Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi's alliance with Google

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default None and all of the above??

Living in Silicon Valley, I know and can see for myself most all the players have SV operations. Fairly low profile, but they have signs on the lawn and they aren't that hard to find. Ultimately they each have their own flavors and internal resources, but they are also gluing in pieces at times from others. I expect this to continue with the "majors." Also expect those facilities are there both to give each player insights about new developments, and to vacuum up as much info as possible.

On the other hand, if you are either a perceived laggard or just too small or relatively undistinguished (think Ford until a while ago, or maybe a Subaru or Mitsubishi or a variety of others), having someone else do it for you and offer something mainstream and reasonably current makes good sense.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I suspect the Android interface will be layered on to the existing system as it is today. I find it hard to believe it would supplant the existing iOS connectivity which would alienate a large group of potential buyers. What apparently won't happen is the advanced interoperability of Apple's "iOS in the car" but I can't imagine there would be a loss of what's there today for iOS users.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It is naïve to think that Google (or Apple) would limit its involvement to an operating system only. There is more in it for them: collection of driving habits gleaned from the ultimate mobile device.

If some are creeped out by Google placing ads and data collection based on one’s online searches, there is no reason the following couldn’t occur. As a former prosecutor, any law (as in against such collection of driving habits) will not stop someone from breaking it especially when there is so much to gain.

• Ads based on one’s predilection for stores or donut shops.

• Ads for Church or more **** if one frequents certain ‘clubs’.

• Data that would suggest a new carbon tax based on excessive speeds be instituted (and a note to your insurance company as well as local police). And you thought those red light cameras were bad?! Audi drivers may have more to worry about than, say Prius drivers (who always get in my way!)

• A printout of your destinations that you may not want your wife to see. Mistress perhaps….no, not referring to Feralc’s Ferrari 512.

• Another incredible data set for NSA to tap.

The possibilities are endless……
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dsackman
... and one of the reasons why I opted for the 328i two years ago was because of the superior interface with Apple. It is a crappy car and I will not make that mistake again.

It is because of Apple's proprietary nature that it is more stable and provides a superior user experience.

I was actually saddened that Audi elected to go the Android route, but it is understood from their association with Google search in their first soiree with operating system makers.

We will see what the future holds...

Really? Two years ago the 328i Nav/entertainment system used IOS as it's operating system? I must have missed this.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default +1

There is a huge overlap between Audi owners and Apple customers, more so at the margin I expect than for many other automotive brands. I expect both Audi and Apple (and Google and...) know that from their market research.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Really? Two years ago the 328i Nav/entertainment system used IOS as it's operating system? I must have missed this.
No. The interface between IOS on the mobile device and the vehicle systems. Far more IOS compatible allowing seamless interfacing between address books, addresses, e-mail and others.

Remember, the operating system (IOS, Android, MS, OS/370, VMS, etc.) is merely a mechanism for hardware to communicate with other systems that are built on top of it. In todays world we do tend to confuse apps and features with the operating system.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's the lack of 'ios in the car' that would steer me to a brand that does offer this next time around...
But you never know, Audi may still offer it, the idea of the feature is the car manufacturer doesn't need to be a tech partner with Apple to integrate it, it's just an API that any car OS (such as Android, Tizen or the current Audi MMI system QNX) could implement.

I expect, knowing Apple, the API is fairly simple and is just a VGA out from the iphone and touchscreen input back to it, i.e. The car is a glorified screen/keyboard for the phone and the intelligence stays in the Apple controlled device!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by josedebardi
It's the lack of 'ios in the car' that would steer me to a brand that does offer this next time around...
But you never know, Audi may still offer it, the idea of the feature is the car manufacturer doesn't need to be a tech partner with Apple to integrate it, it's just an API that any car OS (such as Android, Tizen or the current Audi MMI system QNX) could implement.

I expect, knowing Apple, the API is fairly simple and is just a VGA out from the iphone and touchscreen input back to it, i.e. The car is a glorified screen/keyboard for the phone and the intelligence stays in the Apple controlled device!
At last... Someone who understands the difference between the operating system and the applications running on top of the operating system.

You as the user/consumer do not see the operating system. You see the application running on top of the operating system. Even in desktop Windows, Internet Explorer is an application that happens to be bundled with the operating system. IE is not part of the operating system.

In reality it does not really matter what operating system is being used in the vehicle, unless there are more applications available for the one versus the other. I would love to be able to download applications from the Apple store and use them in the car. If that happens, there will be many car specific apps over time.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
There is a huge overlap between Audi owners and Apple customers, more so at the margin I expect than for many other automotive brands. I expect both Audi and Apple (and Google and...) know that from their market research.
I completely agree. And it would certainly be interesting to know the metrics and reasoning that went into Audi's decision to go with Google/Android rather than Apple/iOS. As a long-time Apple/Mac person (since 1986), I would rather have seen Audi team with Apple. But they didn't so we need to wait and see just what this partnership means in terms of features/functions relative to how the iPhone "fits". Audi would be making a serious mistake if they allow Google/Android to dominate the infotainment system to the detriment of Apple's iPhone. There will have to be some level of iPhone "compatibility" beyond just simple Bluetooth linking, otherwise iPhone owners will be marginalized and very frustrated. It will really be interesting to see just what iPhone owners will be "missing" compared to the Apple iOS integration in other makers' vehicles like BMW, M-B, etc. I expect this to be an evolutionary development with ongoing changes/improvements every model year as the technology rapidly changes. In the meantime, let's just see what's announced and demonstrated next week at the CES show.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

That was my original point, which car based operating system (apple vs google vs Microsoft ) will be more apt to provide functionality that supports both apple, android and Microsoft smartphones. Each of us have one or another of the major smartphone platforms. Which partner will make all the functionality of all major brands inter operate best.

Quick Reply: Audi's alliance with Google