Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 Tires

Hello I am wondering what everyone is running on their Q5's for tires. I have been thinking about the Michelin Primacy MXM4's but I know my OE tires are Latitude HP. Also does anyone know if there would be any major problems with running the Primacy tires. It just seems like the Primacy tires have a much better review for handling and fuel efficiency and overall customer satisfaction.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Michelin officially has the Latitude series for cars 4x4:
MICHELIN Latitude Diamaris, MICHELIN Latitude Sport, MICHELIN Latitude Cross, MICHELIN Latitude Tour HP, MICHELIN Latitude Alpin, MICHELIN Latitude X-Ice

I think Michelin Primacy MXM4 not for 4x4 cars
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drdean26
Hello I am wondering what everyone is running on their Q5's for tires. I have been thinking about the Michelin Primacy MXM4's but I know my OE tires are Latitude HP. Also does anyone know if there would be any major problems with running the Primacy tires. It just seems like the Primacy tires have a much better review for handling and fuel efficiency and overall customer satisfaction.
I guess the first question is, what are you using them for?

For instance, I live in the PNW so having snow-rated tires in the winter is a must. I just bought my 2013 Q5 and they came with the factory-installed "all-season" tires, which is really just to say "everything but snow/ice" tires. Come fall, I'll go to Costco and see if they have the same tires that they put on my TT & A6, which are rated both for daily driving and for snow/ice driving conditions. I don't remember what they are but can look it up when I get home if you're super-interested.

If you're looking for off-roading tires, of course that's something else.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Turguin
I guess the first question is, what are you using them for?
If you're looking for off-roading tires, of course that's something else.

Look Location: Hawaii
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am looking mainly for just highway driving. There is a little bit of off-roading in Hawaii, but for me it is just pulling up to the beach.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am looking mainly for just highway driving. There is a little bit of off-roading in Hawaii, but for me it is just pulling up to the beach.
I would have recommended Street/Sport summer tyres

Perhaps this will help
Name:  su-wi-al-1_zps907202c9.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

there should not be any problems running Primacy tire on Q5 but 500 index is not too far from 440 on OEM tires-most likely the Primacy tire is made of harder rubber so it does not wear as quickly as Latitude. You may notice more road noise and /or road imperfections on a harder tire.

IMO: I did not buy luxury crossover to put cheaper tires-in fact on our Q5 I removed OEM dunlops at 20K miles and replced them with Michelin PILOT MXM4 to get more comfort, softer ride and less road noise...My mechanic was very surprised to see the tires I told him to remove because there was enough thread for at least 10k miles..
Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by m1964
there should not be any problems running Primacy tire on Q5 but 500 index is not too far from 440 on OEM tires-most likely the Primacy tire is made of harder rubber so it does not wear as quickly as Latitude. You may notice more road noise and /or road imperfections on a harder tire.

IMO: I did not buy luxury crossover to put cheaper tires-in fact on our Q5 I removed OEM dunlops at 20K miles and replced them with Michelin PILOT MXM4 to get more comfort, softer ride and less road noise...My mechanic was very surprised to see the tires I told him to remove because there was enough thread for at least 10k miles..
So with the Pilot MXM4's you noticed more quietness and comfort. Did you also notice any difference in fuel economy or drivability on wet roads.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So with the Pilot MXM4's you noticed more quietness and comfort. Did you also notice any difference in fuel economy or drivability on wet roads.
Pilot MXM4 are great for everyday driving including wet roads, and decent for snow as well. I did not look at fuel consumption since the comfort was the main reason to put them. They seem to wear slower then OEM Dunlops. I had Continentals (decent tire), Nokians (POS)and Michelins on our SUVs over the years, and Michelins seem to be the best all around tires. If you look at tire warranties, most of the performance and high quality tires come w/ no mileage warranty because they are made of a softer rubber to get better grip. And a lot of cheap tires comes w/ 50k-60K miles warranty. Again, I believe that when you buy $45K vehicle, you don't put regular gas if recommended gas is premium, and I do not put cheap brakes/tires because it will affect drivability, safety and ride quality -those are things that make our Q5 luxury vehicle...