Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 seat memory disables itself

Old 06-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Q5 seat memory disables itself

I've had this happen to me a few times already. Once in a while the Q5's seat memory button (i.e. the 'Set' button) stops functioning for no reason. The red LED doesn't light up when you press it and none of the memory buttons work. The seat can still be adjusted electrically, just that none of the saved seating positions can be recalled.

What I learnt from some other forums is to 'reinitialize' the seat when that happens. What that means is that I have to move the seat to all the maximum positions forwards, backwards, up, down, backrest up, backrest down etc. And amazingly the memory button will be active again, but the saved settings are gone.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
The following users liked this post:
MattMan3104 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-01-2010, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hasn't happened (yet) but it sounds similar to the window express up/down feature on my RS4. Every now and then, the express up will run the window up, but then immediately back down 4" or so. The fix is exactly what you mentioned - a reinitialization by running the window all the way down, holding for a second, then run it all the way up and hold it for a second. After that, it works fine again. Electrical gremlins!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the memory function fails have you tried locking the car and then re-opening using your other key? Seat memory functions can be switched on/off via the MMI but are key specific (along with some other settings). The function may be ON with one key and OFF with the other. Not sure if this activates/deactivates the memory function/LED on the door buttons but it's worth a try. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IainStevens
When the memory function fails have you tried locking the car and then re-opening using your other key? Seat memory functions can be switched on/off via the MMI but are key specific (along with some other settings). The function may be ON with one key and OFF with the other. Not sure if this activates/deactivates the memory function/LED on the door buttons but it's worth a try. Good luck.
Yeah I looked into that but that doesn't seem to be my issue cos I only ever use the car with one key. Anyway, I actually brought it to the dealer today, leaving the memory function disabled so the service advisor can see the problem for himself. I tried my best to point out that the button seems to function, just that the memory deactivates itself every once in a while. He didn't seem interested in my explanation and proceeded to send the car in to the technicians. At the end of the day, they said they needed to replace the switch (!).

I asked him what was the exact nature of the problem and he just said it wasn't working, it's under warranty, they need to order the parts blah blah. I thought ok, I'll wait for your call then. Got home, first thing I did once I parked my car was perform the whole seat up / down / forward / backward routine. Once again, the memory button came back to life. I don't care if they will replace the switch for me for free, I sure as hell don't want them to touch my car unnecessarily!
Old 07-17-2010, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by caminos
Yeah I looked into that but that doesn't seem to be my issue cos I only ever use the car with one key. Anyway, I actually brought it to the dealer today, leaving the memory function disabled so the service advisor can see the problem for himself. I tried my best to point out that the button seems to function, just that the memory deactivates itself every once in a while. He didn't seem interested in my explanation and proceeded to send the car in to the technicians. At the end of the day, they said they needed to replace the switch (!).

I asked him what was the exact nature of the problem and he just said it wasn't working, it's under warranty, they need to order the parts blah blah. I thought ok, I'll wait for your call then. Got home, first thing I did once I parked my car was perform the whole seat up / down / forward / backward routine. Once again, the memory button came back to life. I don't care if they will replace the switch for me for free, I sure as hell don't want them to touch my car unnecessarily!
We have an S5 cabrio and came across the exact same issue. One day the seat memory was dead. Seats work. Mirrors respond to the memory settings but nit the seats. I read this thread, was somewhat skeptical but went out to test on the car. It worked! I was about to book the car in to the dealer and you solved my problem. No idea why this should happen or why this fix works but work it does. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just experience the exact same problem however adjusting the seats to the extreme settings do not appear to fix it. Does the ignition need to be on or something?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kw00k
I just experience the exact same problem however adjusting the seats to the extreme settings do not appear to fix it. Does the ignition need to be on or something?
The problem went away when I took it to the dealer. The only thing I can think of is that I removed the key from the FOB when giving it to them. I wonder if that reset whatever was disabling it.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same thing happened to my Q5

Thank you for shearing with us what happened with the memory seats switch that also quit working in my 2009 Q5.Thanks to you I have it working back.I moved the driver seat buttons as you showed and the problem got solved.Thanks again.
Originally Posted by caminos
I've had this happen to me a few times already. Once in a while the Q5's seat memory button (i.e. the 'Set' button) stops functioning for no reason. The red LED doesn't light up when you press it and none of the memory buttons work. The seat can still be adjusted electrically, just that none of the saved seating positions can be recalled.

What I learnt from some other forums is to 'reinitialize' the seat when that happens. What that means is that I have to move the seat to all the maximum positions forwards, backwards, up, down, backrest up, backrest down etc. And amazingly the memory button will be active again, but the saved settings are gone.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same problem: Took to car wash, put the fob in ignition for attendee. He moved the seat while driving. When I picked it up the memory was again functional and the key fob would remember last positions.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap this works! Car does not need to be on!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Q5 seat memory disables itself