yr/36K 2017 SQ5 P+ lease has a lease residual of 59%. I usually get more than residual for an Audi trade-in.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
No particular years to watch out for. I think 2016+ had a slightly different option with diamond stitched sport seats.

Oil change can be done from up top with suction if you like since the filter is on top. Oil change light is MMI re-settable but "Service reminder" requires dealer, VCDS tool or other OBD tool. They can be different intervals. my oil is 5k my service is 10k.

Mine is a 2014 I wasn't aware of either of these options. Maybe there was a comfort seat package that offers ventilated seats, but then you forgo the sport seats and then IMHO why S model.

No air on the MKI years you are looking at. There was an electronic damping available in later years '16-'17 I believe, but otherwise it is standard sport suspension with no ride height difference from a Q5 for US standards.

I have no knowledge of salvage,but off the top of my head I'd keep an eye on water pump, timing chain tensioner system, belts (since supercharged), harmonic damper, coolant/heat excahnger system if you are looking at front end damage as the heat exchanger for the intercooler is quite low in the front of the car.

I may be mistaken but heated seats are standard on SQ5, no heated steering wheel. (It would nix the nice thick flat-bottom wheel anyway.) Vent seats not sure, maybe in the aforementioned comfort package. Subjective options, I like the carbon trim, 21" wheels, B&O and NAV options we got.

Only thing I could say would be sure to drive one. I never drove an adaptive suspension model, but the regular sport suspension can be quite stiff for some people's tastes. I don't mind it though. Otherwise for myself it was a perfect replacement of my B8 S4.
Great info thank you. I drove a 16 yesterday and the car was a little firm but bad by any means. I'm just trying to get the options figured out. With Cadillac the options are not a la carte. If you get a trim level it will get certain options and that's it. Sometimes they offer packages but mostly it's just trim levels. Good in some ways but bad in others.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides
Old 03-15-2018, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another random question. The car i'm looking at fixing was hit on the rear quarter area. No frame damage, just some cosmetics on the quarter panel, bumper, door, and the wheel is push in towards the car a little bit. The bottom of the wheel is sticking out from the car a little bit, and the top of the wheel is pushed inward slightly. What parts could possibly be damaged? I haven't worked on rear suspension before, and have only had one awd car before. I found this image of a q5

I see two brackets that attach from rear the rotor to the frame. I know I will get the names wrong but control arms and knuckle? Those are probably bent. Maybe the axle, shock, brake line. Basically I just want to make sure these parts are not hard to come by or insanely expensive. Are the rear shocks like the magnaride? I know those can be pricey. Or there could be something else damaged i'm not seeing. I probably wont do the work but have a mobile mechanic come to my house and work on it. I just want to see if this will be under $1,500 to fix or could it be really expensive like $3k-$5k. Here is a photo

Old 03-15-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Me, I'm running fast from that. What you see is bad enough. What you can't see could be the headache.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shokhead
Me, I'm running fast from that. What you see is bad enough. What you can't see could be the headache.
I can visit the car in person. Are you saying this isnt fixable? Have you ever fixed a salvage car before? Some suspension components and body work then why not? This car is worth $50k retail in clean condition. If I can get in this car for $20k or less fixed with a rebuilt title then to me it's a good deal. I save $30k and dont get a warranty. It's not for everyone but for me I dont mind putting in work to save a lot of money. What else is in that corner that could be wrong and cost a lot of money? The body panels arent aluminum and neither is the frame so any body shop can fix it.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that looks more like 10k in damage or more to me. Lots of stuff to go wrong. Side assist sensor is in there some where. Battery is back there, fuses. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Questions about SQ5