Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Bluetooth module location

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

iggy-
Oh. I've also got one of those BT/AMI plug-in things, I usually just listen to a USB stick instead because I had tried several, kept the one that worked best, but they all seemed quirky.
On the other hand, I can lend you a nice stun gun. Coupla seconds of that can put pretty much any annoying electrical device to sleep forever. I supposed you'd still have to find the factory BT module for that to work.(G)
If it is talking in its sleep and disturbing everything else...yeah, that's a bigger problem.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

After a couple of days at the Indy audio shop recommended by my mechanic, they got to the bottom of this. Module got busted by water that somehow got into the cabin (see pictures below).

Now, the question is, could this water have been there for quite a while? I ask because when I bought the car 9 months ago I had the AC serviced and cabin filters changed because of bad odor, since then I haven't suffered from any of the usual symptoms of clogged drains, I use the AC on a daily basis and I always see a nice puddle of fresh water when I park after driving for a while. I'll have them check the drains just in case, or could water come from other sources?
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

That module is what? The BT/telecom module that is supposed to be in the floor under the passenger seat?

If so, I would have expected a gasketed cover to prevent water from wet boots, umbrellas, etc. being able to reach it. And in an ideal world some way for it to drain any water as well, but that's asking a lot.

Water can be a real sneak about traveling. VWG had one recall where IIRC engine coolant was sneaking past a temperature sensor, running internally in a harness wire jacket all the way to the rear, and being found in the TAIL lights. The phrase "Well I'll be a blue baboon" comes to mind.

It is possible there was water in the cabin, and possible the seller knew about this. In the best case, this was just a fluke. In the worst, it would mean there had been some flood damage, and that only shows up months and months later--in a great number of electrical systems. What do you know about the car's history, and where it came from?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
That module is what? The BT/telecom module that is supposed to be in the floor under the passenger seat?

If so, I would have expected a gasketed cover to prevent water from wet boots, umbrellas, etc. being able to reach it. And in an ideal world some way for it to drain any water as well, but that's asking a lot.

Water can be a real sneak about traveling. VWG had one recall where IIRC engine coolant was sneaking past a temperature sensor, running internally in a harness wire jacket all the way to the rear, and being found in the TAIL lights. The phrase "Well I'll be a blue baboon" comes to mind.

It is possible there was water in the cabin, and possible the seller knew about this. In the best case, this was just a fluke. In the worst, it would mean there had been some flood damage, and that only shows up months and months later--in a great number of electrical systems. What do you know about the car's history, and where it came from?
The guy from the repair shop says that module was inside a plastic box, he only found that little water shown in the pictures, he suspects that at some point drains were clogged and water sneaked into that place, drains were cleaned but they didn't take care of the aftermath, the rest of the floor is dry. He's cleaning drains again with compressed air. Car was bought privately but with a full service history at an Audi dealership, no mention to water damage nor electric failures as far as I see in the vehicle history, just battery replaced twice, new headlight and new reverse light.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Updates:

- Bluetooth module location for a 2009 Q5 2.0T is under the passenger seat's carpet (right hand side of the vehicle)
- AC drains were clogged (NOT TRUE, see last post!) on the passenger side, that caused water to get into passenger side of the vehicle ruining the bluetooth module. Now I need to remove the whole carpet and dry it before installing the new bluetooth module.
- I've been running the car with the bluetooth module removed and so far no glitches, I'm having seconds thoughts on installing a new part, I might leave it as it is now and install an aftermarket Android unit.
- Water damage was very little as there's no sign of rust other than this affected module, which btw, is the only electric part lying on the floor, all other electronics are on the bottom of the passenger seat. There's no bad odor nor signs of rotten stuff, so hopefully it's just a matter of drying the carpet and floor and call it a fix.

Last edited by uncleiggy; 12-18-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: updating info
Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Audi sells 2 types of Bluetooth modules. The other one is different than the OEM and has an external monitor. Priced same as my fiscon basic plus Bluetooth but is made by Audi. That is the one Audi wanted to install on my vehicle. I will try to find info if you wish.

I chose fiscon because of the external monitor but I think the Audis maybe better because it has more functions.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Audi sells 2 types of Bluetooth modules. The other one is different than the OEM and has an external monitor. Priced same as my fiscon basic plus Bluetooth but is made by Audi. That is the one Audi wanted to install on my vehicle. I will try to find info if you wish.

I chose fiscon because of the external monitor but I think the Audis maybe better because it has more functions.

Good luck.
Thanks, no need to search, I'm probably getting a used part coming from a totaled A4 with 15K miles, they even give me a 1 year warranty, they are asking $250, Audi sells it of ~ $850.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Thanks, no need to search, I'm probably getting a used part coming from a totaled A4 with 15K miles, they even give me a 1 year warranty, they are asking $250, Audi sells it of ~ $850.

I managed to find the chinese bluetooth hands free telephone (It is half priced to what I paid for the Fiscon/Kufatec basic plus, which was really easy to install, though I prefer to cut the power wire and add an external fuse wire because it gets power from another device, probably from radio if I remember well).
Chinese Bluetooth

Also the audi second type of bluetooth kit is 8J0051433. I did not go for it because it has the external monitor, a bracket and so on.
Audi Second Type of Bluetooth Kit.

If you go for a navi type, make sure you dont loose access to Audi Car Display Settings (in addition aux etc).

For Navi since I have all other technologies (bluetooth, back up camera interface, aux bluetooth a2DP stereo music) I only use my 7 inch tablet. I was driving 3 weeks in Athens and Peloponnese with this tablet, using google maps, but unfortunately with my fathers car.

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-17-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
I managed to find the chinese bluetooth hands free telephone (It is half priced to what I paid for the Fiscon/Kufatec basic plus, which was really easy to install, though I prefer to cut the power wire and add an external fuse wire because it gets power from another device, probably from radio if I remember well).
Chinese Bluetooth

Also the audi second type of bluetooth kit is 8J0051433. I did not go for it because it has the external monitor, a bracket and so on.
Audi Second Type of Bluetooth Kit.

If you go for a navi type, make sure you dont loose access to Audi Car Display Settings (in addition aux etc).

For Navi since I have all other technologies (bluetooth, back up camera interface, aux bluetooth a2DP stereo music) I only use my 7 inch tablet. I was driving 3 weeks in Athens and Peloponnese with this tablet, using google maps, but unfortunately with my fathers car.
Thanks for your feedback! The main reason to fix the bluetooth issue is because it was causing all sort of problems and interferences with the (non MMI Symphony) audio system. Now that the main cause was found and the module removed my radio seems to be working flawlessly but as I like to keep my cars in good shape, it's very much likely that I will replace the faulty part and restore the factory bluetooth functionality.

Regarding navigation, I use my phone and the Waze app which is very good, it requires internet connection but that's not a problem where I live, most places, even rural areas have 3G connectivity at least and LTE is widely available. Installing an aftermarket Android unit is more like a novelty than an actual need. I've tried a few cars with Android Auto and Apple Car Play and I'm totally sold, I like those technologies.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Agreed. I would do the same in order o sort out the water problem first. It is a difficult choice.

I use offline maps from google play. Dont need 3G/4G access. Just save offline map and enable location/GPS.

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-18-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth module location