Block Heater Q5 - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums



Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Block Heater Q5

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABS4 View Post
If you don't know what it is, you live somewhere warm.




It's a heating element which is installed in the water jacket of the engine. "Block" refers to the engine block.
amkmeco90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABS4 View Post
If you don't know what it is, you live somewhere warm.
It's a heating element which is installed in the water jacket of the engine. "Block" refers to the engine block.
I live where the winter temperature is -15 and I've never heard of something like
Audi, BMW and Mercedes do not have anything similar

This does not exist even in Finland and Sweden, which have cold winters
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
NABS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
I live where the winter temperature is -15 and I've never heard of something like
Audi, BMW and Mercedes do not have anything similar

This does not exist even in Finland and Sweden, which have cold winters
My father has been driving Volvos since 1967 and they have come standard on them since then, when destined for certain parts of Canada. Since synthetic oil is now widely used, most Euro manufacturers haven't been making them available. Most NA/Japanese manufacturers factory install block heaters (location dependent) and they've be common here for the last 50+ years. Just because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
NABS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABS4 View Post
My father has been driving Volvos since 1967 and they have come standard on them since then, when destined for certain parts of Canada. Since synthetic oil is now widely used, most Euro manufacturers haven't been making them available. Most NA/Japanese manufacturers factory install block heaters (location dependent) and they've be common here for the last 50+ years. Just because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
I did not written nowhere that there are not but only that I have not heard of this
Means what you have written is not true If you do not know what it is, you live somewhere warm.

Last edited by spijun; 11-22-2012 at 01:07 PM.
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
NABS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
I did not written nowhere that there are not but only that I have not heard of this
Means what you have written is not true If you do not know what it is, you live somewhere warm.
In North America, if you live somewhere cold, you know what a block heater is. I guess it depends on your definition of "cold". Better?
NABS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABS4 View Post
In North America, if you live somewhere cold, you know what a block heater is. I guess it depends on your definition of "cold". Better?
Do not be nervous.
It's cold in Europe and the temperature can be -25C (Celsius) =-13F (Fahrenheit)
Enjoy life
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
I live where the winter temperature is -15 and I've never heard of something like
Audi, BMW and Mercedes do not have anything similar

This does not exist even in Finland and Sweden, which have cold winters
So according to NABS4, we should be neighbors
amkmeco90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkmeco90 View Post
So according to NABS4, we should be neighbors
World is relatively small, who knows.
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaforest View Post
Looking to buy a block heater for my Q5, anyone knows where to buy ? also an air deflector for hood.
I will avoid the bickering and just give you a straight forward answer. If you live in North America there is a company called Wolverine that makes great oil pan heaters at great prices. Here is their website http://www.wolverineheater.com/default.asp
Our service manager installed one on his TDI Jetta on his lunch break and has been using it for two winters with zero complaints. Hope this helps. Stay warm out there!
Jake-AudiUSAParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
AudiWorld Member
 
Wunsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Regina, SK (Canada)
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
I live where the winter temperature is -15 and I've never heard of something like
Yes, that's somewhere warm . I typically don't worry about it until my car is going to be parked for more than a couple hours in temperatures below -20C.

That said, when I expressed surprise to the dealer that my Q5 didn't come equipped with a pan heater, they said they don't do them on any models with the longitudinal 2.0T engine. Those of you who had a dealer install a pan heater, is it an Audi part, or an aftermarket heater?
Wunsch is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fault Codes Kerry G Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) 3 06-07-2016 02:55 AM
A6 C6 3.2 engine removal for timing chains uble1234 A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion 3 04-17-2016 03:57 AM
My Build (that I've been promising) T1no33 Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 MKII 14 03-02-2016 04:06 AM
engine block drain plug poi5on A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion 9 10-07-2015 08:17 AM
Car Completely Dead: No Power gakor A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion 1 09-27-2015 02:10 PM


Tags
2011, arm, audi, block, blockheater, engine, heater, location, pan, powered, premiumblock, q5, q7, vad, vbulletin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:44 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send