Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi SQ5 or Mercedes GLC

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi SQ5 or Mercedes GLC

I have gone back and forth so many times I am getting a headache. This is the stereotypical if I could take the strongest attributes of each contender, I could build the perfect beast.

I am currently driving an Acura RDX and while it has been reliable, to me the Acura badge is a premium badge at best it is no longer or one could argue never was a luxury line.

I have a 65K budget for my new SUV and I think I have it down to the GLC or the Audi SQ5. The mercedes fit and finish is second to none but the Audi is no slouch either. The SQ5 styling is getting tired and is going to be refreshed this coming year but will be built in Mexico...Red flag in my book and it is unclear if the S line will even be offered right away.

The GLC is hand down more advanced in the tech department the Audi you cant even find a USB port. Apple Carplay is not offered in either from what I can tell.

The interior the Mercedes is a clear winner. It screams high end with the HUGE exception being the I-pad slapped on the dash. The wife said it would be a show stopper for her. I can get past this as the cabin is really well done in the GLC. The Audi is very nice inside the cabin once you add the needed options like sport seats and so on.

Under the hood is were the confusion really comes into play. If it was a GLC vs. the standard line Audi Q5 this is not a horse race the GLC would be the clear winner. But put the big S in front of the Audi and get the SQ5 and the Audi is a fire breathing dragon that is just simply a blast to drive. I can't believe it is a and SUV it handles terrific and makes quick work of passing on the highway. In dynamic mode it is just in another league when it comes to driving pleasure. The GLC is very nice ride but the 2.0 leaves a bit to be desired! I could wait until the 2.1 diesel is offered later this year but I am not sure this would scratch the itch either.

Lastly, I plan to keep the next truck 10 years. The prospect of ownership costs of the SQ5 is a bit scary to say the least. I have had 3 Audi's 2 great ones that were a joy to own and another not so much. I thing the GLC would fair much better over the course of 10 years of ownership.

I have literally changed my mind 10 times. I know it comes down to what aspects of ownership are important to ME..I also know I am posting this decision question the the Audi forum so views may be a bit tilted in the Audi camp but I would love to hear what folks think..

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have both and the SQ5 for me is the way to go. The GLC is only adequately powered. I do like the GLC interior and it does have a USB port, though only 500ma. Also, with vagcom and carista you can do your own maintenance much easier (resets, etc). And you can tune the SQ5!!!!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you want the exclusive feel, then go with SQ5. If there was a GLC AMG, then it would have been a different story. Still...that iPad though.....What were they thinking?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MNMinge
The interior the Mercedes is a clear winner. It screams high end with the HUGE exception being the I-pad slapped on the dash. The wife said it would be a show stopper for her.
If my wife said this I would have my answer. If you're planning on keeping it for 10 years why go against this?

I'm obviously biased but I would go SQ5.

Edit:

We just picked up a second car - an A4. I really wanted an SQ5 or another Q5 and my wife said no to both...hence the A4. She also said no to an S4. With a baby on the way she said to minimize spending on the second car. Lesson: Never go against the wife.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MNMinge, you might want to post this on a MB forum too for some additional perspective. I'm sure a good percentage of GLC buyers shopped both too. I agree that the biggest negative on the Audi is that it's in its 8th model year and is in need of updating in some areas. Other than that, still a compelling vehicle.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by sszyma
We have both and the SQ5 for me is the way to go. The GLC is only adequately powered. I do like the GLC interior and it does have a USB port, though only 500ma. Also, with vagcom and carista you can do your own maintenance much easier (resets, etc). And you can tune the SQ5!!!!
Carista appeared a year ago
There a lot Diagnostic Tool for Mercedes Benz

There was not a lot of options for the Q5 7-8 years ago. For the new A4 there are no options currently ( VCDS and Carista)

Conclusion: GLC300 Engine 2.0L turbo can be compared with the Q5 2.0TFSI not with SQ5

When comes out model GLC AMG with 270 kW (367 PS) 6 cylinders old engine or new 4 cylinders 280 kW (381 PS) you can make a comparison with the SQ5

Last edited by spijun; 03-15-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mercedes GLC 61K MSRP trimmed out the way I want it, Audi SQ5 61K MSRP the way I want it. Dollars match up but they are completely different driving experiences and will have different long-term ownership concerns.

So for me this is a relevant discussion. The upcoming GLC AMG is going to be 10-12 grand more I would bet all dressed up making the SQ5 even more attractive. By the time the GLC AMG is available the SQ5 may not be as we don't know when they will stop building them in this years offering. It has not been confirmed to my knowledge the SQ5 wll be offered right away when the Q5 redesign is out. So other dynamics to consider.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

You can always buy the SQ5 now, and trade-in when you have a new SQ5 design available or make the change to something else.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I want my next purchase to be a long-term play so I need to do all my homework before I make my decision.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a time sensitive decision? Or are you just tired from OCD google paralysis by analysis, and want this ordeal over?

Long-term play. I got the SQ5 because it makes me smile and giggle and get all tingly every frickin' time I drive it. I've posted in other threads about the lack of USB and the MMI being dated and how this and that, but I got rid of two better equipped newer refreshed vehicles because they were so boring to drive! As in made me "sad" pressing on the gas pedal.

Have you thought about a Macan S? But if I was thinking long term it would not be a German ride with no warranty. It'd be Lexus or maybe Infiniti. Nah, just Lexus. I've owned so many Toyotas with decades of miles and no issues. I've had every BMW, Porsche and Audi salesman tell me "you do not want to drive German unless there's a warranty."

But you want luxury line with 65K and excitement and nice interior with new spec. I'd be in a Macan S with smart options.

Last edited by kreativecid; 03-14-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi SQ5 or Mercedes GLC