Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Broken visor clip

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken visor clip

Has any one broken (and therefore had to fix/replace) the little half circle visor clip (see image below) that is used to hold the sun visor in place?

It's the oddest thing, but after 5-6 years of not having an issue with it, my wife broke it the other day. The entire clip snapped off. While I was investigating (by looking at the passenger side clip) to see if I could glue it back in, I accidentally broke the passenger one!

I don't know if over time they've just gotten brittle, or if it was due to the cold, but I know for certain that I wasn't putting any more than normal pressure on it when I was snapping the visor back into place.

In any case, does anyone know if this is an easy fix? I found the part online for under $10, but not sure about the labor involved...

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Busted a couple of them already. They're super easy to install, but the genuine Audi parts were a lot more than $10!
Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah..The $10 ones were on ebay...the real ones seem to be $35 or so. Not sure I want to spend $70... So far they aren't vibrating/rattling, so not really sure I need to replace them at all.

As we both have 2010s, can you advise as to what part # it is and where you got it from?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, my gf just broke one last week.

Beige color - 8U0857562AY22, about $26 at a parts dealer. If you don't mind waiting a couple weeks, one on eBay for $22.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I broke one last summer. Slapped the sun visor back in place one afternoon and it sheared right off. Took the clip out of the overhead & tried to crazy glue it (hey, I'm an honorary Scotsman) and that didn't help. So the next time I had the car in for service I gave the part to the service writer and said "Ah, I've never seen one of these bust off before, but can you replace it for less than a fortune or can I just order it from parts?" and the WONDERFUL man said "Yeah, they break off all the time, don't worry, we'll warranty it and replace it for you. No charge."

So, it ain't just you. The dealers know, Audi has failed to build those properly, they apparently are a common fail. I'd have no problem going aftermarket to replace it, there's no reason that bit of plastic should cost more than a buck for whoever is having them made.

I might try the $10 sold-on-tv gizmos that use a UV-cured resin, it squeezes out of the gizmo and then you turn the gizmo around and cure it with a UV LED set into the other end. UV cured resins just might be the way to reglue that better than new.

If the visor clips on the cheapest Detroit models from the 1960's never broke off...Oh, Audi, someone needs to be taken out back and beaten, soundly.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Broke one in the old Q5 as well. Replaced under warranty. The service manager said they keep them in stock in all colors because the break so often.

Not sure why it's not a metal part. Would solve the problem easily.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Broke one too. The dealer replaced it under warranty (15K miles). Service Advisor said Audi is aware they're a problem, so much so that they keep them in stock.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

3400 mile loaner 2016 lightly equipped 2.0T I got from dealer this afternoon has a broken driver's one too. It still has only paper (no) plates even! Same issue back to my 2000 A6 for that matter, with approx. the same plastic clip. Not exactly the fastest design improvement cycle...

Almost got a new Q7 to try, but they didn't have the right DMV paperwork with the vehicle yet. Oh well.

BTW, off topic but I checked trip computer. As usual for nearly new loaners I have gotten several times, never cleared since new and shows same 3400 ish miles. Shows 19.5 mpg since the get go and average speed in the high 20s. Pretty typical for the Q5 loaners I have gotten there, and ave. speed reflects ever increasing Bay Area traffic mess. Anyway, 19.5MPG on a straight 2.0T just using trip computer--likely a little optimistic if anything until calibrated--is nothing to write home about. Very speed/average driving conditions dependent from what I've seen.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-27-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've broken off 3 of these little PITAs. The last one was out of warranty and beyond Audi Care (50K miles) but the service guy got one installed for $42, usually $65. Audi certainly is proud of their parts, judging by the prices.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've broken 2 and audi replaced them for free

Quick Reply: Broken visor clip