Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 Transmission fluid check procedure

Old 08-03-2016, 03:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 Transmission fluid check procedure

Hi guys,

I have a 2011 Audi Q5. My car was into an accident last year. the two hoses going to the coolant radiator from the transmission were broken and replaced.

The transmission refilled with transmission fluid again after changing the hoses and the small radiator, but checking the transmission fluid was not done correctly.

now I have the correct transmission fluid from Audi, and I know where is the bolt under the car that you check the level with. I know this car does not have dipstick nor need checking, but since the car was in an accident and transmission fluid was added into it again then it need to have correct amount of transmission fluid.

I checked many posts and I even asked a guy from Audi for the procedure. the best I got was like below:

1- put the car on a lift or on the flat floor.
2- Open the bolt under the car when the car is cold.
3- Add more fluid into it until it come out then close the bolt once it stopped coming out.
4- start the car and let us run in IDLE for 30 mins ( DO NOT DRIVE IT).

5- then drive after the 30 mins.

Now, I do not know if this procedure is correct or not. I really need your help to provide me a correct procedure to fix my car.

Yesterday I noticed a noise whenever I lift my feet from the Gas pedal and let the car slow down on its own. The car accelerate correctly 1,2,3,4,5--8 but I think when it slows down it does not shift the gears back correctly 8,7,6,5,---1.

I appreciate your help. and please make sure providing new Audi procedure for Audi Q5 2.0

Thanks,
Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

If you have the 8-speed tiptronic, here are the instructions from the ZF, the manufacturer of the transmission.

Some key points to remember:
1. Fluid temperature. You need a VAG-COM/VCDS to do it properly.
2. You need to wait for the temperature to reach 35 C before you remove the ATF inspection plug, NOT the drain plug.
3. When the temperature reaches 40 C and fluids are just trickling out, keep the engine running, then install the inspection ATF inspection plug. You must install the inspection plug before the ATF reaches 45 C.

I have a more detailed write-up somewhere, but I can't find it now. Just google "findalex zf 8hp45" and you should find some threads on it.

Finally, if your mechanic did not use genuine Lifeguard oil or its approved equivalent, then I strongly suggest you at least drain and fill a few times. I've read many times that ZF transmissions are happiest with their fluid... even though other manufacturers say their ATF is "recommended" as a replacement for ZF fluid.

Recommended is not the same as approved by the manufacturer. It just means THEY think it will work based on their own testing... not ZF's.

Last edited by findalex; 09-28-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pakaie
Hi guys,

I have a 2011 Audi Q5. My car was into an accident last year. the two hoses going to the coolant radiator from the transmission were broken and replaced.

The transmission refilled with transmission fluid again after changing the hoses and the small radiator, but checking the transmission fluid was not done correctly.

now I have the correct transmission fluid from Audi, and I know where is the bolt under the car that you check the level with. I know this car does not have dipstick nor need checking, but since the car was in an accident and transmission fluid was added into it again then it need to have correct amount of transmission fluid.

I checked many posts and I even asked a guy from Audi for the procedure. the best I got was like below:

1- put the car on a lift or on the flat floor.
2- Open the bolt under the car when the car is cold.
3- Add more fluid into it until it come out then close the bolt once it stopped coming out.
4- start the car and let us run in IDLE for 30 mins ( DO NOT DRIVE IT).

5- then drive after the 30 mins.

Now, I do not know if this procedure is correct or not. I really need your help to provide me a correct procedure to fix my car.

Yesterday I noticed a noise whenever I lift my feet from the Gas pedal and let the car slow down on its own. The car accelerate correctly 1,2,3,4,5--8 but I think when it slows down it does not shift the gears back correctly 8,7,6,5,---1.

I appreciate your help. and please make sure providing new Audi procedure for Audi Q5 2.0

Thanks,
Hi,

I just did transmission oil change on my 2010 Q5 (6-speed)- I emailed ZF directly (ZF.com) and after a few days they e-mailed me the PDF file applicable to my model/year that explained in details the oil change procedure.