Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Best aftermarket suspension parts company?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Best aftermarket suspension parts company?

Hi,
Our Q needs new front suspension.
I see that many compnies make suspension parts for our Q5, I wonder if anyone knows which company would be preferable.
The names I see are Meyle, Vaico, Fibi, TRW, Moog, Dorman.
I know Moog should be good but it is expensive.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

No Moog would not be good ! I would seek out Lemforder they're one of the OEM suppliers and they make good stuff.You definitely want to seek out suspension parts made in Europe.Sadly they make better stuff than us.Our bad !

Last edited by MurrayA4; 11-01-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
No Moog would not be good ! I would seek out Lemforder they're one of the OEM suppliers and they make good stuff.You definitely want to seek out suspension parts made in Europe.Sadly they better stuff than us.Our bad !
Hi Murray,
thanks a lot for your reply.
I remeber Moog being "good stuff" from working a s a delivery driver in an auto parts store many years ago.
Lemforder is also more expensive than others now I know why.

thanks
Old 11-01-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Not sure if it falls within your budget but Bilstein is a good brand. After a few weeks researching I've pulled the trigger and went for a Bilstein B12 Pro Kit (B8 + Eibach springs), you can find the set for around $750 online. I'll have them installed in 2 weeks.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah Moog still make some good stuff if you have a Cavalier or a PT Cruiser.All I can add is consider how far your car has run on the original suspension.If you want to repeat the experience then go for something like Lemforder, if you could care less because you're going to sell/trade then go for one of the inferior options.Generally you get what you pay for.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah Moog still make some good stuff if you have a Cavalier or a PT Cruiser.All I can add is consider how far your car has run on the original suspension.If you want to repeat the experience then go for something like Lemforder, if you could care less because you're going to sell/trade then go for one of the inferior options.Generally you get what you pay for.
I understand but I am hestitant to spend about $1500 on original parts because it is a 9 year old vehicle.
we are trying to decide if we want to keep it and invest over 2K$ in new suspension and tires or just trade it in.
If I can keep the cost of replacing suspension down we might keep the Q.
anyway, thanks a lot for your help.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

None. You get what you pay for, or said another way, cheap is cheap in more ways than one.

My bottom line recommendation and related experiences are to go dealer or OES, which is likely Lemforder or sometimes Delphi or TRW. If you go OES, you can often take out another 30% or more over even discounted web Audi parts dealer. Discounted dealer itself is often about 20% under Audi list.

Having been through a lot of Audis over the years, OE/OES is not forever either. But it can get you 70-100K type change cycles on the more likely to wear parts, instead of as little as a year or two and as short as 10-20K. To be specific that short life cycle was my experience with a "cheaper" kit from Meyle for a C5 A6. Junk, and it sort of ruined the car longer term absent just tearing it all out again. Karlyn is another likely junk provider from what I can tell.

$1500 in parts sounds like a lot, unless you mean most all of suspension and the struts too. For suspension, typical Audi are the upper control arms in front and the sway bar links--as the earlier to wear suspect areas. That is, go slower on the lower arms and tie rod ends unless an inspection really validates they have issues. Sometimes folks get lulled into doing those too as part of a "kit" where if changing some is good, changing it all must be better. Hence my A6 experience.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-02-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MP4.2+6.0 I share your assessment of the likely culprits.Just priced out the Lemforder parts at ECS and it comes out about $ 260.Job that can be done by a "reasonable" home mechanic as long as that top bolt comes out !

Last edited by MurrayA4; 11-04-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MP4.2+6.0 I share your assessment of the likely culprits.Just priced out the Lemforder parts at ECS and it comes out about $ 260.Job that can be done by a "reasonable" home mechanic as long as that top bolt comes out !
yes, for both upper arms EXCEPT that the part will be available in February 2019...
TRW or Meyle parts are available now, I am not sure about quality of other brands like Viaco or HT that are also available now.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow that's interesting, I hadn't picked up on the fact that ECS was listing parts for future sales/availability.That's kind of sad ! If you can't get the Lemforder parts then I would say go with Febi which is sort of Bilstein.I used to be a fan of Meyle parts but they've gone seriously downhill.I believe they source their parts from China now.Shame !

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket suspension parts company?