Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi silence on 3.0TDI owner compensation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=tmfstyle;24767325]
Originally Posted by gojones
I sent an email: Good morning Mr. Keogh. I was hesitant to compose an email given the small chance of it influencing any decisions.

Glad to see the emails, even though I agree that a few emails are unlikely influence a decision. However any collective approach is likely to have a greater impact than an individual action. With that in mind, this forum is probably the best way to communicate ways to protect owners' interests.
Assuredly, Mr. Keogh likely does not peruse this forum, but he might, just maybe, have one of his minions looking on a regular basis. If you'll wander over to the A6, A7, A8 sections, you'll immediately notice there isn't as much of a groundswell of angst among those that own TDI units as we have here on the Q5 section.
The eMails are read, no doubt. Squeaky wheels do not always get greased, but it can't hurt to voice an opinion or a grievance. Remaining silent is not a very good option....
Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting story....

VW loses Fla. Lemon Law case - wptv.com
Old 01-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Today is the last day of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. I really expected with all of Audi's claims of appreciation toward its brand loyalists, that there would have been some sort of goodwill gesture or announcement made while they were here visiting. Instead we were ignored and cast aside while you marketed your next product. How arrogant. If it wasn't before, it is now abundantly clear where our loyalty stands. Have a safe flight home, Audi.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just sent the following email to the Audi Canada President:

I received the offer and would appreciate my comments be forwarded to Daniel Weissland.

My first Audi was a 2011 Q5 3.2 that was fully optioned and delivered September 2010. I enjoyed it so much that I traded it in for a fully optioned 2015 Q5 TDI with delivery October 2014.

While I am still extremely happy with my Q5 TDI, I remain concerned with the long-term impact of the scandal on the future value of my vehicle.

I understand that Porsche is offering a 100k mile (160k km) warranty extension for their affected owners and the Audi offering as detailed in the email I received January 14, 2016 is unimpressive; nor does it address my concerns/fears.

I purchased Audi Care and will have coverage for most, if not all, of my ownership period and it is unclear from the email's limited detail as to whether I will benefit from the two additional maintenance intervals coverage.

Also, since I have CAA coverage, the 3 yr extension of roadside assistance provides me no value whatsoever.

Since my Q5 has all available options, it is unclear as to what benefit I will derive from the $500 pre-paid card for Audi goods or services or whether there will be an expiry date governing its use/value.

I would like to remain loyal to the Audi Brand, but the manner in which this significant issue is being managed by Audi is not providing any comfort with respect to corrective measures potentially negatively impacting horsepower, fuel mileage, DEF consumption or longer-term engine reliability.

If I were asked to design a program it would comprise the following attributes:

1) Survey my customers regarding their most significant concerns regarding this issue such as impacts to horsepower, fuel mileage, DEF consumption, longer-term engine reliability and lost trade-in value/increased depreciation/general loss of value; and
2) Ensure that the compensation plan offering mitigates customer vehicle ownership concerns and reinforces brand loyalty.

Given the above, my offering would have the following components:

1) Extend the engine warranty to 100k miles (160k km) as this will alleviate any concerns for longer-term ownership;
2) Provide two vouchers for free regular maintenance intervals (benefits the recipient whether they purchased Audi Care or not);
3) Provide free DEF top-up during the extended engine warranty period; and
4) Provide a special loyalty discount valid for a maximum 6 years from solution implementation date to affected TDI owners (acts not only as compensation for lost value but also helps to ensure Audi Brand loyalty).

Respectfully,
Old 01-25-2016, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Perfect. Well written and you hit all the targets. Maybe someone on this forum will send a replicant to Scott Keogh.

In the meantime, we patiently await the remedy and the results of that remedy.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Based on what I've been able to glean from random web pages, it looks like only about 6k Porsches are affected in the US. Porsche can easily afford this goodwill gesture without even blinking, yet Audi's A3 TDI alone affects 13k vehicles in the US, with a total of 85k 3-L TDIs being affected in the US (VW, Audi, & Porsche combined).

When you consider an extended warranty would have to extend to 2-L cars too, I believe there are simply too many cars for Audi to provide an extended warranty.

Guessing it would likely be a couple of hundred thousand Audi cars... A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, and TT, as well as the Q3, Q5, & Q7 SUVs.

Don't hold your breath for an extended warranty.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deckardk

When you consider an extended warranty would have to extend to 2-L cars too, I believe there are simply too many cars for Audi to provide an extended warranty.

Guessing it would likely be a couple of hundred thousand Audi cars... A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, and TT, as well as the Q3, Q5, & Q7 SUVs.

Don't hold your breath for an extended warranty.
You are probably right that Audi would have to give an extended warranty to all TDI owners, 2 and 3 liter cars in the U.S. I am not sure the issues the diesels' face in Europe are as onerous as in the U.S. may not have to be dealt with in ways that could be required in the U.S. The same level of compensation may not be required.
I also wonder what the actual out of pocket costs of an extended warranty would be to Audi. I would like to know how much of the $3000 retail price of an extended warranty is allocated to various sales commissions, and how much profit is booked by the insurance company, as well as the profits booked by Audi and dealers on parts and labor associated with repairs. The cost to Audi of parts and dealer labor is probably significantly below the cost to private insurers. (However, there is the issue of profits to Audi which might be forgone from out of warranty repairs.) In any event, the total out of pocket cost to Audi is likely to be a fraction of the retail price of extended warranties.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ An excellent point regarding their actual cost. If their true costs average of $1k per car, a reasonable guess, given that most extended warranties are gravy (which is why they sell them), then the cost to Audi would be $250 million if it involves 250k cars.

The bean counters have decided that's too much money, even though they clearly have the funds to do it. But a quarter of a billion dollars is expensive goodwill, and they figure they can alienate these buyers and accept future lost sales opportunities for this group.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deckardk
^ An excellent point regarding their actual cost.

The bean counters have decided that's too much money, even though they clearly have the funds to do it. But a quarter of a billion dollars is expensive goodwill, and they figure they can alienate these buyers and accept future lost sales opportunities for this group.
Still hoping Audi goes way of Porsche rather than VW but my hopes are dimming, U.S. Audi management seems paralyzed. There are a total of 482,000 2.0 and 3.0 TDI's affected in U.S. I could not dig up actual numbers but I would be surprised if Audi diesels were more than 150,000 of that number. If for arguments sake, the costs associated with an extended warranty were $1500 per car vs. the $1000 cost of the VW package already offered, the $500 difference X 150000 cars would be $75 million - not a lot of extra money to make Audi owners happy (if the comments on the forum are a good indication).
Old 01-27-2016, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its too early I think to layout an outline of what we feel as TDI owners would be an appropriate "goodwill" package, especially because we do not even know what the fix is going to be. Unlike VW with the gift cards, we all might be pleasantly surprised by Audi who may make this right and exceed our expectations. I am willing to wait and see and have faith in Audi they will do us all right.

Quick Reply: Audi silence on 3.0TDI owner compensation?