Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake Pads and Rotors worn out in under 14,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads and Rotors worn out in under 14,000 miles

My car is 3 years old and very lightly drive. Car has only 14,000 miles. Both Brakepad and Brake light are ON. Dealer said to replace brake pads and Rotors.
and says it is not covered under warranty. Asking $1400 to replace just front pads and rotors. It is strange that under 14k miles those were worn out.
I have driven cars earlier for 60-70k miles without replacing. Any suggestions on this issue?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kpkumar211
My car is 3 years old and very lightly drive. Car has only 14,000 miles. Both Brakepad and Brake light are ON. Dealer said to replace brake pads and Rotors.
and says it is not covered under warranty. Asking $1400 to replace just front pads and rotors. It is strange that under 14k miles those were worn out.
I have driven cars earlier for 60-70k miles without replacing. Any suggestions on this issue?
Well if they need to be replaced I would seek out an independent shop to do it for you to save some money. Alternatively you can change them yourself.

As for why you need new pads and rotors at 14,000 miles I am not sure. did they give you any pad or rotor thicknesses?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

$1,400 for fronts is insane. Go to an independent shop. I was quoted $1,700 for all fours on my SQ5 and I did it myself for significantly less.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by billm0066
$1,400 for fronts is insane. Go to an independent shop. I was quoted $1,700 for all fours on my SQ5 and I did it myself for significantly less.
Mine is 2015 SQ5 3T. Which dealer? do you have any recommendations in Massachusetts?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
Well if they need to be replaced I would seek out an independent shop to do it for you to save some money. Alternatively you can change them yourself.

As for why you need new pads and rotors at 14,000 miles I am not sure. did they give you any pad or rotor thicknesses?
He said they are worn out at 3mm
Old 07-06-2018, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

You should get the mm on each of the wheels, inner and outer. If it is only one wheel, its a brake defect. If the wear is similar on each axle, then its your driving. Low miles, stop and go driving will wear them out.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Low miles, stop and go driving will wear them out. "
Dennis, I used to routinely put half of my brake time on in NYC traffic and still got 50,000+ miles on the pads with no problem. The rotors were still perfectly good when last seen at over 110k.
So if an Audi is built THAT lightly...Hey, the Q5 is technically a light not, not a race car. I knew a guy who swore his brakes were defective, it couldn't be him, but every time he drove away you could see the brake lights were on, his foot as on the brake. So in all fairness, yes, it certainly can be pilot error, but...

Three years old, that little mileage, I'd suggest the OP contact AoA and politely suggest they get someone out to the dealership to re-examine the car for something that is very wrong in the brake system. If the ABS/ESC was lightly applying the brakes "all" the time for traction control, that's all it would take to wear them all out--and the driver would have no idea what was wrong. Odds of a vehicle brake system (multiple systems) defect? Sound a lot better than a driver doing something wrong, when they've never had this problem before. That points to the Audi.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kpkumar211
Mine is 2015 SQ5 3T. Which dealer? do you have any recommendations in Massachusetts?
It was an independent shop that had that price. I did it myself.

Last edited by billm0066; 07-06-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
"Low miles, stop and go driving will wear them out. "
Dennis, I used to routinely put half of my brake time on in NYC traffic and still got 50,000+ miles on the pads with no problem. The rotors were still perfectly good when last seen at over 110k.
So if an Audi is built THAT lightly...Hey, the Q5 is technically a light not, not a race car. I knew a guy who swore his brakes were defective, it couldn't be him, but every time he drove away you could see the brake lights were on, his foot as on the brake. So in all fairness, yes, it certainly can be pilot error, but...

Three years old, that little mileage, I'd suggest the OP contact AoA and politely suggest they get someone out to the dealership to re-examine the car for something that is very wrong in the brake system. If the ABS/ESC was lightly applying the brakes "all" the time for traction control, that's all it would take to wear them all out--and the driver would have no idea what was wrong. Odds of a vehicle brake system (multiple systems) defect? Sound a lot better than a driver doing something wrong, when they've never had this problem before. That points to the Audi.
I agree. something is definitely wrong with my brakes. What is AoA ? how to contact them ?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I contacted Audi Customer Experience center. They opened up a case. The manager called today and said that Brakes and Rotors are not covered under warranty. 1year or 12k miles is the coverage. My car is 14k miles and he is not ready to accept that brakes had some defect/issue. They simply declined to offer any assistance. Taking the car to another dealer tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads and Rotors worn out in under 14,000 miles