Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake Pads and Rotors worn out in under 14,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

kpkumar211 Yeah that stinks.You need to escalate this with Aoa. If you get nowhere bump it up to a "supervisor" But first get a second opinion from a trusted second source.Insist on getting a printout with the disc thicknesses all around and same for the pads.Come back here with those and you'll some good opinions.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
kpkumar211 Yeah that stinks.You need to escalate this with Aoa. If you get nowhere bump it up to a "supervisor" But first get a second opinion from a trusted second source.Insist on getting a printout with the disc thicknesses all around and same for the pads.Come back here with those and you'll some good opinions.
I took it another dealer. He said Front pads are at 3mm and rear ones at 8mm. He said it is uniform on the front. He says it is normal for SQ5. He did not answer me why front are worn so quick and not the rear ones. He gave a quote of $950 plus taxes to change front pads and rotors.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by kpkumar211
I took it another dealer. He said Front pads are at 3mm and rear ones at 8mm. He said it is uniform on the front. He says it is normal for SQ5. He did not answer me why front are worn so quick and not the rear ones. He gave a quote of $950 plus taxes to change front pads and rotors.
Rotors normally last about 50K miles. Did they give you the rotor thickness measurements?

If your rotors are good, any good independent shop can do the fronts with ease at a low cost. For the rears, you need to retract the rear parking brakes using VCDS, Clarista, etc. If you don't do this properly you can ruin the rear brake system motors, controller, etc.($$$$). Not every shop knows this.

DIY'ers, can change front pads, without rotor change, for about $100-125.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Rotors normally last about 50K miles. Did they give you the rotor thickness measurements?
Very much true! I just replaced my front discs (and pads) at 83K km (50K miles), rotors were 1mm thick. I bought the car used with 77K km, according to service history this is the 3rd pair of pads so each pair of front pads lasted around 40K km (26K miles).

EDIT: Factory front pads lasted 48K km, second set 35K km, not sure if this is related to rotor thickness decreasing over time, different pad compounds or a change in driving habits.

Last edited by uncleiggy; 07-10-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Adding more information on pads duration
Old 07-10-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kpkumar211
I too would like to know what is the rotor thickness for your fronts. as we now have established that your rears are good for awhile yet. As Bob said just replacing the front pads is easy and can be done for under 150$ with few tools yourself. We have come along was from your first quote nearing the 2,000$ mark.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar Situation

I had similar situation, my 2012 Q5 (with total mileage 15K miles, yes it is ridiculously low for 6 years) just had front rotors and pads replaced for around $1400.
I was shocked when I was informed the need to replacement.... could not believe it so took a look myself, it was almost metal to metal between rotors and pads and the rotors already had a sharp blade/edge developed.
Most of my mileages are from local driving, which means a lot of stop and go.....which might explain my case. But I am concerned about a the potential case of ABS was slightly on all the time, how do I check it?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jpstory
I had similar situation, my 2012 Q5 (with total mileage 15K miles, yes it is ridiculously low for 6 years) just had front rotors and pads replaced for around $1400.
I was shocked when I was informed the need to replacement.... could not believe it so took a look myself, it was almost metal to metal between rotors and pads and the rotors already had a sharp blade/edge developed.
Most of my mileages are from local driving, which means a lot of stop and go.....which might explain my case. But I am concerned about a the potential case of ABS was slightly on all the time, how do I check it?
What makes you think that the ABS was/is slightly on all the time?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah ABS on other than when braking is a highly unlikely scenario.I suspect that someone is having difficulty reading their thickness micrometer.For reference my 14Tdi (which I believe has similar brake dimensions ?) has 210k kms/ 130k mls.and is on it's original rotors.They're starting to show a small hint of warpage so come spring I'll replace with Zimmerman's.I often tow a 3700 lb.trailer.Pads were changed at 100k kms.Replaced with Textars - better than the OEM Brembos by a little bit.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2015 TDI still has the original front pads with 96K miles at 6/32". New is 10/32" I believe.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Just had my MY14 Q5 in for it's 65k mile check-up. Brakes are at 8mm. The only issue I've ever had with them is that "wonderful" and "lovely" brake squeal that Audi does so well with the OEM brake pads.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads and Rotors worn out in under 14,000 miles