Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brilliant Black Or Moonlight Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brilliant Black Or Moonlight Blue?

Hi,

I'm considering changing my factory order on my 2012 Q5 from Brilliant Black to Moonlight Blue.

I went with the black at first as I felt it was the most sophisticated/upscale color out of the very limited color choices for 2012. Now that I see the Moonlight Blue I'm not so sure. Although I am a little concerned that the Q5, in certain light, could look like a large blueberry in the Moonlight Blue. So frustrating I can't see a Q5 yet in that color!

Any and all opinions are welcome. By the way, my interior will be black with either color. I'm not concerned with heat issues either with the black on black, I am solely concerned with exterior color and which one would make the Q5 feel more sophisticated.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1 Moonlight Blue!

I'm not impressed with the lack of colors offered for the 2012 Q5. It's essentially the gray scale (multiple whites, grays, blacks), and then the one blue.

Everyone and their mother these days drives something in the gray scale - I wanted something unique, especially since this will be the first year of this color, will definitely stand out from all the other Q5s driving around.

Here's a good pic of moonlight blue on an A7.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=12
Imo, I think it looks pretty sharp, and can't wait to see it on a Q5. (and don't think it looks at all like a blueberry)

In the end though, if my Q5 arrives in a few weeks and I decide I absolutely hate it, I'll just use my deposit and order a new one (prob with custom color).
Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM
iq5
Audiworld Junior Member

+2
It will be Moonlight Blue once I made my mind (after pricing/options)
Old 06-09-2011, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW !
That Blue is STUNNING on that A7... if it's the same on the Q5...
wish we had gotten it too as black Q5's seem to be EVERYWHERE, including in my wife's parking garage....

(but it would have been a 911 domestic dispute to get anything but black on black.... go figure, a blonde orders everything black - even our dog ! )
Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think you can go wrong with a Q5 in any of the 2012 colors that I've seen; they are a reflection of Audi's image and design aesthetic. That said, I would have been very pleased with more gray and black choices for my 2011. Although I believe the Q5 looks best in black, I chose Deep Sea Blue only to get the darkest color available that wasn't Brilliant Black. As I posted in response to Q5-NY's question about soft black paint, I ended up with a lot of swirls on my Brilliant Black '05 S4 and I didn't think it held up as well as it should have. Although I like the Moonlight Blue, I would have jumped at a metallic black. Your best decision was in selecting the Q5!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For the record for those who are tied to having your Q5 in black.. For 2012 you can now order it in Phatom Black - that is what i did. whiel soem we say Black is Black. thier is a clear differnce in the two
Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Moonlight....because I think it's going to look great on the Q5 and also because every one I see is black...that's why I decided on white I don't think it's going to look like a blueberry at all! I think the dark colors really stand out the best.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I appreciate all the opinions, thanks everyone! I am now leaning toward the Moonlight Blue but the hard part is cancelling my order, reordering and going to the back of the line!My Q5 is due in in mid July, so, so close....uggghhh. Nooooooooooooo!!!

Congrats on your new order Mrs. Adams, best of luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Some Pics Of Moonlight Blue From NYC!

Saw this A7 at the Audi Forum on Park Ave. in Manhattan today. Love the color, now it's definite, I have to cancel my Brilliant Black order (due in less than a month) and reorder in Moonlight Blue. It is indeed a wonderfully complex color with blacks, grays and of course, blues.

Best color of the bunch for 2012 IMHO. Enjoy!

Name:  photo(2).jpg
Views: 4061
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  photo(3).jpg
Views: 6220
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  photo(4).jpg
Views: 4722
Size:  66.2 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 4075
Size:  59.7 KB
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
WOW !
That Blue is STUNNING on that A7... if it's the same on the Q5...
wish we had gotten it too as black Q5's seem to be EVERYWHERE, including in my wife's parking garage....

(but it would have been a 911 domestic dispute to get anything but black on black.... go figure, a blonde orders everything black - even our dog ! )
It's easy to accessorize for us blondes!

Quick Reply: Brilliant Black Or Moonlight Blue?