Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Back in an Audi in My New Q5!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in an Audi in My New Q5!

After spending 3 years in an ML-350, I'm back in an Audi and so happy (had a Q7 prior to the Mercedes).

Picked up my Q5 3.0T last week. Premium Plus, Phantom Black, Chestnut Brown/black, MMI/Nav+, Sport Interior, B&O Sound.

I test drove the 2.0T, Hybrid, and the 3.0T two or three times over the past couple of months, and after tossing the 2.0T out pretty early on chose the 3.0T over the hybrid because it still felt like the hybrid was working harder to get me there.

Plus, when I saw the brown interior in person, after thinking I'd like it from what I'd seen on line, it was pretty much a done deal. And even though I think it has the standard 3.0T wheels they still look great. Hadn't seen any quite like them.

I'm still getting it broken in and learning how to use some of the MMI features my Q7 didn't have, but it's all so intuitive that I'm picking it up easy. The one thing that i finally figured out that was driving me nuts, was that i had to turn Bluetooth music streaming off in order to hear any sounds at all come from my iPhone. Not that I was texting and driving of course, but I still want to hear when I receive notifications! Also my first trip that i used Nav, i had to fiddle with the settings to not have it keep zooming out to show the whole route.

I couldn't be happier with the power and pick up that it has, especially when i shift into Sport mode. And with the paddle shifters i can keep the revs up a little more when i need to.

Trying to attach a couple of pics. Need to get the real camera out but these aren't too bad for phone pics.
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very, very nice...and I really like the Phantom/Chestnut combo. Mine is also Phantom and is equipped the same as yours but with the black interior. Love the Sport interior package. Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats!!

Curious about something and wanted your thoughts on this since you came from a ML-350. There is no heated steering wheel option in the Q5 which I still find hard to believe Audi can't offer this option. Did your MB have heated steering wheel and if yes, did it bother you too much with one for the Q5?

What was the sales rep's explanation for the lack of the heated steering wheel option from Audi? Did it make you ever reconsider not buying the car? Questions as I ponder on trading my Infiniti FX35 for a Q5 diesel later.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've heard there is an aftermarket solution for the heated steering wheel. I think it's called gloves. You'll have to google it to find where you can buy. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Congrats!!

Curious about something and wanted your thoughts on this since you came from a ML-350. There is no heated steering wheel option in the Q5 which I still find hard to believe Audi can't offer this option. Did your MB have heated steering wheel and if yes, did it bother you too much with one for the Q5?

What was the sales rep's explanation for the lack of the heated steering wheel option from Audi? Did it make you ever reconsider not buying the car? Questions as I ponder on trading my Infiniti FX35 for a Q5 diesel later.

Thanks!
For me, the lack of a heated steering wheel wasn't too much of an issue. I live in a more southerly area where winters aren't that bad. Of course, I wouldn't turn it away if offered, but just wasn't a high priority, and was never part of the discussion. My ML-350 did not have it either.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Plasticar
I've heard there is an aftermarket solution for the heated steering wheel. I think it's called gloves. You'll have to google it to find where you can buy. Good luck.
It was just a question and your "witty" comment did no good to add to the value of my question. I guess you knew that already.

No need to justify your reason. I will think of you when I turn the heated feature in my Q7 and S6 the next time I drive.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 02-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rohare
For me, the lack of a heated steering wheel wasn't too much of an issue. I live in a more southerly area where winters aren't that bad. Of course, I wouldn't turn it away if offered, but just wasn't a high priority, and was never part of the discussion. My ML-350 did not have it either.
Thank your for your thoughts on this.

My sales rep can't figure out why Audi can't make this happen in the Q5 and A4.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Thank your for your thoughts on this.

My sales rep can't figure out why Audi can't make this happen in the Q5 and A4.
I think they need to make this happen soon because many of the cheaper Asian CUVs offer this option now. Many also offer a power tailgate that opens AND closes via remote too. Perhaps we'll see it in the 2014 Q5.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rohare - how did you get the Chestnut Brown interior without the S-Line package? I would like the same color leather with dark wood trim but the Audi USA website forces the S-Line package with aluminum trim when selecting Chestnut Brown leather.

Are you in Canada?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle
Rohare - how did you get the Chestnut Brown interior without the S-Line package? I would like the same color leather with dark wood trim but the Audi USA website forces the S-Line package with aluminum trim when selecting Chestnut Brown leather.

Are you in Canada?
The configurator isn't the best source of info, it's usually got various issues. The dealer would be the best way of seeing if you can get a particular configuration.

Quick Reply: Back in an Audi in My New Q5!