Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Best Front Brake pad options for '14 SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Front Brake pad options for '14 SQ5?

Hello fellow SQ5 owners,

I need your help. I need to replace my front brake pads (currently at 4mm) and rotors on my SQ5 and am unwilling to pay the $1200 quoted me by the dealer this week. What are my options? Should I upgrade to Brembos in the front with matching rotors? Please advise.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sistrunk05
Hello fellow SQ5 owners,

I need your help. I need to replace my front brake pads (currently at 4mm) and rotors on my SQ5 and am unwilling to pay the $1200 quoted me by the dealer this week. What are my options? Should I upgrade to Brembos in the front with matching rotors? Please advise.
Are you rotors shot? How many miles on them? At 4mm you have some time for pads.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Are you rotors shot? How many miles on them? At 4mm you have some time for pads.
22K on pads and 22K on rotors. Thus far the rotors don't seem like they are shot. I just had the free brake flush as part of the 45K service. I have some squeaking of the front brakes but it is not unbearable.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

What is the rotor thickness measurement (or wear amount)? 22K does not equal new rotors typically. An ethical dealer should give you the current rotor wear if they are suggesting new rotors. But, honestly I am not really following your post + reply either. How many miles are actually on the car? You say 22K on rotors and 45K service. Logically the rotors have been changed earlier (and someone likely got a story about need to do so back then), or your service was actually by time rather than (lower) miles. Brake fluid BTW is every two years, as opposed to a miles point. Tends to get done at the 25K (two year) and 45K (4 year) services. But the actual factor is as a 2014 you are basically on the second pass for fluid change.

FWIW discounted Audi parts all in via a web dealer are in the $600 range, even if you need rotors--if you can DIY, or have an indy do it. If you are thinking Brembo, you must be thinking DIY or indy already. Brembo is like 3x your highish dealer quote, and 5x the on line discounted genuine parts here. Doesn't really compute beyond the bling, an an SUV is not typically a track candidate either.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-29-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

As a point of reference, I have 116K miles on my 2014 SQ5...and have only replaced the front rotors 1x...around 55K.

I'm probably due to replace them again soon...I say probably b/c I just jinxed myself by mentioning it!

Seriously, I'll most likely due my brakes again at 120K, which will be the 2nd time.

Something doesn't sound right with your schedule.

Jason
New York
Old 08-30-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
What is the rotor thickness measurement (or wear amount)? 22K does not equal new rotors typically. An ethical dealer should give you the current rotor wear if they are suggesting new rotors. But, honestly I am not really following your post + reply either. How many miles are actually on the car? You say 22K on rotors and 45K service. Logically the rotors have been changed earlier (and someone likely got a story about need to do so back then), or your service was actually by time rather than (lower) miles. Brake fluid BTW is every two years, as opposed to a miles point. Tends to get done at the 25K (two year) and 45K (4 year) services. But the actual factor is as a 2014 you are basically on the second pass for fluid change.

FWIW discounted Audi parts all in via a web dealer are in the $600 range, even if you need rotors--if you can DIY, or have an indy do it. If you are thinking Brembo, you must be thinking DIY or indy already. Brembo is like 3x your highish dealer quote, and 5x the on line discounted genuine parts here. Doesn't really compute beyond the bling, an an SUV is not typically a track candidate either.
More info....i purchased my SQ5 with 22K miles in June of 2017 and the front brake pads and rotors were replaced when making it ready for sale. The rear brakes were replaced at 35K miles. The front brakes have been squeaking for the last few months but I knew my brake pad wear was still good so I've just been dealing with the periodic squeal sound when I break.
I'm seriously considering the DIY approach since I don't want to spend over a grand to replace them.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JasonJ
As a point of reference, I have 116K miles on my 2014 SQ5...and have only replaced the front rotors 1x...around 55K.

I'm probably due to replace them again soon...I say probably b/c I just jinxed myself by mentioning it!

Seriously, I'll most likely due my brakes again at 120K, which will be the 2nd time.

Something doesn't sound right with your schedule.

Jason
New York
Thanks for the feedback. After further research, it looks like I only need to replace my front brake pads. My rotors are fine though.😁
Old 08-30-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

The time is about 30 mins for front pads and rotors. My mechanic charges only pads.

I acquire the rotors online, sometimes with brake pads.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

You should measure your rotors for wear, but at 22K miles apparently on the rotors it is reasonable to assume they do not currently need replacing. My long time rule of thumb on Audis is two sets of pads between rotor changes, and still generally consistent with rotor wear spec's. Both given the modest miles on these rotors and that it sounds like they were already changed the last time, should be pads only.

On pads, you have a choice between dealer OE and a variety of aftermarket. If you still do dealer for the work (at a much lower price w/out rotors), the pads will obviously be theirs. The rotors are where they are essentially sole sourced with Audi for various reasons. OE pads have advantage of solid performance and relatively linear and progressive feel, and typical disadvantage of dust. You can also get OES from third parties, which variously can be companies like Ate, TRW, Brembo, Ferodo and others. Others will be lower dust. Pads are one of those religious debates among brands and owners.

Your noise is likely to be just the pads BTW. Variously, may need lubrication at the mechanical friction points, backing buffer material may have worn or shifted, piston is further out in the caliper and may be a bit more vulnerable to minor oscillation, etc.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You should measure your rotors for wear, but at 22K miles apparently on the rotors it is reasonable to assume they do not currently need replacing. My long time rule of thumb on Audis is two sets of pads between rotor changes, and still generally consistent with rotor wear spec's. Both given the modest miles on these rotors and that it sounds like they were already changed the last time, should be pads only.

On pads, you have a choice between dealer OE and a variety of aftermarket. If you still do dealer for the work (at a much lower price w/out rotors), the pads will obviously be theirs. The rotors are where they are essentially sole sourced with Audi for various reasons. OE pads have advantage of solid performance and relatively linear and progressive feel, and typical disadvantage of dust. You can also get OES from third parties, which variously can be companies like Ate, TRW, Brembo, Ferodo and others. Others will be lower dust. Pads are one of those religious debates among brands and owners.

Your noise is likely to be just the pads BTW. Variously, may need lubrication at the mechanical friction points, backing buffer material may have worn or shifted, piston is further out in the caliper and may be a bit more vulnerable to minor oscillation, etc.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!!

Quick Reply: Best Front Brake pad options for '14 SQ5?