AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Bosch Under Investigation for its Role in VW Scandal (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/bosch-under-investigation-its-role-vw-scandal-2893448/)

Deckardk 12-15-2015 02:37 PM

Bosch Under Investigation for its Role in VW Scandal

And so it widens yet further.

Supplier Bosch Under Investigation for Role in VW Scandal

uberwgn 12-15-2015 02:53 PM

Yeah, someone here told me that Bosch would never be involved in something like this ;)

Deckardk 12-15-2015 03:13 PM

Will be very interesting to see how this dog will ultimately hunt, given that Bosch probably just made something they were told to (and specced by) VW, and likely Bosch never actually installed it.

rdA4WtQ5 12-15-2015 03:16 PM

Bosch created the software so they are involved. They also produced emails early on to high levels of VW warning not to use this software outside of the laboratory when they learned it was out on the street.

Deckardk 12-15-2015 03:25 PM

^ Perhaps a get out of jail free card? "Here, have this illegal cheat but use at your own risk..."

Like I said, it will be interesting to see where the liability falls.

uberwgn 12-15-2015 03:29 PM

I think the story says Bosch created the cheat profile, but also warned WVAG about never putting it into production units ;)

motoguy128 12-16-2015 05:32 AM

That's almost like planning a bank robbery for someone and being paid for it, but they just telling them not to rob the bank. When they do rob it and they are finally caught, you just say, well, I warned them.

awryexperiment 12-16-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by motoguy128 (Post 24754402)
That's almost like planning a bank robbery for someone and being paid for it, but they just telling them not to rob the bank. When they do rob it and they are finally caught, you just say, well, I warned them.

It's more like making and selling a gun and then being tried for murder when some baddie kills someone with it. It just doesn't make sense.

Redd 12-16-2015 10:07 AM

Bosch's situation and liabilities would be different. They have no responsibility to the regulators, in the sense that they don't build any automobiles, so rules applying to automakers aren't their concern.

And, you can bet there are confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements with everyone they serve, legally binding them NOT to tell anyone anything about the software, except their client.

Anything beyond that would get into the morass of "whistleblower" laws. And breaking a non-disclosure agreement is pretty much toxic for any business, unless they're stopping literal murders.

Investigating Bosch makes good sense, in the fact that any records Bosch has, will go toward proving what VW knew and when they knew it.

ELEVENS 12-16-2015 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by awryexperiment (Post 24754493)
It's more like making and selling a gun and then being tried for murder when some baddie kills someone with it. It just doesn't make sense.

I absolutely agree it makes no sense, but that hasn't stopped lawsuits against gun manufacturers :mad: