Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brakes replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
That is quite a lot left. How many miles did you put on them?
Got it a year ago and have put about 3500 on them. Since it was a 2014 they must have put brakes on it at some time. It was a lease return.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

shokhead Shame on you using those metric numbers, sounds like Communism to me ! You're good down to 3 mm and if wear is even then down to 2.The assumption is that you don't want to chew into your rotors cause they're good for 2 pad changes at least under "normal" conditions.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool, thanks!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
i got 7mm rear and 6mm front left. I'm a hard braker.How many miles might be left?
If I remember well the limit is 4mm for the pads.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Just had my front brakes and rotors replaced and the first impression is that they feel spongy and with a fair amount of travel. I guess I’ll have to bed them in before having them purged right? Mechanic said it’s normal and that I’ll start to feel them better after a few hundred miles.

Is there a recommended bed in procedure for original Audi brakes?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Bed-in procedure is similar for most pads.Try this taken from a "Porterfield" website:

From a speed of about 60mph, gently apply the brakes to slow the car down to about 45mph, then accelerate back up to 60mph and repeat. Do this about four or five times to bring the brakes up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make a series of eight near-stops from 60 to about 10 mph. Do it HARD by pressing on the brakes firmly, just shy of locking the wheels or engaging ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! (Note: With less aggressive street pads and/or stock brake calipers, you may need to do this fewer times. If your pedal gets soft or you feel the brakes going away, then you've done enough. Proceed to the next step.)

During this process, you must not come to a complete stop because you will transfer (imprint) pad material onto the hot rotors, which can lead to vibration, uneven braking, and could even ruin the rotors.

Depending on the pads you are using, the brakes may begin to fade slightly after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A bad smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.

After the 8th near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and drive around for as long as possible without using the brakes. The brakes will need at least 10 minutes to cool down. Obviously, it's OK to use the brakes to avoid an accident, but try to minimize their use until they have cooled.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Just had my front brakes and rotors replaced and the first impression is that they feel spongy and with a fair amount of travel. I guess I’ll have to bed them in before having them purged right? Mechanic said it’s normal and that I’ll start to feel them better after a few hundred miles.

Is there a recommended bed in procedure for original Audi brakes?

Thanks!
Bedding in brakes as Warhead has outlined above, should be done immediately after you have the brake pads/rotors changed at the shop. If you don't bed them in immediately you are taking a chance that you will glaze the pads/rotors and need to remove the glaze manually by sanding the pads/rotors with sanding discs, etc.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 06-22-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, back from this bedding thing, could only speed up to 50mph because of speed limits in my area. Second try caused some burning smell and that was all, I don’t know if it’s the placebo effect or it actually worked but I don’t feel brakes that spongy now, still not nearly as short and hard bite as they used to be though. I’ll now drive gentle and don’t stress the brakes for a few days since by the end of next week I’ve got to drive 800 miles.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Well, back from this bedding thing, could only speed up to 50mph because of speed limits in my area. Second try caused some burning smell and that was all, I don’t know if it’s the placebo effect or it actually worked but I don’t feel brakes that spongy now, still not nearly as short and hard bite as they used to be though. I’ll now drive gentle and don’t stress the brakes for a few days since by the end of next week I’ve got to drive 800 miles.

Thank you all for your feedback.
The brake feel will get better as you use them. Don't baby them, use them as you normally would, as this will accelerate the best bite and feel.

Quick Reply: Brakes replacement