Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brakes automatically applied with cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brakes automatically applied with cruise control?

Here's one that I just learned: When descending a steep hill with cruise control on, the car is automatically turning on the brake lights. Does the car use the braking system to slow the vehicle? I've noticed the same thing when engaging cruise control that was previously set for a slower speed. The car REALLY slows quickly... not cool for trailing tailgaters. I'm not really sure if I like the car applying brakes without my permission. What do you folks think?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yes, the brakes are applied and the brake lights do come on. I really dis-like that feature. I end up turning off the cruise control when I approach a long downhill section.

It seems like the cruise control system tries to maintain a +/- 2km window.

Also, if you have cruise engaged, try holding DOWN the cruise stalk . . . the car will brake aggressively. Use caution if you have someone behind.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in general i really like Audi's implementation on cruise control. Very precise and responsive. I see your point driving 75mph and resuming cruise control that was set to 35mph could be a unwanted surprise. But to somewhat counter that they have the last set cruise speed displayed on the screen for you. One more thing to learn and remember i guess
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Also, if you have cruise engaged, try holding DOWN the cruise stalk . . . the car will brake aggressively. Use caution if you have someone behind.
I did that on the parkway. I thought it would just coast down to speed and then I could let go to set a lower speed like all other speed controls that I had ever used.(This is my first Aud/Europeon vehicle) Boy was I surprised, when the Q felt like it was making an emergency stop. I will not be doing that again! My stone-headed Beagle made freinds with the back of the passengers seat. It is much safer and smoother to modulate the speed with the brake and then reset the cruise.

Last edited by johncaravello; 03-21-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

John, same here. I don't recall owning any other marque that would apply the brakes if the cruise control stalk was held down...it typically acted like the COAST function found on a GM car.

I'm pretty sure our recent Benzes would apply the brakes and downshift if you were on a steep hill, gaining speed, but not as intrusively as the Audis are doing it.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually like this feature; living in the Lake Tahoe area. We have very zealous CHP officer's who position themselves on the downhill segments, just waiting for speeders.

Our previous Benzie ML350 had this feature, but did not light up the brake-lights unless it was really applying force. The wife's Q5 seems to light up at any level of braking.

We've had an Escalade, Denali and now I have a Range Rover, and none has any downhill control. I wish it did.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted about this a year or so ago when I noticed the brake lights comng on while on cruise. Nobody then seemed to think that it happened. Good to see I'm not the only one that noticed this. I personally don't like it.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good feature and I have learned that if you apply a little gas going down hills it overrides the system and will not break.

My first surprise was when passing someone and once I got back into my lane and left off the gas the car went into a hard break to get back to the set speed. I'm not one to p*ssyfoot'n around when passing. I give gas and get around then. So I'm usually up to 20 over during passing.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I figured out this whole braking thing last night. I can see the vehicle's brake lights reflected onto the backside of my trailer. This "feature" sucks!

Last edited by ELEVENS; 03-21-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lazydog
My first surprise was when passing someone and once I got back into my lane and left off the gas the car went into a hard break to get back to the set speed.
Same here. I've noticed this, too. Makes you look like an *** when you pass, move in front of someone and start braking when you move back to the other lane. What kind of message does that send to nearby motorists

Quick Reply: Brakes automatically applied with cruise control?