Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Bikes on roof vs. on hitch in back?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I have used both and much prefer the hitch mount rack.

I banged and scratched my MDX more times than I wish lifting bikes onto the roof. I also hit a low hanging sign destroying a rack and a wheel on the bike. I always had to put a large object in the garage to remind me not to pull in. The gas mileage hit was also very noticeable with the increased drag.

With the Q7, I switched to hitch mount. So much easier getting them on and off, and with a swing away, still have access to the rear gate. I notice no mileage hit. With the use of bungee straps, the bikes do not getting anywhere close to scratching the back of the Q.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hitch mount is the way to go. Get the hitch at time of order as a port installed option to save a lot of money in labor. Thule rack works great. Only problem is you can't open hatch with rack in place. There isn't enough clearance.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by William B. Kayen
Hitch mount is the way to go. Get the hitch at time of order as a port installed option to save a lot of money in labor. Thule rack works great. Only problem is you can't open hatch with rack in place. There isn't enough clearance.
Oh, it will certainly open...until it hits the rack. BONK! I've done it several times and no damage yet. Lucky me.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is primarily for road bikes. I've used hitch and roof racks for 20 years. If I had a 60 pound d/h bike that was always muddy I'd use a hitch mount tray rack but I don't. For me the roof rack is easier to use, less damaging to my bikes and I can leave the rack in place and still fit into the garage. The biggest downside I can see is getting charged for over-height on the ferries.

Anyone ever seen in person the Audi fork-mount holders for their roof rack though?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The biggest drawback of roof mount, is if you have a garage and forgetting to remove your bike before going into the garage. too many horror stories of people forgetting their bike on the roof going into the garage on bike forums.

I installed a hitch rack for my bike, totally worth it, except it somehow altered my muffler sound, made it slightly louder at highway cruising speed(70M/H). You can buy hitch from online stores for about $210, and have it installed at your local garages for $100~150. I got a Drawtite, everything installed for $400.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wclepse
I much prefer the hitch mounted. I have both for my Subie and find the roof rack to be difficult to get the bikes onto after a hard day riding or if I wreck. Also I find that if I do XC or DH there is too much crap that drops ontop off the car. Not to mention the other benefits like additional protection of your rigs, and if you have a garage you don't have to worry about slamming them into it. I am currently using a Saris Ride On rack that only touches the wheels and fits everything from road bikes to DH bikes.
Completely second this quote. Mud falling off is a significant issue if you're mountain biking and I don't want it falling on the roof of my vehicle. Access is another thing and not having to worry about driving your bikes into the wall above the garage door.

if you get a good tray rack to mount in your hitch, you don't have to worry about the bikes swinging into the back of your car.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hitch Hitch Hitch. I've watched roof mounted bikes and unfolded racks try to fit through the garage door. You only need to forget once.