Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

BF Goodrich KO2s on 2017 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
It will depend on width. I just have 4 on mine. Also, the wider you extend it, the more it will droop in the middle [one of the short comings]. But, trying to remember as I've had them up for years, I "think" I put the risers on 48" centers [3 16s"] so it was more a function of being able to fit 5 wheels/tires between the 48" centers? Doubtful. Now, there are those grab the backside of the drywall hanger devices but I don't think I'd trust my set of wheels to those. You'd want them solid in studs.
Thanks for the insights! I'd be hanging it in my shed, which doesn't have drywall, but does have studs (not sure of the centers offhand). I'll have to measure that, and the wheel width. Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
The OEM tire on 19" OEM wheel was 235/55-19. Many on this forum have gone plus size replacing with Continental DWS 06 tire in 255/50-19. More sidewall for curb protection, and softer ride. Tire diameter is almost the same.
Thanks. That addresses my concerns about 39mm offset rubbing with 255s. I will likely mount the K02s on the OZ Superturismo GT in black. 18x8 with 35mm offset will be no problem.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&autoMake =Audi&autoModel=Q5+3.0+TDI&autoYear=2016&autoModCl ar=Prestige&initialPartNumber=W01669202B&i1_Qty=4& wheelMake=O.Z.&wheelModel=Superturismo+GT&wheelFin ish=Black+Painted&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&showRe ar=no&packageFlow=false
Old 08-01-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Got my K02's

Went and did it. Mounted 255/55r18 K02's on OZ Superturismo GT's.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:20 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There's something fundamentally wrong when I look at these photos. To each his own, sorry.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
There's something fundamentally wrong when I look at these photos. To each his own, sorry.
It would be really interesting is they were on 10"+ wheels with 25mm offset and spacers. It would look very 4x4 truck offroad look. I wouldn't do it, but it would be nice to see someone do it.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 69Firebird400
The project is complete! I mounted the tires, drove it around the block (got up to about 55), checked for rubbing/clearance issues (there were none at all), then removed them and reinstalled the stock wheels/tires for the rest of the summer. Below are a few pics I shot.

On the road, it seemed to accelerate similarly to before. There's definitely quite a bit more road noise, which I expected. It also feels like there's more drag from the tires - as if the Q5 doesn't want to coast as much as it does with regular tires. Overall I'm happy with the choice. Now I just need to rig up a tire storage solution for my 10 extra tires and wheels. The shed is getting a little cramped!

Just installed mine. Curious, what pressure are you running with the K02? TireRack sent mine inflated almost to max pressure for max load. 60psi. That was definitely too much for the Q5 GAWR. Handling was definitely squirrely at that pressure. My DWS06 were pressurized to 33psi. Based on my own calculation for the load index for the K02 and Q5 GAWR, the pressure should be about 37psi. I am running 40psi. Handling is quite good at that pressure.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
It would be really interesting is they were on 10"+ wheels with 25mm offset and spacers. It would look very 4x4 truck offroad look. I wouldn't do it, but it would be nice to see someone do it.
Ha ha. No 10in wheels for me, but I am thinking about a 15mm/20mm spacer kit to flush the wheels.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

For winter's in Idaho, and the back roads around here, these would be perfect.

Nice enough on the highway, but able to handle any dirt/fire road use that I do in the summers. Should have more sipes for really good winter traction. (Easy to solve locally, just have them siped down the middle of the tread pattern, and they will be much better on ice and packed snow.)

Nice thread.

BTW, I have not tried them yet, but have the Conti Snow tires from last season that I used on my 2001 S8 on the stock "wagon cart" wheels, they were AWESOME on snow and ice, but have a much less "aggressive" looking tread design. I've had some excellent results from both the Conti and Blizzak snow tires on my Audi's, they are pretty much unstoppable if you don't try and push through 4' high snow banks, and get high centered.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Have 2016 Q5 Pre Pls; w/235/60/18. Going to put on Conti LX20 255/55/18. Had the LX20 on previous MB ML. Very good results. Continental will likely have a promo for Labor Day. I feel that the LX20 is a good compromise tire for a heavy SUV. Still a good ride.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CompositesGuy
Just installed mine. Curious, what pressure are you running with the K02? TireRack sent mine inflated almost to max pressure for max load. 60psi. That was definitely too much for the Q5 GAWR. Handling was definitely squirrely at that pressure. My DWS06 were pressurized to 33psi. Based on my own calculation for the load index for the K02 and Q5 GAWR, the pressure should be about 37psi. I am running
40psi. Handling is quite good at that pressure.
Looks great!

As to the tire pressure, good question; to be honest, I didn't check the pressure before installing them because I only drove it about one mile round trip once I mounted them before I removed them and put the 19" all seasons back on. As I approach 30,000 miles, the all-seasons are nearing the end of their life, and I'll put the KO2s on for the winter and possibly longer sometime this fall. I think I'll probably try 40 psi as well, knowing I'll lose a few pounds of air as the weather gets colder.

Quick Reply: BF Goodrich KO2s on 2017 Q5