Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

B&O sound system, sound feels unprocessed sound,got very dull since last fortnight

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O sound system, sound feels unprocessed sound,got very dull since last fortnight

I have B&O sound system in Audi Q5. I have not changed any settings since a month in the sound system. Balace is in center, Fader is in Center, DSP Gala Active, Surround 2 points over center, Bass 4 points over center, treble 2 points over center.
I had a rear end crash 2 weeks ago and my B&O sound system sounding different. Car is repaired and fixed by the insurer. but I lost my joy of B&O.
Sound is very dull, bass used to be lot better and more punchy. but now i dont feel bass at all. when I touch the sub in the boot tyrewell which is facing front correctly, I can feel the vibration. so it must be working may be not efficient as before.
I check VCDS no fault codes at all.
I really feel that the B&O DSP is not fully functional. I use 320kbps mp3 put in SD card slot1. same files were lot more fun before the crash not any more. so no change in the music file or format.
But if B&O DSP not functional how am I getting sound.
I even did the output test... All speakers giving that test tone however the sub was not as intense as the other speakers. not sure this is normal or not.

I am on forums since last 2 days trying to figure what and how could I fix this issue . On forums many said they could increase the B&O sound amplifier to +3db or +6db. all said go to 47 sound system module and open the long coding helper and under byte1 change 03 - no volume lowerin\raising to volume raising by 6db. so I tried to go 47 sound system, VCDS doesnt give me coding 07 at all... so I could not go to long coding helper.. dont know how..

This is control module reading for VCDS
Address 47: Sound System (J525) Labels: 8T0-035-223-BOM.clb
Part No SW: 8T0 035 223 AN HW: 8T0 035 223 AK
Component: DSP Prem H10 0190
Revision: 00010001 Serial number: 34804007132902
VCID: 7AFB259AF582EBC86F8

Could someone please help and guide me through this issue.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you think it's possible the subwoofer was physically damaged when you got rear ended? Check your wires.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alex8990
Do you think it's possible the subwoofer was physically damaged when you got rear ended? Check your wires.
Yes, my brother and I used to build loudspeakers and drivers can be very touchy. If the metal frame of the subwoofer driver was bent, it will still vibrate but not go in & out (called excursion) as efficiently or perhaps not at all. I don't have B&O but if it's a sealed sub and the housing is cracked, it will "leak" pressure which will also degrade sound. Should be pretty easy to diagnose.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Alex8990 and Dalancroft. I will remove the sub tomorrow and see if there are any cracks... Crash damage is really weird. there was a big bang and a mini van hit my car from behind. van has a bull bar and it got bent including its number plate.

when I saw my car just a small scratch and a little dent at the center of the back bumper. really?. I believe this is where the van bull bar touched my car. I dont think the Q5 bumper and body around that area are strong enough take that kind of a crash. but hey its a miracle.

Insurer only repaired the bumper and repainted it. they have confirmed that there is no internal damage else where. but I doubted as I really heard a big bang. will post back soon on my findings. thanks guys.

meanwhile I would like to request, someone who has VCDS with or without B&O could do some sequential output test in 47 sound system control module and tell me if the subwoofer gives same or more intensive sound than other speakers would be much appreaciated. thanks a lot.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check the alignment of the sub in the back? There is an arrow on the housing that shows which way it should point. Last year I had use my spare and after the tire was replaced my bass sounded weird. I looked in the back and the tire guy didn't realize about the alignment and it was 45 degrees off it's intended point.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, Sub is already pointing correctly i.e the front arrow is pointing towards the front of the car. I removed the sub from tyre well and checked thoroughly for any damage. it looks intact not cracks at all.

I tried VCDS again to get into 47 sound system module, I am still getting coding-07 disabled. dont know why.

Could anyone with vagcom cable and having B&O check 47 module and tell me if they can see coding-07 button enabled. or if someone knows how I can make that button enabled.

Also if anyone knows the security access code for 47 module because VCDS is not giving me the code as tool tip.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg_AU
On forums many said they could increase the B&O sound amplifier to +3db or +6db. all said go to 47 sound system module and open the long coding helper and under byte1 change 03 - no volume lowerin\raising to volume raising by 6db. so I tried to go 47 sound system, VCDS doesnt give me coding 07 at all... so I could not go to long coding helper.. dont know how..

Could someone please help and guide me through this issue.

You do not have this ??????

Old 08-02-2014, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Spijun, Thanks for your post. I really dont get this. Coding-07 is disabled for some reason. I can do other things in the module but cannot get into Coding-07.