Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 electrical fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info there. I’m in the UK. There is a lot to find out about the vehicle. No one seems to be giving any answers. I managed to find out which Audi garage sold the vehicle, but they don’t seem to have any recollection of it. I would need to find the previous owner then hopefully they would shed some light on the vehicle.
Usually when you but any vehicle, there is a registration document with the owners details on it. Unfortunately, one for my vehicle was probably never taken from the owner or distroied by the insurance company/garage.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know how the UK handles this, but suspect the scrap yard IS the previous owner as far as the law is concerned, especially if a scrap title was issued. And then the (outstanding compared to the US) privacy laws would probably cut off any information about previous owners?

Do you have anything like "Carfax" over there, where an insurance total might have been reported? I expect Audi "of the UK" would have little to say in the matter, if they are anything like Audi of America and you were inquiring about a car fire, they would say something like "You must be mistaken, our cars do not combust." Perhaps your insurer can tell you how they (insurers) share or research scrapped vehicle histories.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I don't know how the UK handles this, but suspect the scrap yard IS the previous owner as far as the law is concerned, especially if a scrap title was issued. And then the (outstanding compared to the US) privacy laws would probably cut off any information about previous owners?

Do you have anything like "Carfax" over there, where an insurance total might have been reported? I expect Audi "of the UK" would have little to say in the matter, if they are anything like Audi of America and you were inquiring about a car fire, they would say something like "You must be mistaken, our cars do not combust." Perhaps your insurer can tell you how they (insurers) share or research scrapped vehicle histories.

Iv'e been getting nowhere with the previous owner information apart from the fact the insurance company had bought the vehicle at some point.
The insurance company information is on the vehicle registration document are completely and utterly unhelpful.
they are not willing to give any information as I don't meet the criteria for data protection.
I had requested the vehicle report but no luck.
I don't know where I stand with remaining warranty. There is 2 years remaining but not sure if the warranty would still be valid.
I got the print out of the "Car Data" and have had a good fead through it. there is a PR number "EA0 Without subsequent warranty"
not sure what this means.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"I don't know where I stand with remaining warranty. "
You have GOT to be kidding.
From the myopic view of a Colonial unversed in Crown law....I'd still expect that if you bought rubbish, there is no warranty attached to it. The warranty terminated when the car was "destroyed" and the salvage title issued. At least here, a salvage title means "This stuff, whatever it was, is now rubbish. Burn it, bury it, do what you will, it is now rubbish."

And if you want to make it into a car again, you are the new "builder" and you are responsible for what you're building. You are the warrantor. And you've got to prove that it works, and works safely before some (but not all) states will allow it to be put back on a public road.

I'd be quite surprised if you could find any law, or precedent, to the contrary.

Whether the "salvage" title was issued for financial reasons or mechanical ones...it still says everyone has quit of it.

It may still be a bargain worth rebuilding and you may even find a buyer who is willing to ignore the changes in title, if the rebuild is right. Often that means buying a donor car and pulling whole sub-assemblies from it, rather than buying parts.

Last edited by Redd; 03-14-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakesh Solanki
Iv'e been getting nowhere with the previous owner information apart from the fact the insurance company had bought the vehicle at some point.
The insurance company information is on the vehicle registration document are completely and utterly unhelpful.
they are not willing to give any information as I don't meet the criteria for data protection.
I had requested the vehicle report but no luck.
I don't know where I stand with remaining warranty. There is 2 years remaining but not sure if the warranty would still be valid.
I got the print out of the "Car Data" and have had a good fead through it. there is a PR number "EA0 Without subsequent warranty"
not sure what this means.
When a car is issued a salvage title the factory warranty is cancelled.