Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

BF Goodrich KO2s on 2017 Q5

Old 06-07-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BF Goodrich KO2s on 2017 Q5

Hey guys, looking for thoughts on the look/fitment as I consider whether to go with a set of BFG KO2s on my 2017 Q5. I have a Premium Plus with 19" wheels, but just bought a set of used OEM 18x8" Audi wheels. I originally was looking into 18s with more rubber for pothole protection and winter shoes, but I love the look of KO2s so much in other applications and think they're great tires. I say say with confidence (after having driven on these tires through a few hundred miles of Baja a few years ago) that I will never have rim or tire damage from a pothole with those on my wheels.

Now, the questions:
  1. Will this look ok? One AudiWorld member has a Q7 with 17" KO2s and I think it looks sweet. Diameter-wise they should be similar, but I think they'll fill the wheel openings a little better with their extra width, plus super-aggressive sidewalls.
  2. KO2s don't come in 19 inch diameter, much less my OEM 235/55-19 size, which is why I decided to go with 18s. I believe I can go with 255/55-18 KO2s; they will obviously be 20mm wider, but the SQ5 has 255s, so I'm hoping these fit. I asked a Tire Rack sales guy, and he said, "It will firm the ride up a bit but I don't see any reason it wouldn't fit. I've used 255 with that height in both 19 and 20 inch wheels fitments. Give me a call if you want to discuss and get a set on order."
Thanks in advance for your help/advice! These are the 18" wheels I have.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you are on the right path in terms of pothole protection and curb protection with the + size width tires. You will take a hit in the loss of low profile appearance, but as you know this is all about compromises. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes I'm a huge fan of increasing sidewall height.I'm from an era when many high performance vehicles came with 55/60 profile tires and did just fine.Funny how back in the day bent/cracked rims were far less common than nowadays.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Yes I'm a huge fan of increasing sidewall height.I'm from an era when many high performance vehicles came with 55/60 profile tires and did just fine.Funny how back in the day bent/cracked rims were far less common than nowadays.
Yes, thank you! It’s not purely a functional upgrade. I plan to keep the 19s around for the summer as well, but potholes are a disaster around where I live. I have a 2013 S6 with 20x9 winter wheels and 255/35-20s and I’m getting whacked all winter by them despite my best efforts. I had a rim that bent so badly last winter that the bend was visible from the outside and I just replaced it rather than repairing it (also killed the tire).

I’m expecting a noise/performance/economy penalty from the big, heavy tires but also think it will look kinda cool.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Cayenne TDI for winters and mountain runs. Just for some contrast . . .

Old 06-09-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Cayenne TDI for winters and mountain runs. Just for some contrast . . .
Yep, that’s almost exactly what I’m trying to do! But the Cayenne is more capable off road than the Q5. I don’t expect to handle more than potholes and the occasional dirt road.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The K02 is overkill for that then. I would just go with a good H rated 255/55/18 maintaining your 29" tire height so no clearance issues and still have better road manners.

Firestone Destination LE? Pirelli Scorpion Asymetrico?

I ran Pirelli ATRs on my Touareg and just loved them. They were 255/55/19s and had amazing road manners for what was considered an ATR tire. But they are on their way out and few sizes still available.

But, those Nitto Terra Grapplers had great road manners too for an ATR and I've heard the G2s are even better. They are available in a 255/55/18 H rated too.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
The K02 is overkill for that then. I would just go with a good H rated 255/55/18 maintaining your 29" tire height so no clearance issues and still have better road manners.

Firestone Destination LE? Pirelli Scorpion Asymetrico?

I ran Pirelli ATRs on my Touareg and just loved them. They were 255/55/19s and had amazing road manners for what was considered an ATR tire. But they are on their way out and few sizes still available.

But, those Nitto Terra Grapplers had great road manners too for an ATR and I've heard the G2s are even better. They are available in a 255/55/18 H rated too.
Thanks for the comments! I looked into the other tire models you suggested. They all seem like good tires, but just aren't the more aggressive look I'm after. My father in law and my brother both had KO2s on their Tundra and Avalanche, respectively, and loved them. They also last forever.

You're definitely right about overkill with those tires; the load factor is very high for a Q5 and I expect a ride quality penalty. But having driven a few hundred miles on them in a Baja Challenge buggy over nasty, nasty terrain (albeit a lighter vehicle than a Q5) and not seeing a single flat, I'm ready to go ahead with the BFG KO2. Happy father's day to me.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got my tires yesterday and had them mounted today. The moment of truth comes later this week when I bolt them onto the vehicle. I'm cautiously optimistic. As an aside, it's really freaking difficult to fit four wheels and four big tires into a Q5, even with the back seats folded!
The following users liked this post:
TrojanPony (02-26-2021)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

The project is complete! I mounted the tires, drove it around the block (got up to about 55), checked for rubbing/clearance issues (there were none at all), then removed them and reinstalled the stock wheels/tires for the rest of the summer. Below are a few pics I shot.

On the road, it seemed to accelerate similarly to before. There's definitely quite a bit more road noise, which I expected. It also feels like there's more drag from the tires - as if the Q5 doesn't want to coast as much as it does with regular tires. Overall I'm happy with the choice. Now I just need to rig up a tire storage solution for my 10 extra tires and wheels. The shed is getting a little cramped!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BF Goodrich KO2s on 2017 Q5