Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Auxiliary Heater Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Auxiliary Heater Recall?

By chance today, through a car group on Facebook, I found out certain Q5 models (along with several others) have an open recall because corrosion in the auxiliary heater can cause fires.. I ran my VIN on the Audi website and sure enough, it showed up. First I’ve heard of it, has anyone been contacted by Audi about this?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think there was an earlier recall on this aux heater a while ago. I believe our '15 had the work done. The recall you are showing looks very fresh, something new.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes I had the original recall performed.It was strictly software based.it changed the timing of the supp.heater operation.This is a new issue.Sounds like it could get toasty if not addressed.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

My 2014 had been recalled, I think a year ago? I have no idea what the magic elves did to the auxiliary heater, it was a "takee fixee" day for me, I just bring the paper and have some coffee while they fixee. Looks like it is time to go get another cup of coffee. I guess you "H" fellows get all the mail before a lot of the rest of us.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Ok Redd I'll accept that I'm dense but please help me with this "you "H" fellows" ?
Old 11-04-2017, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
My 2014 had been recalled, I think a year ago? I have no idea what the magic elves did to the auxiliary heater, it was a "takee fixee" day for me, I just bring the paper and have some coffee while they fixee. Looks like it is time to go get another cup of coffee. I guess you "H" fellows get all the mail before a lot of the rest of us.
This recall is a complete removal/replace of the electrical heater grid. They got to remove a lot of stuff under the dash to get to the heater box. If you are going to have this done I would wait a long time until they have a 100 or more of these recalled vehicles fixed at your dealership. I just can't see the techs who have bodies that don't fit well in the foot wells to get in there and remove a lot of modules, connectors, plastic clips, etc ( I just looked at the Elsawin removal procedure) and put it all back together correctly.

I will most likely pass on this recall as my 2014 Q5 only has 12K miles on it, thus the heater element hasn't been exercised much at all. If it goes bad, I will pull the fuse as this heating element doesn't do much since the coding update, and just live the same as other folks who do not have an aux heater. If it catches on fire and burns my Q5 to the ground then I just get something else. The bottom line is that I don't want my dealer ripping apart a squeak/rattle free dash that won't be returned to me the same.......
Old 11-04-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Murray-
The OP's forum name appears to suggest his real name may be "J. Humphrey" or similar. When mailing lists go out, they go out in alphabetical order, so, "H" people get their mail days or weeks ahead of "M" and "R" and "Z" people. Cruel world.

Bob-
Didn't you ever watch the X-Files? Those big glass jars full of genetic experiments with odd green bodies? You know? My dealer says he gets a generous federal grant for hiring the handicapped, and he's made it his business over the years to actually start apprenticeship programs for folks with three elbows, or two wrists, or elven fingers. Prehensile tongues, whatever it take to really get in there and service the cars without needing special tools or hours of disassembly. (This is why you are not allowed to witness what happens in the service alley.)

My only gripe is that the R8 loaner cars only seem to come in black or white, never anything sharp enough to be seen in.(VBG)
Old 11-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do all Q5's have this auxiliary heater?
Old 11-05-2017, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthyQ
Do all Q5's have this auxiliary heater?
I have this question too, I found the option on my MMI to turn it off or leave it on auto. I am not sure what it is for.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also assuming this is only TDI models, right?

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Heater Recall?